migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone tried the TMS ideas, ie Sarno

+2
LG
pen
6 posters

Go down

Has anyone tried the TMS ideas, ie Sarno Empty Has anyone tried the TMS ideas, ie Sarno

Post  pen Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:24 pm

I have been told about this theory so many times.
I was loaned one of his books, but I cant concentrate enough to understand what you are supposed to do.
Anyone else ....

pen

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried the TMS ideas, ie Sarno Empty Re: Has anyone tried the TMS ideas, ie Sarno

Post  pen Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:11 am

Does the lack of response mean no one has tried, or they think its crap please??

pen

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried the TMS ideas, ie Sarno Empty Re: Has anyone tried the TMS ideas, ie Sarno

Post  LG Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:39 am

No idea what the theory is pen. Maybe you can explain it more for me.

reread and it sounded blunt sorry I dont mean to sound that way, my head is killing me this morning Crying or Very sad
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:57 am

sorry pen no idea what it is.
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 am

Doesnt sound blunt to me, so sorry your head is so bad, I am fading fast too.

It is a somewhat unfathomable process for removing pain that has no "physical" cause.]
Migraine comes under this until we know different.

My neighbour had frequent migraines and has managed to go back to work by using this process.
I cant get my aching head around it.

When yo feel better, check this out....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Sarno
I must be a bit thick, she loaned me his book and i still dont get it....

Dont be put off by the back thing, it applies to other pains as well...

Thanks.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:59 am

Go to Amazon,com and read the reviews on his book. I always read the negatives one's first. Here is one reviewer's take on Sarno's take on pain:

"Dr. Sarno suggests that most chronic pain is of a psychogenic nature (caused by unconcious, repressed emotions). Being psychogenic also means being psychosomatic, so he is literally saying that for most cases it's all in your head. His claims are based mostly on speculation and are unscientific. It is true that emotions do contribute to chronic pain, but Dr. Sarno is suggesting that the emotions are the _primary cause_ of the chronic pain and not just a contributing factor. Because emotions due contribute to the pain, his emotional treatment does appear to help (to some extent) for a small number of people. Since you can check this out of your local library for free, it's at least worth a try even if the chances of it working are slim. In other words, give it a try, but don't hold your breath."
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:28 pm

hmm...I'll check it out when I can actually concentrate. I appreciate the review though, that says a bit. It is worth a look though and at least research.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:15 pm

I have a copy of "The Mind Body Prescription" Had it since 2006/
But my concentration is so bad I just dont get it....(or maybe I am just thick??)
Its only $10 on Amazon if anybody wants to read it for me... lol!

It isnt aimed at migraine, but other than my neighbor I know of 3 other people who have reduced their pain immensely with this.

Worth a try.....

Night.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:24 pm

Looks like Silva copycat. And no I don't believe this crap.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:14 am

It is in the Silva vein Risa. But has become more main stream. A few respected doctors on board.
I am not surprised you think its crap. Its a natural assumption.
I can only say that even thought I cant get my head around it, I have seen the difference it has made to my neighbour Kate.

Could it be because she is a religious person, takes better to putting faith in things....not joking and disrespect intended.
We are same age, live same place and her migraines became bad enough she had to quit her job.

If I could understand it, I would try it. I'll try anything.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:19 pm

I have actually heard of people having good luck with back pain using this method. Opinions of Howard Stern aside, he has claimed the method cured him of debilitating chronic back pain for years. The first time I ever heard mention of it was on his show and that was over 10 years ago.

Personally, I agree with that review someone posted earlier in the thread. I do believe that emotions definitely contribute to a lot of pain issues, but I don't believe they are the only factor, which as far as I know is what this theory suggests.

I keep meaning to take a closer look at the book though.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down