migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone tried capsaicin for headache/neckache relief?

5 posters

Go down

Has anyone tried capsaicin for headache/neckache relief? Empty Has anyone tried capsaicin for headache/neckache relief?

Post  jwar Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:02 pm

I browse around on PubMed a lot looking for compounds that have been tried for migraines. I noticed that capsaicin (the stuff that makes chile peppers spicy) has been tried with some success for both migraine and cluster headaches. I decided to give it a try. I bought a nasal spray called Headache Buster which is basically just a capsaicin solution and I also bought a roll-on capsaicin dispenser from Walgreens.

For a really brutal migraine, neither of these things works for me for the headache, but I have to say that for some of the more mild-moderate headaches the nasal spray really seems to give me some relief. It's easier for me to get through the day if I have it. I've also had stunning success with the capsaicin roll-on stick. With my headaches comes very intense neck pain and by rolling the stick on my neck where it hurts I find the pain to be successfully mitigated. Even when I feel the slightest twinge of neck pain outside of having a migraine I roll the stuff on (sometimes a neck ache can turn into a migraine for me). I use it probably 5 days a week.

I've been using this remedy for about 6 weeks now and have had less migraines. That could just be a coincidental stretch of good time for me, though. But even when I do have pain I do find some relief. I was wondering if anyone else has tried it?
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried capsaicin for headache/neckache relief? Empty Re: Has anyone tried capsaicin for headache/neckache relief?

Post  tdu Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:34 pm

I have posted in several threads how I have had some success with Sinus Buster capsaicin nose spray. I think it's a great product. It definitely provides me some relief. I mainly use it when I have colds and sinus problems, but it helps with headaches as well (as you said, medium to mild not full blown). I have never tried anything like it for sinus problems though. It doesn't just dry up your sinuses like a lot of pills/sprays do. It completely flushes them out. Stuff literally pours out of my nose.

Most people's problem with it is that they find it too strong. They give it bad reviews on some sites because it's harsh. Well, it is a capsaicin nose spray. If you don't like the idea of something that will feel fairly harsh the first few times you take it, you picked the wrong product. People should know what to expect from reading the ingredients.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried capsaicin for headache/neckache relief? Empty Re: Has anyone tried capsaicin for headache/neckache relief?

Post  jwar Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:40 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one willing to squirt burning hot liquid into my nasal cavity. Very Happy The roll on stuff makes your skin feel like it has a terrible sunburn, too. Honestly though, I've learned to love the feeling of the burning because I know that it translates into relief for me.

I'm new to the forum and I neglected to search for your old posts! I had a bitch of a migraine last week that the spray wouldn't touch, but it was the first one in a long time that got out of control.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw my experiences with it out there for people to see. It really amazes me that after all of the money I've spent on medications, alternative therapies and supplements, that $20 worth of capsaicin products have helped me more than anything. By an amazing turn of circumstance I get to go on a free two week European vacation with my sister and nephew in a month and before I found capsaicin I was DREADING going, knowing that I'd have no control whatsoever over my level of pain (especially because I have to share a small hotel room with them - fun and also eep!), but now I think with the nose spray I'll be able to have some control. That kind of security is worth so much to me.
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried capsaicin for headache/neckache relief? Empty hi jwar

Post  Guest Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:45 pm

something else that might be useful for you. Tiger Balm. and cheap. and longlasting.

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:36 am

jwar wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one willing to squirt burning hot liquid into my nasal cavity. Very Happy The roll on stuff makes your skin feel like it has a terrible sunburn, too. Honestly though, I've learned to love the feeling of the burning because I know that it translates into relief for me.

I'm new to the forum and I neglected to search for your old posts! I had a bitch of a migraine last week that the spray wouldn't touch, but it was the first one in a long time that got out of control.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw my experiences with it out there for people to see. It really amazes me that after all of the money I've spent on medications, alternative therapies and supplements, that $20 worth of capsaicin products have helped me more than anything. By an amazing turn of circumstance I get to go on a free two week European vacation with my sister and nephew in a month and before I found capsaicin I was DREADING going, knowing that I'd have no control whatsoever over my level of pain (especially because I have to share a small hotel room with them - fun and also eep!), but now I think with the nose spray I'll be able to have some control. That kind of security is worth so much to me.

Where I find it benefits me is at night time. There are a lot of nights where I am going to sleep and I have a slight tinge on a headache. I do get other types of headaches beyond migraines, so it's always tough to decide what to do treatment wise. I find if I take the spray in those situations, I frequently don't wake up in the night with a blistering headache. Which is a nice alternative to having to medicate myself silly, and waking up like a zombie in the morning.

It's not something that works 100% of the time, and it's another treatment were timing is everything. But I've had enough success with it that I generally recommend it to people to at least try out.

Capsaicin is a pretty amazing substance. They even had some success regrowing hair in some studies they did with it (on mice). It has a lot of different therapeutic uses. The 'burn' does take some adjustment though. And the hard lesson everyone learns at least once is to wash your heads REALLY well after applying any creams that contain it. You do not want to accidentally transfer it somewhere else on your body.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:33 am

Jwar, I'm glad you found it to be so helpful. Maybe you want to consider taking cayenne pepper capsules orally as a preventative measure. At least one person here found a benefit from doing that. And perhaps turmeric capsules also.

We took our daughter to Duke last summer, and my husband and I drove to Chapel Hill. We really enjoyed seeing all the chapels/churches. Had the most amazing biscuit sandwiches in Chapel Hill Smile

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:36 am

Cheryl,

I've been taking 4 cayenne capsules a day since I discovered that capsaicin helps me. I really hope that they are helping because I've been feeling better. Of course, as we all know, that could be a coincidental fluke. But for now I'm going to roll with it.

Where did you eat biscuit sandwiches down here? I moved to the South from the greater NYC area in order to attend graduate school. It's been a big culture shock for me and I miss a lot of the foods I'm used to, like good bagels and pizza. But the biscuit sandwiches make up for it to some degree. Very Happy

Jayme
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried capsaicin for headache/neckache relief? Empty re: the capsules

Post  Guest Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:41 am

I tried the capsules. I plan to start them again. note: when I began the capsules I noticed a 'cool' or 'burning' in my chest and upper arms. It didn't alarm me as I intuited something ok was happening. So, I googled it. It said that this sensation was a sign of getting toxins out of the body. Thought you'd like to know this in case you decide to take them. G.

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:01 am

I found the place on the Road Food site:

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/4836/sunrise-biscuit-kitchen

The Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen. Have you been there?

Oh, it was good.

A friend also took us to "Hog Heaven" in Raleigh/Durham. We enjoyed that also.

Going to Duke was one of our best medical trips ever. A great place. We have very fond memories of our trip to North Carolina.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:05 am

Cheryl,

Both Duke and UNC Chapel Hill have really excellent medical facilities. I am a biomedical researcher and feel very lucky to be down here amongst such a thriving intellectual community. The doctors down here are far more caring as a whole than doctors I've run into in other parts of the country, too.

I live 5 minutes from the Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen. It is my favorite biscuit place ever!!!

Jayme
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:18 am

It sure seemed thriving to us. We had a lot of respect for the area. The fine medical facilities and many colleges. Duke Chapel was awe inspiring. And Duke Garden. Amazing.

Now I'm wanting to go back!

Anna was evaluated for a CSF leak at Duke. A marvelous neuroradiologist there.

And I should say, welcome to the forum! Glad you found us!

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried capsaicin for headache/neckache relief? Empty Capsaicin spray

Post  Buster Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:18 am

I am a cluster headache sufferer as well as the person who runs the company that formulated Headache Buster (Dynova Labs). We receive many letters from sufferers every day who have experienced relief from Headache Buster. We will shortly enter into a major clinical trial on Headache Buster to assess efficacy. However, there is quite a bit of data in the public domaine concerning the efficacy of capsaicin used intranasally for cluster and migraines. If you email me your address I am happy to send you a bottle of our spray. It doesn't work for everyone...and you should use it before you are in the throes of your migraine. But knowing how debilitating these can be, perhaps this can help. I will send out a bottle to you. Free. No catch. But if you use it and it works for you perhaps you will repurchase from our website. My email is: Lmillheiser@Dynovalabs.com.

Buster

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried capsaicin for headache/neckache relief? Empty capsaicin

Post  crt Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:28 pm

I have had great success with Tabasco sauce. I prefer the Tabasco over cayenne capsules because I love the taste of Tabasco. But I do seem to have to take 1/4 cup a day to get the preventative effect from it. If I forgot the Tabasco for a few days, the migraines come back.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried capsaicin for headache/neckache relief? Empty really?

Post  Guest Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:12 am

I find this interesting. How do you take 1/4 cup (yikes) a day? Put it on everything? (:

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried capsaicin for headache/neckache relief? Empty Tabasco

Post  crt Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:03 pm

I do put Tabasco on some things but that usually isn't enough to make 1/4 cup. I like the taste well enough that I make up the difference by diluting it with warm water and drinking it down. I know that must sound horrible to some folks but I REALLY like the taste.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down