migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone have anxiety with migraines?

+3
charmed quark
Mini
sailingmuffin
7 posters

Go down

Does anyone have anxiety with migraines? Empty Does anyone have anxiety with migraines?

Post  sailingmuffin Wed May 08, 2013 10:17 am

Hi All,

Does anyone else experience anxiety as part of the migraine?

Last night, I suddenly got this horrible feeling of impending doom- it came out of nowhere. Then I had a lot of anxiety. This is sort of unusual for me. I was able to calm down pretty quickly-also took some klonopin which helped. I have had periods of anxiety when my pain level gets really high, but nothing as intense as last night's experience.

Today, the headache is really bad- about a 9/10. I have also fainted a bunch today and just feel blah. I just want the pain level to go down. It may be time for a short course of steroids or an IV of Depakan to break the cycle.

This is just so frustrating and I really don't know what to do except to take the meds, rest, and try to distract myself.

I'd love any ideas or advice.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have anxiety with migraines? Empty Re: Does anyone have anxiety with migraines?

Post  Mini Wed May 08, 2013 3:22 pm

Yes, I know this feeling. Only yesterday I began to feel tense and unhappy, restless and anxious for no apparent reason, and surely enough this morning I have woken up with migraine. Fortunately mine is not as bad, and after Imitrex it has been under control.

As to any other ideas? I am not sure if this would be of any help to you, but when I have more frequent bouts of M, I have occipital nerve injection and usually I get some periods of relief after that. Although it depends greatly how good the dr who gives injection is.

I also took some oral steroids (prendisolone) in the past and it worked very well indeed, but I always feared the possibility of side effects, so I prefer not to use it any more. Still, it is good for breaking the persistent cycle of bad pain. I hope you find some relief soon.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have anxiety with migraines? Empty Re: Does anyone have anxiety with migraines?

Post  charmed quark Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:38 am

When my migraines are coming on, I often just feel really sick, like I'm coming down with the flu or something. I start feeling sicker and sicker and then start thinking I might be about to pass our or die or something. I often start pacing around , which helps with this sick nervous energy I get at first. After about 15 minutes this all goes away and I become nauseous and dizzy and headache and fuzzy vision, etc.

So I think the first part has a strong anxiety component. When I was first getting diagnosed my doctor thought I might be having panic attacks. Sp he gave me a short acting benzo for it. It reduced the anxiety component, but I still felt like I was coming down with the flu, etc., I just didn't worry about it! Also reduced the nausea a bit, which was nice.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  Platypus Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:23 pm

I have an anxiety disorder but it's only loosely associated w/ my migraines.
Platypus
Platypus

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:50 pm

I can't say I've noticed any anxiety with my migraines. I also don't get an aura in general. Sometimes I will be cranky but I think that's just because I know a migraine is coming and I'm mad about it.
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  lmmcgrath13 Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:58 am

Yes! This happens to me a lot. It's a vicious cycle - I get anxious, my migraine gets worse, which makes me more anxious (I think deep down I'm afraid it might never stop/go away), which makes the migraine worse, etc. etc. 

What I've found helpful is meditation - you can find a lot of different music/sound/relaxation resources on youtube too - usually called "binaural beats" or something similar, which help drown out the anxious thoughts and gives you something else to focus on. At first, I thought it was really crazy-sounding and new-age-y and probably wouldn't work (sometimes it doesn't, and I just need to take a sedative my doc provides), but it seems to do the trick sometimes. 

You're definitely not alone though. I've come across a lot of research that suggests that anxiety is a huge factor in migraines because your pain gets away from you when you feel like you're not in control. When all else fails, take a few deep breaths and remind yourself it will pass, and try to focus on something else (sometimes even making a mental grocery list helps cure my anxiety, because I'm not thinking about the pain and I'm probably thinking about delicious desserts instead...). Smile

~Lauren M~
London School of Economics & Political Science
Media & Communications Researcher
http://lmmcgrath.wordpress.com
lmmcgrath13
lmmcgrath13

http://lmmcgrath.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:17 pm

It's a sudden seratonin drop.  I've noticed it as a fairly reliable pronome prior to a migraine.  Mine manifests more as a really bad mood for no apparent reason.  When I stop and think about it, I'll realize it's a sign the migraine is coming.  Sure enough a few hours later the pain symptoms start.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down