migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preventatives--how well do they work?

+2
LG
estre004
6 posters

Go down

Preventatives--how well do they work? Empty Preventatives--how well do they work?

Post  estre004 Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:16 am

I'm starting a new topic after reading gaigigi's post on too many preventatives. How many of you take preventatives that you absolutely know for sure have made a big difference in your migraines? Putting aside side effects (some of which could be harmful), think of the millions of dollars spent every year on these. I would like to hear some really positive outcomes--not that they "seem" to help "some".

estre004

Back to top Go down

Preventatives--how well do they work? Empty Re: Preventatives--how well do they work?

Post  LG Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:35 am

I know my preventative helps me. I am absolutely sure it has saved my life, along with my rescue medications. However, if I didn't have my topamax I'd be in agony every day. I wouldn't accept large sums of money to be taken off this drug, I see it as the thing that gave me some of my life back.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Preventatives--how well do they work? Empty Re: Preventatives--how well do they work?

Post  pen Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:56 am

Who made the suggestion to call these reducers? I think if we posed the same question calling them that....
Well I still couldn't say one of them has made a jot of difference at all...Sorry. Mad

Ah it was Richard who suggested it...

Last edited by pen on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  lizholmesod Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:15 am

My REDUCER is dothiepin (dosulepin/prothieden) which I believe isn't available in the US. I have to say that coupled with a regime of diet, exercise, sleep, and water, it's a God-send. Every time I've tried to cut down, without fail, migraines have come back violently (and that's with sensible cutting down over several months, not cold turkey).

I couldn't cope without mine. Despite the fact that they're anti-depressants and I'm not depressed, I've come to accept that I'll likely take it (or something similar) for the rest of my life. I'm grateful I've found something that works.

LHx

lizholmesod

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:19 am

I had a brief moment of reduction (about 3 months) with Namenda

http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine/medications-193210-5.html
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:26 am

I wish we could set aside semantics and the discussion to call them reducers from this thread. The medical community calls them preventatives; so for the sake of being consistent, I personally would call them what the accepted medical term is.
IMO, these drugs do more than just reduce migraines, that's why they're called preventatives. For me, topomax has PREVENTED me from becoming an angry, bitter, unhappy person who is always in pain. I'll take that over the alternative any day.

Otherwise, I totally second what LG says. I'm on the same preventative and it has worked wonders for me as well. It did give me my life back. And I'm lucky in that the side effects for me are negligible.
No amount of money would convince me to go off of it and return to the migraine pattern I was in. I had no life, or rather, I had a life that was ruled by migraines and at the mercy of too many abortives and rescue meds that never really took away the pain. I'm convinced I lost at least one job because of it. I had no quality of life.

So for me, topomax as a preventative has been a lifesaver.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:40 am

AuntieBubbs wrote:I wish we could set aside semantics and the discussion to call them reducers from this thread. The medical community calls them preventatives; so for the sake of being consistent, I personally would call them what the accepted medical term is.
IMO, these drugs do more than just reduce migraines, that's why they're called preventatives. For me, topomax has PREVENTED me from becoming an angry, bitter, unhappy person who is always in pain. I'll take that over the alternative any day.

Otherwise, I totally second what LG says. I'm on the same preventative and it has worked wonders for me as well. It did give me my life back. And I'm lucky in that the side effects for me are negligible.
No amount of money would convince me to go off of it and return to the migraine pattern I was in. I had no life, or rather, I had a life that was ruled by migraines and at the mercy of too many abortives and rescue meds that never really took away the pain. I'm convinced I lost at least one job because of it. I had no quality of life.

So for me, topomax as a preventative has been a lifesaver.

I have to agree. Yes, guys. Lets put aside battle of terms and just say they REDUCE migraines but the medical community accepts the term PREVENTATIVE so when new people come and join us, lets not confuse the living bejesus out of them. Right?
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down