migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Depression/Topamax

+15
tdu
trutland
1sea1sun
living
nicolelord2
Olee
Daniela
Dawn
estre004
Paradox
HeelerLady
LG
AuntieBubbs
Jangel
LillianLovato27
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Depression/Topamax Empty Depression/Topamax

Post  LillianLovato27 Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:39 pm

I'm on a (well to me) low dose of Topamax, and there is a side effect of depression.
Do any of you take Topamax, and have had that side effect?

I cannot tell if I get.. depressed?. I get weird side effects and I was just wondering if there was someone on the same boat as I am.
LillianLovato27
LillianLovato27

Back to top Go down

Depression/Topamax Empty Re: Depression/Topamax

Post  Jangel Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:51 pm

I just started Topamax 2 weeks ago - 15mg a day (sprinkle capsules)- a very low dose. I can't say I feel depressed overall, but my husband and I are keeping an eye on it. I did have a couple of days when I felt very low, for no reason, but most days on it I've been fine.

Believe it or not, I am noticing some slight improvement in the headaches and migraines.

I have noticed a few side effects so far - A little tingling, some weird joint pain in my hands (not sure what's going on there) and a bit of slowed cognitive function. But, its very slight and not a problem.

I am set to go up to 25mg tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

I was VERY anxious about starting it, esp about the mood/depression issues. My Dr. said to keep a close eye on your moods - especially having someone close to you monitor your moods because we cannot always tell when things changes ever so gradually.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Jane flower
Jangel
Jangel

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:03 pm

I never noticed mood changes that I could tie to topomax, because when I went back on it, my life was very stressful anyway - a lot of stressful changes that in and of themselves were cause for depression, moodiness, etc.
I feel alot moodier, and am more prone to depression I think now than I was before, but I can't honestly attribute that to topomax. My personal situation is such that I'd have to put that as the cause before I'd put topomax as the cause. It's really hard to say.
But I did notice the other effects, tingling, feeling slow and kind of stupid. They faded with time, but I still get them on and off. And I still have "duh" moments that I can only say have to be due to the topo - I'm not naturally dumb. Very Happy I noticed the tingling in my fingertips just yesterday after weeks of not feeling anything.
I'm on 100 mg. a day.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:20 pm

I get minor depression too but I'm not sure if that is because of the topo or because of the pain/migraines/life. I am now taking 200mgs.

To offset the cramps in fingers and tingling, drink water and take a potassium vitamin. Hope this helps!
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  LillianLovato27 Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:22 pm

It's probably the cause. I'm on 25mg. It's been a little under 2 months and I have noticed my mood change within this last month.
LillianLovato27
LillianLovato27

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:39 pm

Lillian, If it is very bad you should contact your doctor immediately for a taper down. If not and you can handle it (make sure your family is aware of your mood changes and they are watching you carefully) may I suggest you stay on it for another month or two and see if it goes away. Ultimately it is a decision you should make. I wish you the best!! How has school been going?
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:52 pm

I agree with LG, Lillian, mainly because with Topomax, the side effects do seem to taper off for alot of people. Not for everyone, of course, but but for alot of people, it seems. And it really helps alot of us. I'd hate to see you give up on it too soon, unless it really causes mood changes that are too extreme to deal with.

I was on topo for a long time, combined with nuerontin, and I went off both because I didn't think they helped me, when in fact, I just needed to get off the nuerontin. I didn't realize until much later that the topo alone helped me, and I suffered needlessly for about 2 years thinking I would not get relief from topomax alone, although the dr. told me to try it alone. I wouldn't, and didn't want to tell him so, so I just took the script and lied. Yes, I did. I lied in order to get him to keep prescribing my abortives. I even filled the script - why not, I had insurance, it didn't cost me very much to fill it. Of course, now I have a nice stock pile of topomax, and now that I have no insurance, that stock pile has come in handy.
But the point I'm making is, I didn't give it a chance beyond about 2 or 3 weeks to work. I took it for a few weeks, didn't see results, didn't like the side effects, and quit. And made the mistake of not talking to the dr. I had a dr. at the time I did not trust very much, and didn't like, and thankfully stopped seeing, but still, it was my fault for not being honest with him, too.
I'm glad I gave the topo another chance, and discussed it with my new nuero. He talked me down to trying it at a lower dose, without the nuerontin, and we talked honestly about my expectations for it. It's a better fit for me than I thought.
And I'm really glad I have that stockpile, though I have it for all the wrong reasons. At least it didn't go to waste.

But I did suffer needlessly for a long time. If I'd just given it an honest chance, I might've had a better few years then and things might be different now for me. Anyway, I still think that the side effects diminish over time, I could also probably up the dosage from 100mg to 150 or 200 if I needed to.

Of course, this is not a med for everyone, some people on here aren't able to tolerate it. That's true of all meds. I hope it works for you, and I hope you're able to give it a good trial run. Smile
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Lillian,

It could be any number of things causing a low spell. I was on topamax for a grand total of 10 days. 7 at 25 mg - which went well and 3 at 50. There's a reason I stopped after 3 days - radical and violent mood swings that I just couldn't handle. If you notice not feeling yourself for more than a few days, I'd talk to some one. We all go through blue phases but usually they don't last long.

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:15 pm

At this point in my life you couldn't give me $10,000 to stop taking topamax! I'm so so broke, can't afford rent, haven't paid my car payment last month, my electric is VERY late but still..if you took my topamax from me I'd crumble on the floor and cry. It is the only thing that has made my rescue medications work (or anything at all for that matter) and my migraines are so much less severe, I hardly ever get them the way I used to and I haven't had a migraine last more than a day since I have upped my dosage past 100mgs.

I know a lot of people on this forum who would say you couldn't pay me $1,000,000 (!!!) to go ON topamax and with all they have been through I really don't blame them! It gets a lot of mixed reviews but those who love it really love it and those who hate it reaaallly hate it..and all for good reason.

I am taking a significantly higher dose than you take, and I keep on going up. Most neuros stop you at 100mgs but I think my limit may be 400mgs. Every month I go to my neuro and we go up a little bit more each time and each time it helps! I never get side effects like I used to. I did get tired for a little while there but then I just switched it up and took 50mgs upon waking and 150mgs at night and now I sleep more soundly as an added benefit. (If I don't sleep though, yes I am pretty stupid LOL)

When I got past the first few months all my side effects went away. I occasionally noticed tingling during temperature changes sometimes but it was really minimal. I took potassium. I still got leg cramps, I drank water. They stopped. Now that I am going up in dosage I notice them a bit more but it was really nothing compared to when I originally titrated up.

Still, if you notice your behavior change in a bad way or have suicidal thoughts contact someone RIGHT AWAY! So many people do have problems and had seen changes when they titrated UP and you are still at a low dose so I want you to be aware of this too. Discuss it with your doctor at your next appointment and make sure all your family is in the loop, okay? I love you
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:23 pm

Hi Lillian,

I had a complete mental breakdown while on 200 mg of Topamax. Depressed, suicidal. I was even misdiagnosed as bi-polar. Topamax was a horror for me.

But, it is a miracle drug for some. Just be VERY cautious if you are noticing mood chnages. Some of us have had very bad reactions to it.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:11 am

I went off of Topamax after I think a month (a month too late as far as I'm concerned). I started at 25 mg. and worked up to 100. I could handle the weight loss (even though I don't need to lose weight), the tingling, and even the stupidness, but when I started feeling depressed, I dumped it down the toilet.

On the positive side, I now have some insight into the brain of a depressed person and can sympathize with them. What a horrible feeling.

As you can see, there are people that did well on Topamax, so I hope you get the positive benefits!!
I didn't have any. I did go a couple of weeks without a migraine (I'm a 3/wk migraineur), but after the second week I got one twice the strength of any I had before and I didn't think they could get any worse. I felt like my head was going to split open at any moment--a very scary situation. Be careful with it.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawn Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:32 am

Yeah, topomax was a complete disaster for me. I had a bad case of depression, to the point of feeling suicidal. My husband was the one who told my doctor about my mood changes. Once I got past a certain point I didn't think or maybe didn't care that anything was wrong. Once you get to that point, it becomes a very dangerous situation.

In hindsight, it probably wasn't a good decision to agree to try topomax considering that I have a history of depression anyways...oops. My neuro swore up and down that it wouldn't put me at an increased risk of depression being on the topomax.

Although he did warn my husband to watch me carefully for any mood changes and such. Good thing he did, or who knows what would have happened. It would have been impossible for me to help myself after I was that far gone ya know? If I were you, I would ask someone you trust who knows you completely to help keep an eye out for any sudden mood changes. I am thankful that I had that extra help. Above all, if you are experiencing sudden mood swings, tell your doctor how you feel right away. Please do not wait around, thinking it will go away on its own.

Good luck to you.

Dawn
Dawn
Dawn

http://www.greenourliving.com

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:40 am

Dawn - I wasn't told of these side effects and am still mad about it. I respond good to meds and never had any side effects from any other drug I took. I felt like I was taking some scary street drug on topamax. Doctors should forewarn their patients about this. I was an entirely different person on this drug. I'm glad I had the sense to quit. I didn't even do it gradual. I just quit.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniela Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi! I am new to this forum. I just wanted to let you know about my experience with Topomax. I was on Topomax for two years. When I went to see a new neurologist he immediately took me off of the drug as it does have a lot of side effects. I was horrified to learn that it was causing me to lose my vocabulary! I was forgetting words and definitions, losing my short term memory skills and had a diminished sense of taste. Apparently these are very common, but rarely talked about symptoms.

I have been on prozac and elavil for a year now and have had far better results in the reduction of migraines. Plus, I haven't had such severe side effects.
Daniela
Daniela

Back to top Go down

Post  Olee Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:08 am

I did experience symptoms of memory loss and just a sense of being in a stupor in the beginning of taking Topamax. I've been taking the medication for a few years and I have to say that the side affects have gone through changes according to dosage and times that I take the meds. I was finally relieved last year when even though the dosage was increased, my doctor and I changed the time of day to take each pill. Spreading the dosage out through the day has lessened the severity of the side affects and now my body has adjusted. Of course Topamax has never been a cure all and has only lessened the frequency of the migraines and maybe the severity at times. I still get them a few times a week, but without the drug it was an everyday occurrence. I am very fortunate I suppose, after reading other's experience on the board with this drug, that I have never exhibited signs of depression, anger etc.
Olee
Olee

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:32 am

Olee - love your picture!

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  nicolelord2 Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:28 am

LillianLovato27 wrote:I'm on a (well to me) low dose of Topamax, and there is a side effect of depression.
Do any of you take Topamax, and have had that side effect?

I cannot tell if I get.. depressed?. I get weird side effects and I was just wondering if there was someone on the same boat as I am.

Ya antidepressants has the side effects. It is vary from perso to person.

nicolelord2

Back to top Go down

Post  living Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:43 pm

First of all, let me say that despite my fears and the struggles through the side effects...I love Topamax.
This is an interesting thread - I didn't know mood changes was a possible side effect of Topamax. I know when I started taking it I turned into a total zombie for at least a week or two (or three ... -->). Same when I upped my dosage from 25mg to 50mg a night. I didn't have the energy to think or to move so that's part of a diagnosis of depression - but I certainly didn't experience sadness or any mood changes. If anything, I was bemused and anxious about the fact that I had to take a drug that was so powerful because I had these annoying damn migraines. I'm glad I didn't get the mood changes because Topamax, now that I've been on it for about 6 months is clearly a lifesaver for me. One thing that helped me manage the side effects was setting an alarm and taking the dose at exactly the same time each evening. I take it at 6pm.

My migraines are fewer and further between, they are less severe, my abortive drugs are more likely to work, and wearing sunglasses (all the time) is enough to stop me getting triggered constantly by light sources. Before topamax, sunglasses were not enough.

Of course anyone who feels suicidal should get off whatever drug is making them feel that way. But for the other side effects, I would say to people - if it's not dangerous, stick with it. I did and it was worth it. They go away. I had

• Cognitive deficit (and for this one, I still have the 'feeling' that I have cotton wool brain, but everyone else assures me I don't come across as though I do - so this might just be a feeling rather than a fact),

• pin and needles in my hands, feet, face - like they were going numb

• heavy body so I could barely find the energy to stand up

• strange tastes

living

Back to top Go down

Depression/Topamax Empty Suicidal

Post  1sea1sun Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:12 am

I have had mild to moderate anxiety and depression for years. Haven't had any luck with meds. I also have Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, and heart disease. Started off with 25 mg Topomax for chronic headaches/migraines. On days 1,2, and 3, I noticed the anxiety and depression worsening but day 4 through 7 it got better. I went up to 50 mg and anxiety and depression went WAY up and wasn't tapering off. I turned suicidal. I had a plan to end it like Thomas Kinkade and Whitney Houston.
My Dr. took me off Topomax immediately and said that 5 years ago she had a male patient with the same side effect. She made an appointment with a psychotherapist. The psychotherapist made an appt with a psychiatrist. Problem was couldn't see her for 2 weeks so the psychologist wanted to admit me to the hospital which I refused. She made me promise to call my sister every day and had my son come over to check on me. Plus she wanted me to do all sorts of other stuff like painting or drawing, walking my dogs, etc. I lied and said I would. I just wanted to lay on the couch and not leave the house, not talk to anyone, no TV, no reading, no music, NOTHING. Thought I could tough out the 2 weeks since I wasn't suicidal anymore and I thought since I wasn't taking Topomax anymore the anxiety and depression would taper off. WRONG! I still had major anxiety and depression so the psychotherapist wanted to admit me to the hospital, which I refused again, so she made me go immediately to my family Dr. who wanted to hospitalize me also. NO! So she put me on a sleeping med and Prozac and Valium until I can see the psychologist. Feeling a little better but not much. Of course I have only been on the new meds for 4 days. I think the Topomax is still in my system because my hands still get tingly and my mind still seems slow. But they tell me those can also be symptoms of Fibro.
I understand that Topomax helps a lot of people, but is sure screwed me up!

1sea1sun

Back to top Go down

Post  trutland Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:17 pm

I've been on Topamax for about a month and am now up to 50mg per day....25mg in the am, 25 mg in the pm. I haven't noticed any depression or mood changes. I have had tingling in my left hand/foot, as well as aversion to carbonated beverages and rich/flavorful foods. I went from drinking 2-3 sodas per day to NONE at all now. Smile

I have not, however, noticed an improvement in my migraines yet.
trutland
trutland

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:44 am

living wrote:First of all, let me say that despite my fears and the struggles through the side effects...I love Topamax.
This is an interesting thread - I didn't know mood changes was a possible side effect of Topamax. I know when I started taking it I turned into a total zombie for at least a week or two (or three ... -->). Same when I upped my dosage from 25mg to 50mg a night. I didn't have the energy to think or to move so that's part of a diagnosis of depression - but I certainly didn't experience sadness or any mood changes. If anything, I was bemused and anxious about the fact that I had to take a drug that was so powerful because I had these annoying damn migraines. I'm glad I didn't get the mood changes because Topamax, now that I've been on it for about 6 months is clearly a lifesaver for me. One thing that helped me manage the side effects was setting an alarm and taking the dose at exactly the same time each evening. I take it at 6pm.

My migraines are fewer and further between, they are less severe, my abortive drugs are more likely to work, and wearing sunglasses (all the time) is enough to stop me getting triggered constantly by light sources. Before topamax, sunglasses were not enough.

Of course anyone who feels suicidal should get off whatever drug is making them feel that way. But for the other side effects, I would say to people - if it's not dangerous, stick with it. I did and it was worth it. They go away. I had

• Cognitive deficit (and for this one, I still have the 'feeling' that I have cotton wool brain, but everyone else assures me I don't come across as though I do - so this might just be a feeling rather than a fact),

• pin and needles in my hands, feet, face - like they were going numb

• heavy body so I could barely find the energy to stand up

• strange tastes

I generally agree with the 'riding things out' theory. Treatments take time to work and you have to give them a chance. My only caution is to watch for side effects that don't taper off a bit, or get worse. Which is what happened to me with Topomax.

My side effects were manageable for a couple of months. I got up to 75 mg, and started having breathing issues which is a rarer side effects. So I went down to 50 mg. The issues did not really subside. So I went right back down to 25 mg to see what would happen. Strangely enough, that far into the treatment and on the lower dose I started having some mental issues. I had very odd, very scary impulsive thoughts. I started getting anxiety and depression. Physically, I just felt like garbage. I was dragging my butt around everywhere, and could not make it through a work out or activity. So not only were the side effects not tapering off, they were increasing even while on a lower dose.

So in my case, I was clearly having a bad reaction to it and got off of it. The problem is, I am still having some issues with some of the side effects now. It's been almost 6 weeks since I quit.

The really crappy part is it was helping with the migraines. Even at 75 mg, there was a definite reduction in the frequency and severity.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:25 am

I'm just tapering off topamax (topiramate) after trying it for the second time (today is my first day totally topamax free). I was on it for seven months at 100 mg therapeutic dosage.

It definitely helped temper my daily chronic migraines and helped with the neck pain and electrical shocks I'd been experiencing. They're back with a vengeance now. My abortives seemed to work more effectively, and I did not need as many doses to maintain a more comfortable state, although I was still never pain free. I was thankful for even a small improvement.

However, I experienced a whole gamut of side-effects: kidney stones, kidney infection, upper respiratory infections, depression, extreme lethargy, worsening GI problems, extreme cognitive difficulties. The depression seemed to worsen the longer I was on it.

Very few preventative meds have helped me. It's just so depressing when the few that do help cause so many side-effects. The two that have helped me most over the last 20 years are nortriptyline and topamax and both have caused quite severe side-effects that were just too severe to ignore, and I tried to persevere through as much as possible with them.

The side-effects that I experienced were just too numerous and too severe that I could not stick them out. I tried, very hard. I wanted relief from the pain that bad.

It's such a hopeless feeling finding a med that gives you some relief and then having to give it up because of the side-effects. Like most of you, I've tried dozens of preventatives over the years trying to find something.

Now, I have seven days with no med and will then start an anti-depressant. Hopefully, it will help get me back to a more stable thinking pattern. I've had problems with most anti-depressants I've tried, as well.

I guess our brains are or become so sensitive to each and every thing. I often wonder if each med we try makes it worse.

Hopefully topamax will be the saving grace for others who do not suffer the side-effects. It seems like for those people it can be a wonder drug.
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:10 am

tecky wrote:I'm just tapering off topamax (topiramate) after trying it for the second time (today is my first day totally topamax free). I was on it for seven months at 100 mg therapeutic dosage.

It definitely helped temper my daily chronic migraines and helped with the neck pain and electrical shocks I'd been experiencing. They're back with a vengeance now. My abortives seemed to work more effectively, and I did not need as many doses to maintain a more comfortable state, although I was still never pain free. I was thankful for even a small improvement.

However, I experienced a whole gamut of side-effects: kidney stones, kidney infection, upper respiratory infections, depression, extreme lethargy, worsening GI problems, extreme cognitive difficulties. The depression seemed to worsen the longer I was on it.

Very few preventative meds have helped me. It's just so depressing when the few that do help cause so many side-effects. The two that have helped me most over the last 20 years are nortriptyline and topamax and both have caused quite severe side-effects that were just too severe to ignore, and I tried to persevere through as much as possible with them.

The side-effects that I experienced were just too numerous and too severe that I could not stick them out. I tried, very hard. I wanted relief from the pain that bad.

It's such a hopeless feeling finding a med that gives you some relief and then having to give it up because of the side-effects. Like most of you, I've tried dozens of preventatives over the years trying to find something.

Now, I have seven days with no med and will then start an anti-depressant. Hopefully, it will help get me back to a more stable thinking pattern. I've had problems with most anti-depressants I've tried, as well.

I guess our brains are or become so sensitive to each and every thing. I often wonder if each med we try makes it worse.

Hopefully topamax will be the saving grace for others who do not suffer the side-effects. It seems like for those people it can be a wonder drug.

Sorry to hear of your experience. The respiratory issues were probably the scariest of the side effects for me. I guess it's not one of the more common side effects. When you start to have breathing issues on a drug that is already causing some anxiety side effects as well, it's a really really scary mix.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah2589 Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:33 am

I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Topamax) - onlinecheappills.com I recieved my pills within one week of ordering them.
P.S. 5% discount coupon code: 4y3g6f4k

Sarah2589

Back to top Go down

Post  Melindy Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:00 am

I was only on this drug for about a month due to severe mood changes and bad side effects- I had neuropathy in the face, arms and hands which was super scary. I was crying and super depressed all the time. I didn't realize it was from the med until I was off of it and felt so much better. Besides the headache Sad

Melindy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next