migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Here - introducing myself

+14
theresae
Ivy
AZgirl
sherri b
LizzieB
rileyoday
Chinookgrl
HeelerLady
Paradox
30yrsofheadache
Almostangela
Kate
pen
lynette823
18 posters

Go down

New Here - introducing myself Empty New Here - introducing myself

Post  lynette823 Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:56 am

I am new here . . .but NOT new to migraines. I have been suffering them for many years since I was in college. I am 37. I no longer have auras but sometimes during a migraine I see spots - but rarely before. My migraines are classic - severe pain behind my eye and over one side of my frontal lobe and sometimes in my ear, usually changes sides from each migraine episode. I also have sensitivity to light and sound, nausea -sometimes vomitting, need a dark place with an ice pack, butalbital and maxalt and a few hours of rest . . .but I also have 3 young duaghters (8, 6, and 4) one with a chronic medical condition which needs my constant care, and I work part time. So getting time to rest is almost unheard of. I have a headache (not always a migraine) almost daily and if I walk by someone who has perfume or has been smoking, or eat a trigger food, or do not eat soon enough in the morning . . .I will likely move into a migraine. I am sure many of you can say similar things.

it is so hard to find people who understand how debilitating these darn things are and I hate how much I rely on medication just to function on a daily basis. Like many of the posts I have read here - I ahve been to neuros, ENTS, family docs, chiropractors, accupuncture . . .all help for a while - but none "cure" them.

I am so glad to have found a board/place where there are others who understand the pain . . . currently I am taking Maxalt for episodes, butalbital w/ codeine or midrin for rescue, topomax, lexapro and inderal daily for preventative. But I get worried about how much medication I am putting into my body . . . recently my neuro recommmended DHE in the hospital - but I have not read anywhere where patients have much positive results? If you have done the hospitalization with DHE - did it help? For how long? I've had this migraine that I am in currently for a few months with a day or so break here and there - but I really need to break the cycle. I sometimes feel like i am going insane!!

lynette823

Back to top Go down

New Here - introducing myself Empty Re: New Here - introducing myself

Post  pen Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:01 am

Hi Lynette,
Excuse me being brief, I am on unsuccessful triptan today.
Just wanted to say you have come to the right place, and welcome.

This is a very good forum with knowledgeable and sharing caring people.
Every one of us would love not to feel the need to come here Im sure, but it is a lifeline.

I am guessing by your drugs you are in the USA.
I am in the UK. /things vary I have noticed.
But what doesnt vary is the empathy and support you will find.

Welcome to Rhodas.
pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:02 am

Welcome.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  lynette823 Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:19 am

Thanks for the welcomes - yes I am in the US - WV to be exact. We are under a bunch of snow right now . . .

lynette823

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:44 am

Welcome Lynette. I hope you find comfort here.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:59 am

Hi, Lynette.
Glad you found your way here, you will find a lot of support and good info here. I am in Northern VA so we are ineighbors. I have not used DHE, but have tried almost everything else. When I get a prolonged migraine, I go to the ER for narcotic and anti-emetic (Dilaudid and Phenergan lately). I have 2 daughters 20 and 17, so I understand how hard it is. I hope you will come here often, it has kept me sane for many years.
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:00 am

I'm glad you found us Lynette. It's a great group of people here.

I think a couple on this site, like Rachel have gone the hospitalization route.

Welcome, welcome. I'm so sorry so that you had to be in the circumstance that you are.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:16 am

Welcome.

Yup lot of support and good information found here. The best part is someone who gets it and truly understands what you deal with. I've never done the hospitalization route. Seems rather odd in my head...the last time I went to the ER I thought it was food poisoning as I had been suffering all night and needed the vomiting to stop - turns out it was my appendix. I've had pretty bad M, but not to the point where I felt it necessary to go to the ER. Perhaps I should have. Razz

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

New Here - introducing myself Empty Introduction

Post  Chinookgrl Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi Lynette,

Your story sounds very similar to mine. We are the same age with similar home lives, I have two young ones 6 and 4. My migraines sound similar. I am on Topamax using Zomig as a rescue with codeine and Ketoralac. Welcome to the forum. There is always advice here. I myself don't post much but I am often reading and sometimes offer up what knowledge I have if I think I can help. Hope to keep hearing from you.

Jo
Chinookgrl
Chinookgrl

Back to top Go down

New Here - introducing myself Empty Introduction

Post  rileyoday Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Hello , Im sure someone will ansewer your DHE hospital question soon. I recognize your symptoms
and triggers as mine also. I do not think I have seen anyone using that many preventives at the same time.
I have used all those preventives seperatly. I have had M six years 4-5 x week with daily headache.
I use zomig as rescue and have recently found 3 months relief with clonidine. I hope you have better days soon.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  LizzieB Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi Lynette

I'm so sorry you're suffering, especially with young children but glad you've found somewhere to come for help and support.

Liz
LizzieB
LizzieB

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Sorry to hear of your suffering, especially with two small children. I am 54 and my daughter is all grown up. So it's just my husband and I, he is very understanding. Thank God for that.

I'm wondering about all the preventatives you are taking also. Seems like alot.

Also, I just posted about prednisone to stop the cycle of migraines, it's helping me so far, just the z pack.

I understand the hurting. It's weird sometimes I don't have a migraine, but my head hurts all the time. Although I'm not very pleased with that, not at all! But,,,, at least I know I'm not a freak or somthing, others feel the same way. That's what's good about this forum...

Hope you get better soon so you can enjoy your children.
Blessings,
Sherri B!
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Welcome.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:48 am

Welcom to our corner Lynette.
You have all the right cards to join the club...The way you describe migraines is very, very familiar to most of us No
Stay with us, this group can be very supportive and understanding!
Bye
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:19 pm

welcome, to the forum, there are some fab people on here so stick with us,
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Welcome! YOu have found an amazing support system here. Welcome! I am 34 and a working mother of 2 lil boys (3 and 5 1/2) so I know what ya mean about no time for the pain!!!

I can't write much.... Bad head tonight Sad but wanted to be sure to send my warmest welcome Smile
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryAnneLive Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:48 pm

Welcome! I am sorry for your suffering. I am a mom of a toddler. I get it. My head is killing me right now so I might not make much sense Smile No luck with DHE, but I have learned from this board that not everything works for everybody. Everything is worth trying. I hope it works.

Mary Anne
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:55 pm

Just wanted to welcome you to Ronda's.

The people here are absolutely the best and are full of knowledge and support when you need it.

A couple of years ago, I had a doctor in the ER try DHE thru IV.

It sent my bp (that was already high), thru the roof.

It made me vomit profusely also. I guess that was due to the spike in bp.

Anyway, my MD told me to never let them give it to me again.

Triptans also do this to me, just not as dramatically.

It really is trial and error finding something that will work for your particular situation.

Anyway, WELCOME, and I hope you find a solution soon.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:35 am

Welcome Lynette!

I had IV DHE in hospital about 4-5 years ago (really can't remember, my brain isn't working today). It didn't get rid of my pain but did reduce it a tiny bit, but when I left hospital it got worse again. Side effects for me were feeling like I was floating outside my body, which I get with some triptans and midrid also (like midrin but without the muscle relaxant, UK version).

I did meet a few people in hospital who it had benefitted, it seems worth a try to me, especially after you've researched it a bit. If you go to the link at the top left of the page that says 'old forum' and search DHE you should get a lot of information from previous posts.

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum