migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How soon do anti-depressants start working?

+6
crt
tecky
AuntieBubbs
milo
LG
Paradox
10 posters

Go down

How soon do anti-depressants start working? Empty How soon do anti-depressants start working?

Post  Paradox Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:37 pm

I've been on my new regime of 25 mg of doxepin at night and daily opioids for pain control for a little over a week. Instead of waking up five times a night, I've been getting up one-two times. I'm waking up rested and refreshed.

Today was the first time I've even had a niggle of an M, but it was easily controllable and stayed at about a 2.

Has the doxepin had time to kick in yet? Or is it a combination of rest and pain control? All I know is I've been in a fantastic mood, and wouldn't trade this for anything.

I haven't had any weight gain, but don't know the causation. Yes, I'm eating more, but I'm also up and moving so I'm burning off calories that I wasn't before.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

How soon do anti-depressants start working? Empty Re: How soon do anti-depressants start working?

Post  LG Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:52 pm

I just want to say I am so happy you are feeling better. I don't know how long it takes, I'd imagine they could effect you now at two weeks...any drug could have some sort of effect once it takes hold of your system. I do know that it takes a bit to get the full effect of it though, at least from an "anti-depressant" standpoint.

Still, it is such great news to hear you have had a good week. Very Happy It makes my day to see you happy!
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

How soon do anti-depressants start working? Empty Re: How soon do anti-depressants start working?

Post  milo Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:54 pm

anti-depressants typically take 4-6 weeks at a therapeutic dose to improve mood, but that doesn't mean it isn't helping yours. Smile
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:18 pm

I was on Cymbalta as a preventative about 2 years ago, 25mg, a low dose as far as acting as an anti-depressant goes. I felt a difference in my mood after 3-4 weeks. I didn't feel a huge difference, but I did feel a difference.
It didn't effect my m's enough to stay on as a m preventative when weighed against the cons of taking something that affects serotonin levels along with imitrex (ie, both cymbalta and imitrex affect serotonin) so I didn't stay with cymbalta but that's another story.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:58 am

For me, the anti-depressants usually take anywhere from 4-8 weeks to kick in. Sometimes an increased dose is required to make any noticeable difference. Unfortunately, it seems like awful side-effects start after just a couple days.

I'm so glad you're having good days and nights. Good sleep is such a blessing. Sleep I pray the good stuff continues. You deserve it, "Charlotte".

Becky flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 am

Hmmm...so far I'm very happy with my new regime, but it's interesting to know that if I have problems with doxepin, perhaps I can continue to have success with a good sleeping pill.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:20 pm

If you're talking about SSRIs, I feel a change very quickly. Doctors have always told me it takes about 2 weeks to have an effect. When I've been off them for awhile, I feel better in a day. Makes me think that my serotonin is really low naturally. Or perhaps it's just the placebo effect. Whatever the case may be, I am grateful for the quick relief.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:37 pm

It's a tricyclic. I'm always so sensitive to side effects of drugs, I'm wondering if that's why I'm feeling a change a so soon. I don't think it's a placebo effect. I've tried so many other things before w/o success.

It's been around for so long, I didn't even have to pay anything for it. No co-pay with my insurance. Niiiiiiicce.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

How soon do anti-depressants start working? Empty Doxepin

Post  lesherb Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:51 pm

I am so happy it is working for you! I suffer from insomnia terribly and looked Doxepin up online to see if it would help me. I've been on Paxil CR for a few years (which is an SSRI) for prevention but mostly for anxiety relief. I don't believe it helps me with my migraines but it does help immensely with anxiety.

I am going to ask my doctor about the Doxepin. My one concern is the side effect of weight gain. I really don't need any help in that area. In fact, I am considering offering up my overabundance on Craig's List if anyone's interested (I'm joking....unless you can give away body fat that way...let me know if this is possible, PLEASE!!) lol
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:12 pm

Leslie, so far so good with no weight gain. I'm already hefting around a extra 35 lbs. and wasn't anxious to add to it, but I was so desperate I wasn't going to turn my nose up at anything. I didn't care if I had extra weight for my son's wedding. I just didn't want to be in the ER during the reception

It's been almost two weeks and I haven't gained a pound. I have had a little more of a sweet tooth, but it's easily satiated with three or four oreo's (double stuffed, of course. I'm waiting for the day they make triple stuffed).

Since I'm feeling better and rested I'm moving around a lot more. Since I have adequate pain relief now too, my back is getting better. I'm not walking bent forward, nor limping. Both were keeping the sacri-iliac joint irritated and I was in a real Catch-22. I'm hoping in a couple weeks I can stop going in for PT.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

How soon do anti-depressants start working? Empty tricyclics

Post  charmed quark Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:28 pm

With me, I started noticing a change in my migraines at about 1 week, gradually increasing for another week or two. My dose was too small to have any impact on my moods.

Side effects started being noticeable around 1 month after I started.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:39 am

I went to a clinical depression conference last summer for CE credits. The newest info on the SSNRI's is that it's close to three months before the med really starts to work therapeutically. That doesn't mean you won't feel some improvements before then but that is the latest research.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

How soon do anti-depressants start working? Empty doxepin

Post  dailyha-rose Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:06 pm

boy, i do not remember that one. the other name sinequan is familiar. probably one of many that i tried but did not work. i have found about a 2 week period before i notice any change good or bad and lasting or not. great news if you are sleeping. isn't half the battle to get a real nights sleep. pain is much more intense when we are sleep deprived. i hope if you are feeling better that it continues and becomes permanent.
rose

dailyha-rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down