migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iced Coffee

4 posters

Go down

Iced Coffee Empty Iced Coffee

Post  lesherb Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:04 pm

I signed up for and today, received a sample of Dunkin' Donuts Coffee (in the mail). I don't drink hot coffee. I will drink iced coffee, though and I love iced coffee from Dunkin' Donuts.

So, my friends, how do I make it? I like it with milk and sugar. I have a coffee maker.

If I make a whole pot of coffee, will it keep in my fridge or go bad? (I know hot coffee sitting in the pot all day gets bitter or something).

Help!
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Iced Coffee Empty Re: Iced Coffee

Post  AuntieBubbs Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:43 pm

What I do is brew it double strength and then put it in a pitcher and put it in the fridge. Add cream and sugar as you drink it. I add sugar free syrup (vanilla) because I don't like sugar, splenda does not give me migraines, and syrup mixes with cold liquid well.
The coffee will keep in the fridge for maybe 5 days.

Double strength is necessary because coffee gets watery when you add ice.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks! Maybe I should make ice cubes out of coffee to avoid diluting it?

How long can I keep the coffee in the fridge? I won't drink more than one glass a day, at the very most.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:40 pm

AuntieBubbs wrote:The coffee will keep in the fridge for maybe 5 days.

Making ice cubes out of the coffee is a good idea, too. I still would brew it extra strength though, because melting ice cubes will still dilute the flavor, IMO. I know Starbucks brews theirs extra strength, cuz way back when I got out of college, I worked there, and I've asked them, they still do.
Maybe it has something to do with the process of chilling that takes away from the strength of the flavor?

Have fun though - I love to make iced coffee at home, esp. in the warmer months.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Gosh, you must think me a rube! I completely passed by the 5 days statement!

Thanks again for the info. I am eager to wake up tomorrow so I can have some!
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:43 pm

No worries, we all do it. Smile
You don't want to keep it more than that, it'll probably go bad, get rancid, or whatever, because of not having any preservatives. It's kind of like home brewed ice tea, but I don't think it keeps as well.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:30 pm

thanks for the recipe Auntibubbs.

I too love Iced Coffee Leslie.

Will be making some tomorrow!

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:40 pm

The most important ingredient in ice coffee is to have fresh home roasted beans. I save a lot of money, better quality beans and more choice of bean types by roasting my own.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My wife grows pepper mint and spearmint. I pick 3-4 leaves, fill up the espresso cup with ground coffee and then put the crumpled up mint leaves on the top. Then run it through, pour it over ice and add rice milk.

With home roasting I can also make white coffee which very light with full strength caffeine. The more it's roasted the more caffeine it loses. Very light (tan) coffee has the highest caffeine levels.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Iced Coffee Empty Leslie's Coffee Frappé

Post  lesherb Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:42 am

I am drinking my own version of a coffee frappé! I made the coffee, last night, in my coffee maker, as it cooled I added sugar. I transferred it to a suitable container for the fridge once it was room temperature.

This morning I grabbed some ice cubes and put them in the blender with a cup of the coffee, some half & half and milk.

It's yummy!

Now I have to add coffee to my shopping list!
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:37 am

Leslie, that's awesome. Smile We do that here sometimes too. Nonfat milk, and splenda, or sugar-free vanilla, to keep the calories down. It's really good too! And yummy in the summer. And much cheaper than Starbucks or Coffee Bean. Very Happy

Enjoy!
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down