migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good articles on migraine's relationship with stroke/heart attack/exercise

+2
alli
jwar
6 posters

Go down

Good articles on migraine's relationship with stroke/heart attack/exercise Empty Good articles on migraine's relationship with stroke/heart attack/exercise

Post  jwar Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:31 am

I'm sure most of you are aware but in case you aren't, research came out this year linking migraine prevalence with increased risk of stroke and heart attack. I thought I'd link some good articles on this info. Briefly, those who suffer with migraine have twice the risk of suffering a heart attack (migraine with aura = 3x the risk) and a 60% increased chance of stroke. Additionally, a low intensity exercise program was found to help migraine sufferers in terms of intensity/frequency/duration of attacks. These articles are listed below.

Note: I'm not trying to scare anyone by posting these, but we should be aware of the statistics. This way we can do other things in our lives (like exercise, eating less saturated fat, etc) to lower the risk. By the way, in my personal opinion, this should lay to rest the idea that migraine is only a "minor ailment" due to it not being able to directly kill you. Clearly, it can indirectly influence things that are not in our favor.

Heart attack article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100210161732.htm
Article discussing migraine's link with heart disease in women: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080417145757.htm

Stroke article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091028090654.htm

Articles on exercise: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090326141557.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090416102243.htm

Hope you find these links interesting.
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Good articles on migraine's relationship with stroke/heart attack/exercise Empty Re: Good articles on migraine's relationship with stroke/heart attack/exercise

Post  alli Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Good information. With all the neurological issues I have with migraines it makes me wonder what else is going on with my body. Just about every system is affected. I will have to get more vigilant about exercise. Smile I've cut out all the other major risk factors. My life is sooo staight laced and clean! I have no vices left.... unless you count chocolate.... which is really a neccesity, not a vice.

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Good articles on migraine's relationship with stroke/heart attack/exercise Empty Re: Good articles on migraine's relationship with stroke/heart attack/exercise

Post  Richard Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:25 am

Thanks for posting. Pray that I get a massive heart attack that sends me onward quickly. With my luck it will be a stroke and a long lingering death. Oh well ... shall face face that hurdle when it gets here.

ATTENTION WOMEN: Study after study shows that men get taken more seriously than women when they complain of chest pain. Yell, scream bloody murder if you have chest pain! MAKE the system take real good care of you. Yall are special people to me and I won't have you treated poorly - ever!
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:05 am

Richard,

I always figured I'd go by having a stroke. I just don't see how my life would turn out any other way. Happy thoughts!

It's very interesting to me from an academic standpoint on why heart attack risk would be so increased in migraineurs. Either the disease is highly related to a disease of the vasculature, which was originally believed and now is discounted as more of a neurological diseases, or maybe the stress/medications that go along with migraines up your chances. Either way, it shows that there's a much move involved physiological mechanism than what current research is delving into.

J
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:18 am

Really good articles, J. Thanks for posting them.

I knew about stroke but not about heart attacks. I thought the same things as Richard: Hope its a heart attack for me--->big and fast. Pretty sad actually. Have we given up? I guess it depends on what day you would be asking a migrainer.

I did know about the exersize from my own experience but it was nice to see in print. But it sure is hard to push through a cardio when your head is pounding.

Thanks, J.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:53 am

I know I posted a PM to jwar but heart disease is particularly nasty in my family and they say it starts to impact each generation younger (men seem to be worse than women - grandfather had first massive in his early 50's and uncle died from a massive at 36). The women seem to have more strokes but heart attack is not out of the question (at least in my family). I'm not yet 30 and have had a few warnings (cholesterol levels shouldn't be out of whack yet) and my mother has heart issues but doesn't have the classic heart disease flags. Ladies, please do what you can to take care of yourselves and if you have any concerns - see a doctor asap!
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:08 am

Thanks for posting the articles, jwar.

My family has a history of stroke and heart disease, so it is a great concern with me. I also worry about my sons potentially suffering from these diseases.

I'm also concerned with the connectionof migraine with vascular-type illness. Since ergot works so well for me in its capacity as a vascular constricter, it seems logical that the vascular system has a major association with migraine.

Thanks for your support of women and heart disease, Richard. Your words are comforting and informative. Women need to be more assertive with the medical institution in all areas, not just cardiovascular. Often we are treated differently than males by medical providers, especially with suggestion of the association of mental health disorders to any health complaints.

Becky flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down