migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reglan class action suit

Go down

Reglan class action suit Empty Reglan class action suit

Post  Rachel328 Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:00 am

This is probably old news to some of you, but this is new news to me. My mom just told me about it & I'm re-posting information I just found:

There is a class action law suit against the makers of Reglan, aka Metoclopramide, which has been prescribed to treat gastrointestinal disorders (GERD) and nausea. It has been linked to the serious movement disorder tardive dyskinesia. Reglan has been prescribed not only for acid reflux, but also for women who are pregnant and experiencing morning sickness, breastfeeding mothers, infants and children and for nausea assocated with migraines. On January 26, 2009 the FDA issued an alert warning against chronic use of metoclopramide containing drugs and requiring a boxed warning. Reglan side effects tardive dyskinesia and similar drug induced movement disorders are characterized by rarely reversible symptoms that include random movements in the tongue, lips or jaw as well as facial grimacing, movements of arms, legs, fingers and toes along with swaying movements of the trunk or hip.

Metoclopramide is available in several forms including:

• Reglan Tablets
• Reglan Oral Disintegrating Tablets
• Metoclopramide Oral Solution
• Reglan Injection

It is estimated that more than two million people in the United States use products containing metoclopramide. According to the FDA: "Recently published analyses suggest that metoclopramide is the most common cause of drug-induced movement disorders. Another analysis of study data by the FDA showed that about 20 percent of patients in that study who used metoclopramide took it for longer than three months. The FDA has also become aware of continued spontaneous reports of tardive dyskinesia in patients who used metoclopramide, the majority of whom had taken the drug for more than three months."

Rachel328

Back to top Go down