migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hysterectomy

+4
Cathy
estre004
survivor
Megan45
8 posters

Go down

Hysterectomy Empty Hysterectomy

Post  Megan45 Thu May 06, 2010 8:21 pm

I have had menustraul migraines for about 8 yrs. now. I am going to be getting a hysterectomy later this month. My dr. thinks this will help my migraines. I sure hope so. I know that some people find relief after a hysterectomy and unfortunately some people are worse off after a hysterectomy. I have just decided to go ahead with it. I am so tired of being in pain for days on end every month. Sometimes I get migraines when I am stressed too. I have to miss alot of work and whats even worse is when I try to tough it out and then wish I would have just called in to work b/c Im in so much pain. There is nothing worse then having to work with a migraine. No
Megan45
Megan45

Back to top Go down

Hysterectomy Empty Re: Hysterectomy

Post  survivor Fri May 07, 2010 7:39 am

I wish you well.

I couldn't tell from your post but I hope you are having the hysterectomy for reasons other than migraines. I wouldn't trust a dr that would do the surgery for that reason alone.

I had one and it did not help with the migraines. But my aunt said hers did. We both had hysterectomies because of cancer.

Btw, there are much worse things than working w/a migraine. In the migraine realm going to an amusement park tops my list. Or, watching my child have a migraine. I work most days w/ a migraine. It's just a fact of life anymore.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri May 07, 2010 7:54 am

Megan45 - I agree with survivor. I wouldn't have it for migraines alone. My sister had one and that is when she started having migraines. I know someone else though that did find some relief. It is hit or miss. I've gone through menopause (which I was told would end them). They got worse.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Fri May 07, 2010 8:10 am

A good friend had one and her migraines went away completely. When I needed one, I was hoping that mine would go too. Unfortunately, that was not the case for me and they continued to get worse instead of better. Let's hope you're one of the lucky ones!

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri May 07, 2010 9:07 am

I agree. Not worth it for the possible migraine improvement.
Dont think that would be done in UK anyway.
All the best with the op.

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Fri May 07, 2010 10:02 am

I had one when I was 30 for a prolapsed uterus and a freaked out ovary. Didn't help the migraines one little bit. But not having to deal with periods anymore is really nice!
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawn Fri May 07, 2010 10:04 am

I was one of those people that had menstrual migraines. My docs came up with the idea that my migraines were caused by fluxuations of hormones before and during my period. They thought once I got the surgery that the migraines would go away since I would have a steady dose of estrogen...WRONG!

Migraines got 10 times worse, not better. They did go away for close to a year and then came back with a vengence! Now instead of getting migraines once a month, I get 8 days straight of migraines, and 7 days without! Now I am stuck in this terrible cycle...for God knows how long!

Having migraines suck, but I never thought they would get worse than they already were...Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck to you, Dawn
Dawn
Dawn

http://www.greenourliving.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri May 07, 2010 1:00 pm

I am one who is still "intact". But the whole hormone thing is still a bit of a mystery. It is true some women get migraines for the first time after a hysterectomy. It is also true, as with myself, that migraines start with menopause. Mine just got worse and worse the further into it I got, and now 5 years on, they are still the same.

Of course removing the "mechanics" is only one part of it.
The Pineal, Pituitary and Hypothalamus are all still there, so the brain can still be going through the motions regardless of the more physical side.

It doesn't explain why some get worse and some get better with surgery.
Nor why some of us with no surgical intervention get worse with menopause, and others get better.
Yet another enigma for us.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  ShelliB Sat May 08, 2010 11:35 am

It didn't help me at all. I had a hysterectomy for endometriosis....both ovaries are gone so I was hopefull it would help. My neuro explained that the hypothalamous gland still cycles as normal thus still the migraines. Sad
ShelliB
ShelliB

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat May 08, 2010 11:46 am

. My neuro explained that the hypothalamous gland still cycles as normal thus still the migraines.

That's two of us with that thought then....

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down