migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head, Neck, Shoulders, Upper Back

+3
pen
mxgo
tecky
7 posters

Go down

Head, Neck, Shoulders, Upper Back Empty Head, Neck, Shoulders, Upper Back

Post  tecky Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:32 am

I recently slowly titrated off amitriptyline after being on it for 3-4 months (second unsuccessful attempt). It caused severe heartburn and other intestinal problems that no other meds could counteract. Made me miserable.

Like with nortriptyline (which I took for 4 years) after I titrated off it, I seem to be having worse problems than ever. Almost like having a never-ending flu. The withdrawal problems when I went off nortriptyline lasted months.

My upper back, shoulders and neck are so tight and painful it almost takes my breath away. I just can't seem to get any relief. I use microwave moist heat packs, Icy Hot, various other pain creams, muscle relaxers, hot showers, massage by my husband, ice.....but nothing seems to help. This, in turn, makes sleeping uncomfortable and eventually escalates the migraine pain.

I religiously do my PT stretches twice daily, and have been trying to take short walks (sometimes very short) outside at least 4-5 days/week.

Of course, the migraines have been worse. They're always there, but have been more intensified and more difficult to control.

Anyone have these problems withdrawing from preventative meds? Problems with neck, shoulders and upper back? Any suggestions or tips?

I see my doctor in Chicago on Monday (4/19), finally, but I really don't want to try any more preventatives (and that's on the top of my list of questions/concerns--that I don't want to try any more preventatives). I've been through just about everything out there, sometimes 2-3 times.

I'm so weary of feeling so awful from the side-effects, and I just want to have the pain gone for a few hours. Is that so much to ask?

Thanks for any suggestions or feedback you can provide! You're all such a huge blessing to me.

Becky flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Head, Neck, Shoulders, Upper Back Empty Re: Head, Neck, Shoulders, Upper Back

Post  mxgo Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:58 am

Becky, this may work for you, to me, the exercises are much more effective than stretches:

These (the Anat Baniel Method) are a variation of somatic exercises for the neck and shoulder that may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo99aLekHCc&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMIxfCSoLX4&feature=related

They are fairly effective. They do give the muscles a work out. While the left shoulder is still a little tight. They have eliminated the soreness and muscle spasms that I used to experience.

Stretch exercises given to me by a PT did not do as much as the above exercises did for me. My neuromuscular therapist also recommended the above exercises to me. She also said that stretches are not as effective as somatic exercises.

The exercises are done very, very slow and do not force the movement. They are done gently and only do four or five at a time. As you do them, focus on the movement.

I hope they help.
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:39 am

Thanks for posting these. I have awful one sided neck pain not sure if it is cause or effect with the migraines.The neuro told me to find a"manipulative physiotherapist". So far I haven't managed to find one.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:23 pm

pen, I also do not know if the muscles are the cause or the effect.

I try to do the exercises as soon as I get up or after my shower to loosen the muscles after the night's sleep. That is what cats do, they stretch, after taking a nap.
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:41 pm

Thank you so much.

I could almost feel the tension releasing just watching the videos. It really does look like a much better method for relaxing tension, which is my primary problem.

Becky flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:43 pm

becky,

i'm glad you're going to see your doc. do these pains come and go at certain time, or can you provoke them?

explain in detail to your doc.

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:10 am

Heat will only make it worse, it's produces inflammation. I can bank on at least two to three people each week that come to me after using heat on a sore muscle(s). It will make muscle/tendon pain go from bad to worse. It does feel good at first but within 24 hrs you will pay hell for it. So a lot of people never make the connection and keep doing it.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:11 am

mxgo: Thanks so much for the suggestion on the AB method. I felt more tension release doing this than anything else I've tried.

The PT stretches always seem to induce tension pain in my head triggering an escalation of my migraine (which is always present) pain.

Wish it was easier to do in a car or in an airport because my worst problems are when I'm traveling.

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Becky flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:24 am

Becky, you might look at the DVD, that Anat Baniel sells on her web site for office workers:

http://www.anatbanielmethod.com/products-by-area.htm

unfortunately, there is not a demo of the exercises.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:35 am

Becky,
is it possible that your problems come from wrong posture?
A chiroptractor can be very helpful in this case.

Also acupuncture can help a lot for the stiffness and the contracted muscles.
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Thanks, Martin, I will check into the DVD.

Thanks for your suggestions, Ivy, but my experience with chiropractors has been that they just made it worse and which severly aggravated the migraines. Not a good experience. I've tried two long trials of acupuncture with no real benefit, other than a break to relax. I may give it one more go, because I do believe in its health benefits.

Thanks.

Becky flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:39 am

Becky, sorry I posted these exercises under the wrong heading. These may help and save you the price of the Anat Baniel DVD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO4Dpb7Mx58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t15xUQLJEE&feature=related

Again, only do four or five and very slowly. I am doing the eye movement exercise, without moving the neck, and I can feel the SCM muscles on the side of the neck. The neuromuscular therapist also told me about the exercise.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:50 am

tecky wrote:Thanks, Martin, I will check into the DVD.

Thanks for your suggestions, Ivy, but my experience with chiropractors has been that they just made it worse and which severly aggravated the migraines. Not a good experience. I've tried two long trials of acupuncture with no real benefit, other than a break to relax. I may give it one more go, because I do believe in its health benefits.

Thanks.

Becky flower

The chiropractors I work with use motion palpation. That is where they only adjust the areas of the spine and neck that are not mobile. They leave the rest alone. Too many chiros blast the entire spine which stresses out the areas that are moving.

Chiros are as different as apples and oranges and they do not all adjust the same. Some are just flat out dangerous and should not touch anyone. So you don't want to judge the profession by the actions of just one or two.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:04 am

I agree with Brent. They aren't all the same. I've seen a few over the years and found one that is really good. He adjusts only the worst spots and will let it sit for a day or two and then adjust others if necessary.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:23 pm

I agree with you on giving up the preventatives. I think any kind of physical therapy would be healthier.
My theory--nothing I read or heard--is that our migraines are all caused for different reasons and that is why they treat us all different and we all respond differently. Without knowing "what" is causing our migraines individually, preventatives are just a hit and miss game--most of them miss and cause other problems on top of the migraine. I would rather get to the bottom of the exact cause of MY migraine (not somebody else's). Of course, that is pretty wishful thinking but I can still hope (and keep myself as drug free as possible by skipping the preventative part and just dealing with the migraines as they come).

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks, Martin. These have given me some hope for my neck and upper back where everything else aggravates it. I do appreciate it so much.

Thanks Brent and Becky regarding getting the right chiro. The one I went to has such a good "word of mouth" reputation among co-workers, family, neighbors, you name it. Everyone said he was the best. I'm the only one I know of that's had a bad reaction to his chiro treatment (which is awfully good for being in a small town and very rural area). Someday, maybe I'll work up the never to try another.

Estre004: Yes, I just don't know about the preventatives. I just don't want to subject my body to the side-effects I've had with the last several. I've been trying to find something for about 15 years. Since I currently have daily migraines, I'm curious to see if treating for pain only may slow things down. Right now, things are pretty bad, but I'm hoping after some time off the amitriptyline (it took a few months after nortriptyline), my body will readjust and things may calm down. It's worth a try since I've tried just about everything else preventative-wise.

Thanks all for your support and encouragement.

Becky I love you flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down