migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Experiencing crazy aura (?) symptoms

+4
Ivy
lizholmesod
HeelerLady
jwar
8 posters

Go down

Experiencing crazy aura (?) symptoms Empty Experiencing crazy aura (?) symptoms

Post  jwar Mon May 03, 2010 6:35 pm

So about an hour ago I was walking my dog when suddenly my right pinky went completely numb. The numbness spread into my ring finger, then my middle finger, pointer and thumb. Then it moved up my arm and a patch on the right side of my face became numb. Now my entire right arm is pins and needles and the right side of my neck is in extreme pain. I'm also having a headache on my right side. I hesitate to call it a migraine because it seems a little bit more diffuse than my migraine pain usually is (usually localized in one spot only near the back of my head, but it's hurting both there and in my forehead and very intensely in my neck).

I'm 29 years old. I suffer classic migraine with (visual) aura and have never experienced anything like this before. Have any of you experienced something like this? I am honestly debating going to the hospital, but the idea of going to the ER and having a brain MRI (I have done this so many times - had a tumor removed from my brain last year and honestly hope to never deal with the hospital/MRIs again) is nauseating to me. I'm sure it's some sort of new manifestation of migraine, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about it.
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Experiencing crazy aura (?) symptoms Empty Re: Experiencing crazy aura (?) symptoms

Post  HeelerLady Mon May 03, 2010 6:43 pm

I'm the same age but don't have the classic aura's. I've noticed of late pain and numbness in my face and neck as well as visual disturbances (mainly my eyes see double and won't focus). I've also noticed my tremors getting worse when things are bad but that's just me. I know others have described what you've described so I know others have had it too. It may be your symptoms changing a bit but if you start to have mental issues or can't move that side at all, I'd go to the ER just to make sure you weren't having a stroke. Just keep an eye on it...
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Experiencing crazy aura (?) symptoms Empty Re: Experiencing crazy aura (?) symptoms

Post  jwar Mon May 03, 2010 6:55 pm

The sudden spreading numbness is what really freaked me out, but now I have a wicked, wicked migraine so I guess I'm okay. Shocked

I guess I thought I was too old/have dealt with migraines for too long to have this disease suddenly manifest with new symptoms. But I suppose that means that once again I fooled myself into thinking I can predict the nature of the beast - and everytime I've ever started to think that about migraines they have proven me wrong.
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  lizholmesod Tue May 04, 2010 5:33 am

Alas, yes, this is a constant feature of my migraines. Every time. Usually just after the visual aura disappears (for the first time, I have recurring visual auras throughout each migraine). Another joy to add to the list! Sorry this has started with you, too.
LHx

lizholmesod

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Tue May 04, 2010 6:34 am

I don't have aura, but I have experienced numbness and pins in my fingers and in my feet. I have them also right now - I've just taken my abortive and I'm waiting for the miracle...
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue May 04, 2010 7:37 am

Howdy

My neurologist explained my migraine episodes as follows:

Brain cells are named "neurons." they look like a cell with tendrils ... real similar to the ponytail thingie-bob in "Avatar," the tendrils almost but not quite touch between neurons. chemicals pass over this tiny gap to cary messages from neuron to neuron. Like a chain reaction, neuron A tell B who tells C that "that image on the eye is a cat" - for example,

During a migraine episode, the chemicals get screwed up. Neuron A wants to tell B that I feel a slight breeze on my hand. BUT the message misses B and goes to C - who tries to interpret the message and pass it on to D ... but the message goes to F who tries to interpret and pass it on to G ... but it goes to P instead.

It all happens in micro-seconds ... gets screwed up real fast. The net result is that nerve message from my hand (it is cool out today) ends up being (can't feel a thing).

In my case, the messages get so screwed up that during a good episode I can't speak clearly, walk in a straight line, think well, or feel parts of my body ... just like you describe.

I also experience your numbness over my entire body from the neck down on occasiion. Usually starts with my legs and hands and creeps over my entire body. My neurologists says the best way to describe this phenonena is that my body is going to sleep - but my mind and head are wide awake.

Maybe your hand and arm and cheek simply "went to sleep" in reaction to whacko neuron messages getting screwed up? who knows.

Whenever there is a significant new symptom, such as you describe, I believe it is good tospeak with a doctor sooner rather than later. It may be migraine, it may be stroke, it may be something entirely different. In your shoes, I would seek out medical care - even though I, too, hate hospitals and MRI's.
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Experiencing crazy aura (?) symptoms Empty numbness and migraines

Post  charmed quark Tue May 04, 2010 7:44 am

Apparently that is a not uncommon symptom of certain types of migraines. Normally the numbness resolves quickly.

I get right-sided numbness with migraines, but mine persists for many days or weeks. Apparently in my case an underlying condition
causes both the migraines and the numbness. For the longest time I was told it might be relapsing/remitting MS.

So in any case, it is always a good idea to discuss these new symptoms with your doctor.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue May 04, 2010 8:10 am

Richard wrote:
During a migraine episode, the chemicals get screwed up. Neuron A wants to tell B that I feel a slight breeze on my hand. BUT the message misses B and goes to C - who tries to interpret the message and pass it on to D ... but the message goes to F who tries to interpret and pass it on to G ... but it goes to P instead.

Why does this sound like a game of Telephone that went horribly awry. But it makes sense. Hope it passed jwar. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  newtothis Tue May 04, 2010 9:55 am

I get the same with my migraines however I get it on both sides. Feels like novicane (sp) wearing off when it hits my face and neck. The arms feel like bugs crawling and loose clothing drives me crazy when I have it.

Debbie
newtothis
newtothis

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Tue May 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Richard wrote:Whenever there is a significant new symptom, such as you describe, I believe it is good tospeak with a doctor sooner rather than later. It may be migraine, it may be stroke, it may be something entirely different. In your shoes, I would seek out medical care - even though I, too, hate hospitals and MRI's.

Jwar, I agree with Richard. If I were you, I'd seek medical care and get an opinion just to be safe.

And you're not too old to experience changes in your migraines. Mine continue to progress, change and manifest themselves in new ways continually (I'm 48).

I used to experience numbness and tingling often, now it's rarely. Now I suffer from more pressure in my eyes, blurred vision and inability to read, etc. My neck is more involved now than ever before.

Please get it checked out to make sure something else hasn't developed. I'll keep you in my prayers. I love you flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down