migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many Triptans?

+15
Casey
hpilgrim
alisultaneh
Janeinpain
rileyoday
estre004
hollygolightly
LG
crt
dcook60
SEB
Brenda
lesherb
Paradox
pen
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

How many Triptans? - Page 3 Empty Re: How many Triptans?

Post  pen Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:44 pm

Quick update. Really though I was goings to do better this month. Only had 4 up until 13th. The had to take another today so now 15....damn....
I get this run every so often and it comes with a load of hormone symptoms....Praying I wake without tomorrow and also Sunday, then I should be okay for 4/5 days.

Night all.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:07 pm

estre004 wrote:
I actually had a stroke, and it was caused from the migraine--not any drug. I wasn't using any medication at the time. They did extensive tests and ruled out everything that possibly could cause a stroke. I'm in tip top condition and very healthy. Their conclusion was that the migraine caused the stroke ......

Wow! Would you mind sharing what that experience was like? Symtoms, etc.? I know I for one am really scared when my M present w Stroke-like symptoms. I feel hearing your story could help me ( and I bet others ) know when to take our fears seriousely and seek medical attention.

Last edited by Stillhurtin on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:31 pm

Triptans are usually 1 in a day with a second IF the first works but the pain returns If it doesnt work take no more for that attack.

Oh, no, that's not quite correct - it depends on the triptan and on the dose - how many mg in the pill.
And on the individual.

Imitrex is available in 25 mg, 50 mg, or 100 mg. You may take no more than 200mg in any 24hr period.
So, logically, if you have 25 mg per pill you may take up to 4 pills a day (24 hrs). If 100mg - yes, only two.
The second dose can be taken after two hours after the first has passed.
http://www.rxlist.com/imitrex-drug.htm

Frova is available in 2.5mg oral pill and may be taken up to three pills in a single 24 hr period.
Now, with Frova there are differences between US and Canada manufacturers dosing recommendation -
the US allows the second dose after 2hrs and up to 7.5 mg in 24 hr (three pills) while Canada allows only 5mg and 4hrs space between the first and second dose. (could that have been the reason for Rx mishap?)

If your symptoms are only partly relieved, of if your headache comes back, the U.S. manufacturer recommends that you may take a second dose after 2 hours, but take no more than 7.5 milligrams (3 doses) in a 24-hour period. The Canadian manufacturer recommends that you may take a second dose after 4 hours, but take no more than 5 milligrams (2 doses) in a 24-hour period. Follow your doctor's direction carefully. If you have any questions, be sure to ask your doctor or pharmacist before you have to take this medication.

I haven't seen anywhere that you can take 4 pills in 24hr period.
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-22253-Frova+Oral.aspx?drugid=22253&drugname=Frova+Oral

Similarly, other triptans also are in varying doses - and depending on the dose you may take 2 or 4 tablets per day.

Now- what I mean about 'individual' - while indeed most doctors and all monographs advise not to take the second dose if the first didn't help, I find this totally untrue. I think this forewarning is said purely to be scott free of any liability, real or not. Like in the case of triptans not to be given to anybody under 18.
IMO there is no sense in this at all.
Why NOT take anymore if the first didn't work? maybe the first was simply NOT ENOUGH! just think about it.

I often have M where the first pill is totally useless, the second also, or barely touching the M, and only the third and fourth starts working on it.

And while by no means I am encouraging anyone to start popping triptans like candies - I do not- please take it under consideration that sometimes it takes the full daily allowable dose to stop this monster.
Sometimes supplemented with serious painkiller at that.

Now, but this is strictly mine and only mine way of taking triptans - nobody advised me to do that nor am I advising anyone to do so.
While the monographs always says to take the second dose after two hrs, no matter how many mg in the pill,
I figured since you may take for example 100mg at once of Imitrex, nothing terrible should happen if I take another 50mg after just one hr. If I am in absolute he**, and wish to die, why wait another hr? So if I am in total and utter agony, I do not wait.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:46 am

Stillhurtin - I really didn't have any symptoms other than the peripheral vision in one eye going blind for maybe 10 seconds. Since I was on the way to the doctor for a migraine in the first place I brought it up and they thought it was just part of the migraine process. It wasn't until a followup visit with a different doctor that he thought it was worth checking out. And it obviously was related to migraine with aura because I have not had an aura since the stroke 10 years ago.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:45 am

Linda have you seen the new Levadex drug hopefully coming out soon.
It is in inhaler form which is supposed to be better than nasal, not sure why.

How are you doing with your new found migraine freedom.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:24 am

No, I haven't heard about that. Thanks for the info. I'll bring it up to my neurologist. So far I am still doing pretty good. I did take some abortives Sunday night because I had a "feeling" that if I didn't I would get one. My head felt real heavy. I am definitely in a better place than I have been since I started getting these. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it remains this way.

It doesn't sound like you are doing well. Did you ever try Lyrica? I'm only asking because I heard it is also used for fibro so you would be getting double benefits out of it (if it worked).

estre004

Back to top Go down

How many Triptans? - Page 3 Empty Risa

Post  estre004 Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:33 am

I have to go along with Risa as far as taking more than "you should". I have taken more Migranol (DHE) than prescribed. After taking one vial, sometimes it just takes one extra squirt out of the second vial to work. I've done that many times. I'm not advocating taking more than your doctor says either, but I do it. I am 99 percent migraine free. Why would I settle for less. I also have taken abortives for preventatives. All I know is that what I do WORKS. I don't overdo it, but that "little" bit extra is what is keeping me migraine free. I doubt if there will be any consequences and even if there was, I choose to live normal. Life is way too short.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:34 pm

I wouldnt be against taking more than I should. According to some already do.
BUT
I dont get enough to do that really so have to take it easy.
I agree. Getting out of pain is all I can think about at the time

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3