migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legumes a migraine trigger?

+2
Mule Kick
Reama
6 posters

Go down

Legumes a migraine trigger? Empty Legumes a migraine trigger?

Post  Reama Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:44 am

Hi;

I've had migraines (the kind that last 3 days) frequently thoughout my adult life, and have struggled with trying to identify food triggers. I'm really suspicious of beans, lentils, and know that peanuts are a trigger. Wondering if legumes are a very common trigger for any of you? I'd like to eat them as they are high in fiber, good for you, etc., but am getting increasingly afraid of them (not that my migraines go away completely with I avoid them, but do seem to be less frequent and milder when I do.

Does anyone else avoid legumes?

Thanks,
Reama

Reama

Back to top Go down

Legumes a migraine trigger? Empty Re: Legumes a migraine trigger?

Post  Mule Kick Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:02 pm

Surprised  I just ate a whole can of Amy's Lentil Vegetable soup for supper. Wink 

I will let you know if it triggers a migraine, but I doubt that it will.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:28 pm

There seems to be a wide range of triggers across people. We are all different. If you suspect it is a trigger for you it probably is.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:37 pm

Today I do have a little HA about a level 2 or 2½.

It is more likely to be from dehydration and/or bright sunshine, than from last nights lentils.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  Reama Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Hmmm, thanks for the feedback, Mulekick, and also for the thoughts/other replies. Had a little (home-made) hummus today with a very mild headache shortly after, but it could have also been from the salt, from the gluten-containing bread I had it on, from the lemon juice, raw garlic, and so on. I guess my problem is that with most meals a mix of ingredients, it's really hard for me to sort out what's the culprit.

Bought a can of plain dark brown lentils today (only other ingredient salt, but not too much of that) which will try in reasonable quantites over the next few days.

Regarding the beans/legumes, they are so high in fiber that I have to remind myself that probably need to drink more water as the fiber tends to soak it up, maybe leading to mild dehydration.

Reama

Reama

Back to top Go down

Post  Jen E Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:45 pm

Tannins trigger my migraines and most legumes are high in tannins.  I am just learning about it myself, so I haven't found too many resources, but you can google it.  I am a new member and it seems we can't post links for a week waiting period.

Jen E

Back to top Go down

Post  Reama Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:45 pm

thanks, Jen, for your reply.

Yes, I've wondered about tannins myself. Have you seen the widomaker website? It has a good list of tannins as relate to migraine. Many, many, of the foods listed do trigger migraine in me. As I'm strongly commited to being vegan, I keep hoping I can make beans work. The white beans that she says are OK are sometimes, and sometimes not (plus, of all the beans, I like the white ones least!).

Also, if you haven't, see what wikapedia has to say about tannins.

Had black beans today for the first time in over a year, and although only had about half a cup, it was a mistake. Also, hummus, which I really like, seems to be problematic in anything more than tiny amounts.

Reama

Reama

Back to top Go down

Post  Jen E Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:51 pm

I had a food mistake too, today. It appears coconut oil is a big no-no for me. My only theory at the moment is my food sensitivities have drastically changed over the past year or so. As it stands today, I am afraid to eat anything. I have only been headache free for a few days since the beginning of September.

I have been reading the sites you mentioned, thank you.

Have you tried Quinoa? It's a complete protein and not tannin-laden. That could take the place of beans for you. Good luck.

Jen E

Back to top Go down

Post  mattie Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:06 am

I found that coconut, flax, & canola oil are triggers for me. I can eat cannellini & northern beans but the others cause HA.

It seems everything that is supposed to be good for me causes a headache. White flour (which is a no no) doesn't bother me, but WW flour causes M. I think mold in food is a big trigger for me.

Have you read the "Blood Type Diet" book?

mattie

Back to top Go down

Post  ZomigMan Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:19 pm

Jen E wrote:Tannins trigger my migraines and most legumes are high in tannins.  I am just learning about it myself, so I haven't found too many resources, but you can google it.

Tannins are definitely a trigger for me, and many beans are high in tannins. Like red kidney and black beans. I make chili with northern white beans now (next to no tannins in them). I have been on a low tannin diet for a some months now and my migraines have definitely gone down. For the last month I have been drinking a lot of milk for the casein proteins to bind with tannins, and it has lowered my migraines to a minimum number. I have verified that home smoked food has too much tannin and triggers my migraines as well, so no more smoked food for me. Tannins are very commonly added to foods in all forms, and so it is hard to avoid them (like many other migraine triggers).

The best online tannin migraine trigger site: http://www.widomaker.com/~jnavia/tannins/index.html

Olive oil is a problem for me. There are many online sites that claim that olive oil has no tannins, but it has gallic acid, which is a tannin. Also regular flour and most white bread has malted barley in it, and that is rather high in tannin. I use 100% wheat flour now (Red Mill brand which is milled near me in Oregon). Like the vaso-active amines tyramine and phenethylamine, tannins have a volume threshold to trigger a migraine for me. So small amounts do not bother me, but if I eat more than a certain amount, I will surely get a migraine, and the more I eat, the bigger the migraine.
ZomigMan
ZomigMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down