migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How is your weight?

+25
Dawn
Brent
Senna
AuntieBubbs
jeselle
AZgirl
tecky
Rachel328
tdu
Almostangela
estre004
alli
Ivy
LG
MaryAnneLive
lesherb
02R96
Paradox
HeelerLady
LizzieB
theresae
moominamy
Stillhurtin
Brenda
pen
29 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How is your weight? - Page 2 Empty Re: How is your weight?

Post  pen Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:13 am

Linda,
Makes sense. I dont eat a lot, truly i dont, but I am prepared to accept it might be too much or the wrong stuff.
I think you and I discussed this way back and you said I was eating ok.

I cant blame medication. It is down to me....
My pyramid isnt good, I cant eat fruit and veg. Well only a little.

If I am doing something wrong I would like to know, I hate being fat and flabby.
It is all the middle of me, not a bit on my face or arms at all.
H-E-L-P!!! bom

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:21 am

It would be hard if you can't eat fruits and veggies. Some of them have almost zero calories. You can really fill up on them so you don't feel hungry. Without them, it would be harder to lose weight.

The middle is where a lot of "middle-aged" people put their weight on (men and women). It is also the most unhealthy place to put weight on--hard on the heart. Take your height in inches and divide it in half. Your waist measurement should not be more than this to be on the healthy side.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:23 am

I am about 1 inside that Linda....I was told I dont eat enough and my body had gonei nto starvation mode and I am stroring fat...is that crap??

Last edited by pen on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:40 am

Don't know the answer to that one. I like that though--"strong fat". Maybe that is your reserve if you are starving.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:19 am

I think it's not just the medications themselves but the nausea, especially with daily migraine. When you experience strong intestinal problems with migraines (diarhea, rumbling/rolling stomach, heartburn), it limits the foods that you are able to eat. Also, some meds cause water retention.

Exercise is all well and good, but when you experience pain with every movement (head, neck, shoulders and upper back) and the pain escalates afterward, would you honestly feel up to exercising?

Becky Sad
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:33 am

Becky - that is where you have to cut back on the eating. No exercise--less food. Sucks, but if the body isn't burning up the calories as fast as they are coming in--voila, fat.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:08 am

hi yeah you are right linda, when i had gall stones i still ate, but i choose all low fat food, and i mean really low fat, white fish, chicken, rice, boiled potatoes, lots of salad and veg, with a little fat free dressing, it was dull as hell but i managed to loose 30 pounds over a year and only had 2 attacks of gall stone colic, so it can be done, but it was a miserable way to live, i am on amtriptyline and beta blockers and doing the gym 2 twice a week plus pilates and my weight is still going up, the 30 pounds is now back on , so i suppose to add insult to injury i am going to have to return to that diet as well, (god i feel sorry for myself,) but in the back of my mind i have a sneaky suspicion that my M were a bit better when i was lighter and following a fat free diet, not much but a bit,
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:22 am

theresae - If you eat that way for a long time you actually learn to like it and don't miss your old ways. It is all about changing your eating habits for life. Only thing that works. You do feel a lot better and energetic. Doesn't mean you can't eat the crap--just not as the norm. I think, like you, people know this, they just don't like it.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:38 am

estre004 wrote:theresae - If you eat that way for a long time you actually learn to like it and don't miss your old ways. It is all about changing your eating habits for life. Only thing that works. You do feel a lot better and energetic. Doesn't mean you can't eat the crap--just not as the norm. I think, like you, people know this, they just don't like it.

Ya it's amazing how quickly you can adjust. I have quit eating sugar a couple of different times in my life. You have to get over an initial hump, but once you do it's amazing how quickly you adjust and lose cravings.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:52 am

I am finally seeing the scale going down instead of up for the first time in a long time, so I am encouraged. At my heaviest I was either 191 or 193, can't remember, and now I am at 164-166 depending on the time of day. I'm exactly 5 feet tall, and I'm 39. I have been on nortriptyline and topamax since last May. Just increased the topamax to 300mg (I understand 200mg is the normal max, but we decided to give 300mg a try, and I think it helped initially but is now wearing off----again).

I cut out night-time snacking, stopped ordering french fries, stopped getting dressing on salads, stopped getting popcorn at movies, and started eating breakfast. I order grilled chicken instead of fried, and I don't eat bread.

Also, I joined Nutrisystem and started the plan on January 30, so it's only been 19 days that I've been on the program, and I took a few days off to enjoy meals out with my family.

I agree about the reduce calories and increase exercise. If you don't feel well enough to exercise, then monitor your caloric intake accordingly. I was doing the opposite. I know I was compensating for not feeling well by eating "treating" myself to favorite restaurants. Those dishes were loaded with calories and fat. I was eating those twice a week. And not exercising. I cut those from my weekly routine and starting walking in the park, and suddenly I was loosing weight.

However, my head still hurts, so either I haven't lost enough weight yet or there isn't a correlation. I haven't made up my mind yet. I'll keep losing until I figure it out.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:54 am

As I started this, I thought I should at least be honest as others have revealed their actual weight.

From the time I was about 16, through to my wedding, and up until I had my first baby I weighed 9 and half stone....136lb.
I am 5ft 7 inches tall.

When I had my son who was 24" and weighed 9lb 9oz., (He's 6ft 5 now) I shot up to12 stone. 168lb.
Sadly not all was baby weight, I pigged on chocolate a lot.....I felt so sick all 9 months, I didn't care what I ate.

I shed most of it and then had another child where I gained less weight. Anyway after a 5 year gap I had one more baby and hit the chocolate again, but didn't gain as much and eventually went back down to the 9 and half stone.

This stayed for the next 18 years when I gained back up to 170lb for no reason at all. I wasn't exercising any less, and I wasn't eating any more (one for you Linda!!!). No one could explain it except change in metabolism....hormones.

The next year I crashed....CFS....hormones.....
Within 6 months I lost all that and went right down to 8st (112 lb.) Again no explanation from the dr, blood tests inconclusive. Thyroid normal.

Long story short, I eventually put it all back on again and am now a very unhappy 168lb again.
And still not eating more, but definitely not moving about much at all. But still not over eating.
I dont comfort eat, never have, I seem to be the most un adictive person I have ever known...
Quit smoking with no problem (oh didn't put on weight after that, I gave up when my son was born in 1973).
Dont crave anything, and dont drink. My mum was an addictive smoker and my dad an alcoholic.

Anyway, I was finally told when I saw a great dr. my thyroid had been fluctuating, (well we all know the tests are crap right??)
Maybe it still does, he even said it was triggering the migraines....(not the cause).

Regardless I cant lose a pound. I can eat or not eat, it makes no difference. It stays the same within a pound or two.
I eat 3 meals cereal, lunch: salad soup or sandwich, and dinner. I dont eat chips, or sweets in between.
My biggest sin is the odd biscuit or square or two of chocolate once or twice a week.

Sorry I have just realised how long and probably boring this is.....
So, given Iam not on a preventative, but al lthis has occured since my migraines got chronic, is ther some sot of non drug reason? Would I ose it if I could exercise? Am I stuck withit forever??

Thanks for indulging me...

I love you

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:34 am

AZgirl - Great job!! Keep losing even if it doesn't help your migraines. It will help a host of other health
problems that could come up and you will feel better.

Pen - You are a unique case all around. Don't know what to say.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:08 am

Ha!! Thank you, I take that as a compliment..... Very Happy
Really though. Apart from hormones thyroid which the thyroid doc considers caused it "all".
Including the CFS crash.....I haven't a clue.

Anyway Im not that unique, you and I have discussed we have a lot in common migraine wise.
You do0nt want the rest of it though, its a real mystery.
Although if you read about Fibro they say the whole thing can be explained by that...not sure I concur....

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:13 am

Pen - is migraine common among fibro patients?

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:17 am

YES!!! Very, but doctors treat it as co-morbid rather than a symptom.
It drives us all nuts, but the main stream wont listen....
The ones "out there"(enlightened) a bit certainly do.
In the US you have Dr John Lowe, (good web site) he works fibro/thyroid and first told me via my thyroid man (they are mates) about the strong headache connection.
But there is no real treatment for Fibro. Some try Lyrica, but not much success.
P

Last edited by pen on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:25 pm

Gosh Pen, I had the same weight loss issues after my daughter was born. The only way I am now loosing weight is taking topamax and I am just BARELY EATING because eating tastes bad and makes me want to puke. I take suppliments instead to make sure I am getting the right nutrients. I have also changed a bit because I am drinking TONS TONS TONS of water. I think this helps.

I know it is a pain in the butt but I don't think you will see any fluctuation in your weight in folks like you and I if you don't drink about a gallon of water a day.

I tried running on the treadmill for an hour and a half five times a week plus an at home video of muscle toning that was an hour long (total exercise a day was 2 1/2 hours 5 days a week!) AND I ate healthy for two months (I allowed myself 1 cheat day since I was exercising so much) and never lost a pound. The one thing I hadn't done was increase my water intake.

Try it and see what happens. I'm not saying it's your magic cure but it isn't hard to drink more water and it may just work. You never know! Smile Best of luck!
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:40 pm

There is some weird relationship with drinking water and losing weight (provided you are eating right and exercising). I was doing an on-line weight loss program and they encouraged you to drink 80 oz of water per day. Now that was extreme for me but it did get me to drink more and it worked...few plateaus that I couldn't account for. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:48 pm

They say, if you think you are hungry it could be thirst, so drink then wait 20 minutes, if not satiated. Then maybe you are hungry so eat.
Seems the signal from the brain is interpreted much the same by us.
I drink a lot of water for my duff kidneys sake. I dont eat much...
Still fat though....

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:50 pm

I have no idea why, but even when I don't eat right or exercise and I drink a buttload of water I loose weight..and it isn't just initially either. I understand that you loose water weight for the first week regardless. I kept on drinking water and the weight just kept on falling off. Cool. Smile It is the only thing that helps me keep my weight down. If I don't do that I have no hope of loosing.

Pen...

DRINK MORE! LOL

It is an INSANE amount of water you need to drink to loose! I can't believe it. I run to the bathroom every five minutes for the first week or so until my body gets used to the intake. Give it a try! It is good for you anyways Smile Good for the migraines, too.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:56 pm

I havent ever taken it, but isnt the big side effect or one of them with Topomax weight loss...
Could it be this rather than the water? Or maybe a combination.
I have been on huge amounts of water and not lost an ounce.
Sadly doesnt work for me... Also drinking too much is fatal.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Yes drinking too much is fatal but you'd have to drink all day long to do that, like stick a gardening hose to your mouth and keep on swallowing. I'm suggesting a gallon to a gallon and a half.

Topamax does help weight loss but I have had troubles all my life with weight loss and have done this in the past without topamax with great success. It was the only way I had lost weight without starving myself. I have a lot of weight issues. A LOT! I used to be 200lbs. I became homeless and dropped down to about 140 because of starvation. I had a lot of problems getting my system to work with me after that.

I had to work with my system to get out of starvation mode because after finding a job and home, all the food I ingested my body was storing as fat instead of processing it. It was scared I was going to starve it again. Plus, I couldn't eat more than a few bites at a time otherwise I'd puke as my stomach had shrunk so small. I learned how to eat healthy, smaller meals throughout the day and drink a lot of water to filter the food because I gained weight simply because my body was storing all I ate.

I ate normally and drank tons of water and dropped down to a sexy 129lbs. I got pregnant though, and thats where I lost it all. HAHA. I'm working on it all over again though.

I'm telling you, water is the key to weight loss. Without it, you won't get too far. Good luck though.

After 4-5 months of topamax I hit a standstill so I started drinking tons and tons of water again and I'm loosing more weight. I am happy to report I now fit into a size 9 jean. Very Happy
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  jeselle Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:50 pm

since I went off topomax mid-December 2009 I have gained 20+ pounds and 2 pant sizes. I have not changed how/what I eat. If anything I am eating more carefully. I really consider this medication weight gain. B/c I have daily migraines and exercise induced migraine, it's very hard for me to exercise. During the week at work at lunch time I have a migraine so I need to sleep at lunch to get through the day. By the time I get home in the evening I just want to crash. But it's really disconcerting to within 3 mos have a different body. I knew when I was on the topomax and losing all the weight that it "wasn't real". Boy am I regretting going off topomax. I wish it worked for my migraines b/c it worked wonders for my weight. I would like to go to weight watchers but I know I can't exercise. I may just try watching what I eat on my own. I'm already trying that now. I'm really careful about what I eat. I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat alot of snacks or sugar stuff. It's really crazy and depressing.
jeselle
jeselle

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:12 pm

I answered earlier on this topic. I weigh 100 lbs period same as when I was 18. I am 5'2". The only time I fluctuated was when I was 9 mo. pregnant 5 times (weighed 120 lbs each pregnancy) and when on topamax (was spiraling towards 90--had to get off of it quick).

I eat very well. I used to walk my dog twice a day and I noticed after she died I couldn't eat "quite" as much so I factored that in. I eat all day and am never hungry but I eat very healthy foods. I limit sugar and fat to a small percentage of my daily intake.

I do think it would be an impossibility to be over weight for anybody if they followed my eating habits.

P.S. I ruled any food out as contributing to my migraines. Food makes no difference for me.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:41 pm

LG, your story is pretty inspiring. I'm going to think of you when I get discouraged about losing weight, and when I get depressed about my own home situation too. Cuz I could always be homeless, you know? And I'm not, so I should stop moaning. Smile

Estre, I think your metabolism is a big factor in your weight. You're very lucky to be able to eat as you like - even if you do limit sugar and eat healthy - and weigh 100lbs. at 5'2". It's a shame of course that you aren't able to take topomax because of the weight loss factor, though. I wish I had the type of metabolism that would allow me to burn food as you do. I eat very healthy and have limited refined sugar intake as well. I'd gladly trade the topomax for another preventative (provided I could find one that worked, of course) if I could instead get a handle on the weight. The nuero has told me before that losing weight would help my migraines. I don't know if he's full of doo-doo or not on that point, but it's an interesting correlation.

When I lost my job the first time 2 years ago, I gained about 50 pounds from depression. This was over the course of 2 years. I found another job fairly quickly, but I was always in a precarious position because of the industry I was in, and sure enough, I got laid off, so my concern was well placed. I lost my 2nd job last July and continued to gain weight; I did nothing but stay home, didn't exercise, and ate badly. I job hunted, but online of course, so that didn't involve actually moving around. LOL
I lost about 10 pounds when I went back on topomax last fall, and that got me motivated to look at myself and realize what I was doing to my poor body. I have since lost another 15 on my own steam. It feels pretty good. I have a long way to go though (I was overweight when I gained the 50 lbs.), but I finally feel as if I can get there if I try. I'm eating very healthy now, trying harder not to snack, and if I do I snack healthier (its hard because I'm home all day and get bored, but I try to eat things like grapes, oranges, and peanuts), and I exercise as often as I can, even though it's mostly just walking. And if I drink alot of water Razz

I had to chuckle at "sticking a garden hose in your mouth and keep on swallowing" - yeah, I've never heard of anyone dying from drinking too much water. Apart from drowning, and that would defeat the purpose. Otherwise, it's just the ultimate excuse, isn't it? "Oh, I don't want to drink too much water, I heard it's bad for you." It reminds me of all the excuses people make - myself included - to put off exercising and/or eating healthy. To basically avoid changing their habits because it's easier. I don't exclude myself from that group, right now I'm sitting inside on a beautiful spring day instead of going outside for a walk.
So I think I'll practice what I preach, since my head feels fine today Smile, and take the dog for a walk. Very Happy And drink alot of water while I'm at it, because LG is absolutely right.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:00 pm

AuntieBubbs wrote:I had to chuckle at "sticking a garden hose in your mouth and keep on swallowing" - yeah, I've never heard of anyone dying from drinking too much water.

You actually can die from drinking too much. I can't remember what the condition was called but it happened here in the US. A radio station was doing a contest - whoever drank the most water (I think it was in a certain period) won a big prize. Well the winner ended up dying due to consuming too much water. Found a related article....Water Death
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next