migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another northern CA earthquake

+5
tecky
CluelessKitty
Richard
AuntieBubbs
crt
9 posters

Go down

Another northern CA earthquake Empty Another northern CA earthquake

Post  crt Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:20 pm

We had another shaker here on the coast. It wasn't as big as the one last month, but I was at work this time. One of the buildings I work in is a tall Victorian. They handle earthquakes very well and have been through many in their long lives. One of the reasons they have survived is that they are flexible. They sway a lot. The shaking is more apparent than it is in other buildings. I can't help wondering if we're working up to the "big one". That is above 7.5. Well, worrying about it is not going to change what happens and worrying only makes me miserable.

Cheers!
Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Another northern CA earthquake Empty Re: Another northern CA earthquake

Post  AuntieBubbs Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:52 pm

Hang in there, Chris. I am in southern CA and remember the Northridge quake. I was in college at the time and remember waking up to the house shaking and everything falling off the shelves, power out, classes cancelled for days, etc. Then the lists of casualties came in. It was a scary time.
Seriously hoping that Cali is NOT working up to a big quake. Our poor state has been through enough these past few years!
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:38 pm

All of us who live here know that The Big One is coming and coming rather soon. We just choose not to think about it. One of the selling points for Ravenhurst was that it was on top of a mountain and set on solid rock ... much more earthquake proof than other locations. BUT you just watch, it will be Table Mountain that quakes! LOL In Alaska we also had to learn to live with the shaking and the waiting - the price of living in a Great State!
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 pm

We West Coast BC in Canada are supposed to be wiped out in the BiG One , too. Sad
Oh well. No use worry about it, and once we will be then we won't worry about it anymore, will we.

Still I hope you guys are safe and sound and there will be no more shocks or aftershocks any soon. or any time.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:33 pm

Having always lived in the midwest, earthquakes terrify me. I'll take a blizzard any day.

You all are very brave. I keep you in my prayers.

Becky Surprised
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm wondering about those people who like to live where tornados hit. How crazy?! That is instant destruction. Hurricanes are bad too, thankfully by the time they reach us they aren't so bad but they do hit us now and again.

I do second that I would much rather take a blizzard any day! I too hope you guys stay safe and I hope everyone is wrong about the big one coming! It scares me to know that all of you are living over there, if I hear it on the news I'll be so nervous! Neutral
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:51 pm

You're right, Richard. I'm a bit of an ostrich about earthquakes. I'd rather put my head in the sand and hope the big one is coming later rather than sooner, cuz I know it's a matter of "when" and not "if."
When I was a kid, I used to be terrified by the thought of the big one. That was when everyone was certain it would hit, CA would break off, and drop into the ocean. I even had a contingency plan for when the tsunami would hit, I kid you not. As a 10-year-old, I knew how to get onto the roof of the elementary school, and I figured I'd be safe if I could do that. I was so afraid of quakes and tidal waves. We are right on the coast.

My heart goes out to the people in Haiti. "There but for the grace of God...", you know? They had no warning, either. And they are living through one of my biggest fears. Let's hope CA can ride out the tremors!
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:02 pm

One of the reasons "The Big One" does not scare me is my location. A really, really Big One just may bring the ocean back to the central valley of the state. Suddenly my mountaintop is ocean front property with quadruple the value! Pretty immoral thinking ... but oh well. these times are certainly interesting.
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:29 am

Wow, that must be scary...
I live in place where the risk of eartquakes is close to zero. We've experienced earthquakes in the sense that we have shaked a bit because 200 miles away a strong earthquake was occurring and that was enough to make feel in danger Shocked

I agree on a point anyway: you just have to go on and live your life. It's too stressing - and useless - to panic in advance.

Bye
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:49 am

I'm on bedrock so when the big one hits I should be ok. We are very close to the San Andreas fault, the one that's going to crack and send half of CA into the ocean. Smile I'm not too worried. I have my earthquake kit and I am as prepared as I can be. The little ones are kinds fun, but the big ones do make me a bit nervous.

Watch how you animals behave. If they suddenly run for cover, get under the table or in a hallway doorway.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:55 am

Alli, You have to also watch out for the Hayward Fault (which, if I remember correctly, runs right through UC Berkeley). I remember the Livermore quake, and Loma Prieta (sp).

Also, although its generaly considered extinct (but you just never know), Mount Diablo has the potential (slim though it may be) to unexpectedly erupt.

From what I know about geology, I do not believe that California is going to drop off into the ocean. The San Andreas is not the type of fault where the land rises up, or sinks down; instead, the land that lies to the west of the fault is moving north at the speedy rate of about 4 inches a year. Of course this movement is neither constant, nor consistant. It moves in fits and starts, hence earthquakes large or small.

A former Californian
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down