migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head over Tea Kettle

+8
Ivy
LG
crt
theresae
Paradox
CluelessKitty
tecky
lesherb
12 posters

Go down

Head over Tea Kettle Empty Head over Tea Kettle

Post  lesherb Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:05 pm

As some of you know, my mother is here visiting (she lives in VA with my sister and I live in FL). She is almost 85 years old.

A few days ago, she went for a walk. I was teetering in and out of migraine hell so I wasn't going. I asked her which way she planned to walk (I told her just in case she didn't come back, LOL).

After a while, I peeked out of the front window to see if I saw her. All I saw was 2 cars and the occupants talking to one another. Nothing unusual in that, right? So I closed the door and went back into the living room to wait another few minutes.

Just as I got into the living room, my doorbell starts ringing, ringing, ringing. I answered the door and it was a woman I have never met and she said my mother has fallen. I look toward the direction of where she was to be walking and there are now about 4 or 5 cars parked on the side of the road.

I ran out of my house and found her sitting in the driveway of a neighbor with a towel up to her brow. Someone had already called 911 and shortly after I arrived, the ambulance got there.

She was taken to the hospital and I followed shortly thereafter in my vehicle. Five stitches and a CT scan later and her diagnosis was a blown out orbital bone. She had fractured the bone in which the eye ball sits.

Happily, she didn't lose consciousness and her head really didn't hurt her very much. We were in the ER from 3:30 until 8:30. We got a copy of the CT scan on a CD for her to take back home (which was supposed to be today).

The reason she didn't fly home today is because of the snow storm in VA. My sister changed her flight to tomorrow at the same time plus she had a credit from another flight so she booked one for Tuesday (Monday was full) just in case tomorrow is not going to work out.

My mother has enough of her medications to last until Tuesday morning. I'm sure my sister could Fed-Ex more if worse comes to worst. It's been a month that she's been here. We are expecting my husband's daughter, her husband and her 300 lb son to be here in a week and a half.

I know I shouldn't be complaining but if I don't, I am going to blow a gasket. I have had enough. I love my mother but no matter who it is, a month is too much. Hubby's family is a quite another problem which I won't go into. Suffice it to say, I am eager to return to my lonely existence. Please remind of that the next time I complain about being lonely.

My best to all of you,
£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Head over Tea Kettle Empty Re: Head over Tea Kettle

Post  tecky Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi Leslie,

It's nice to see you on here.

I hope your mom heals quickly. I'm sure her falling and the trip to the ER was stressfull. Hope you aren't fighting a migraine because of it.

I very much understand your wish to return to your lonely existence. It's nice to have visitors, but it's also nice to see them go home.

Becky flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:48 pm

arrrghhhh!! Leslie I am so sorry. I sympathize with you.
Looks like we are in the same boat. Well almost. I have a 19 yo daughter which her set of health problems
while I am currently battling mine. We both need to be taken care of at the moment but guess on whom the responsibility falls on??
I am so tired tired tired I want to cry...

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:21 pm

Yes, a month is much to long. When my mother would come for an extended visit, she would stay a week with me, a week with my sister, and then check in to a hotel. I think she got as tired of the togetherness as we did!

My Great-Aunt had gone out to visit my mother once and fell down and broke her hip. Mom was DEFINITELY relieved when she could travel again.

Sending you warm wishes and am glad your Mom's injury wasn't more serious.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:40 am

sorry to hear of your mother and all the stress involved,

my poor mum has a similar situation going on, and i try to help when i can,

i have heard of a saying not sure if it is used over in your neck of the woods, and it calls people who have elderly parents, and older kids the "sandwich generation" stuck in the middle between frail demanding lonely parents and older children who are at uni, or getting married or having children of their own and you are sandwiched in the middle trying to do it all, my poor mum is there, looking after her widowed mother, trying to hold down a job, and spend time with 6 granchildren under 12 years old, and find time for her own marriage, of course we all muck in and help when we can, but it is a emotionally draining place to be.
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Head over Tea Kettle Empty Moms

Post  crt Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:09 pm

Leslie,

I loved my Mom very much but once I was an adult I could not live with her. She just drove me wild and I suppose the reverse was true. As I've said before, parents know how to push all of our buttons. And why wouldn't they? After all they installed them.

Hoping your Mom heals quickly and has no more incidents.

Hugs,
Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Head over Tea Kettle Empty Thank You All

Post  lesherb Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Here's another whine: The flight today is definitely out as Dulles is closed due to the storm. The flight on Tuesday is in jeopardy as the weather service has predicted another snowstorm for VA from Tuesday through Wednesday night.

I think my mother will be here until Saturday which would be good as then my husband wouldn't have to take a day off of work to drive to the airport. (did I mention that she leaves from Orlando? With the security situation at airports nowadays, Orlando is a zoo!).

Our next round of company is expected on Tuesday, sometime. They're not familiar with the drive and since they're leaving NY on Sunday morning, they could be here Monday night (a week from now). Thank goodness this is hubby's daughter and family. He can entertain them.

I feel so guilty feeling this way but I promise this is the only place I am venting. My mother has no idea how I feel. The best actress award will be going to me at the Academy Awards next year. Smile

I hope all are doing well. I am off to do my daughter duties.

£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Heya my former LIer, if there's anything I can do from my end Wink Wink ... LOL since i'm here in NY and all..

I'm pretty good at letting all the air out of tires you know. It's a complete pain in the butt because unless you have an air compressor your stuck taking all the tires off the car to bring em to the gas station to fill em up LOL. Gotta love inconvienence.

Or...like Chris said in another post, Migraine, Inc. home of the $4.00 hit.

BTW. J/K.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:43 pm

Sadly, they're coming from western NY, not LI.....otherwise, I'd take you up on it! lol!
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:55 am

Leslie,
you have ALL my sympathy. I am very jealous of my privacy and my daily life.
I don't envy you No

Glad to hear that your mom is doing well. She's a real rock after all the troubles taht she has had to bear in the last years!

Take care
Hugs
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:32 am

I'm sorry you're always having someone "under foot" Leslie. Even when it's family, it's very tiring. Especially for people like us with chronic medical conditions. I always feel like I have to be "on" when we have guests. I'm forced to try to act like I'm not miserable when a migraine hits. It makes me very weary. I love having people come, but I love it when they go home too. LOL
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks again. I knew you guys would understand.

The latest is my Mom will be leaving on Saturday. If it snows on Saturday in VA, I am driving her home!

My husband's family will be here 2 days later.

I think I am going to check into a hotel.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:57 am

Friday is the day Mom returns home. I haven't checked the weather report and I don't think I will. The migraine monster is making fun of my predicament by jabbing me with ice picks and scraping the inside of my skull with a steel spoon. If only I could grab his skinny little neck and put him out of my misery!

Gosh....I needed that. Thanks for tolerating my vent.

Hope you are all doing well,
£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:05 am

Leslie,

Hope things go according to plan. Smile Does sound like you need a break.

Migraine monster - I like it. If I could catch him and Murphy (ie Murphy's law) I'd lock em in a room together and let them duke it out then electrocute the winner . Both of them have been making me miserable lately. Hope things get better for you.

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Mianna Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:14 pm

Oh my Leslie. I have been so under the weather and without a computer for a week or more that this thread about your mom's fall was a shock. I am so sorry, for her....for you too my dear one! I hope she is back home now under your sister's watch and you are back to normalcy, YOUR normalcy.

Chris....your comment about our parents knowing how to push our buttons as adults, after all they installed them....OH MY....that was like a Bible Verse for me right now! You have no idea! I had never thought of it that way. I am living with my mom and gram again as an almost 40yr old married mom with a son.....and it is not a walk in the park! Your thought is certainly food for thought!
Thanks!

I am not forgetting you Leslie........just trying to keep my head above water at times.
Mianna
Mianna

Back to top Go down

Post  hpilgrim Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi Leslie-
I haven't been on for a while, so ... I hope mum is doing okay and on her way home. I guess the other family is there by now...?

I feel sorry for your mum.. I feel like the mother in the picture now, with both my boys grown, one married, one with a girlfriend... I do hope they never resent me.

I can't imagine her injury not being horribly painful - I do hope she's better.

I miss you Leslie... I don't seem to get on this board very often. Don't know why...
hang in there, dear,
loveya,
Holly
hpilgrim
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down