migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

testosterone replacement and migraines

3 posters

Go down

testosterone replacement and migraines Empty testosterone replacement and migraines

Post  charmed quark Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:58 pm

The question has come up as to whether low testosterone in men is associated with migraines. In my case, I think it is the other way around.

Over a decade ago my T-level was tested and found to be high normal. My doctor was concerned because at the time they thought high testosterone was associated with heart disease and prostate cancer. He advised me to take up endurance exercise such as jogging to lower it. They now know it is the opposite, that high normal is associated with a lower incidence of both.

At the time, my migraines were off the charts. Since then, they have been gradually declining until now, even without treatment, they are tolerable. Meanwhile, I have been suffering a lot of fatigue. I had been told that is common with my disease and have been offered various therapies but have so far refused them.

My pain doctor did a complete panel to see if anything else might be causing my fatigue. One interesting finding was that my T-levels have declined to mid-to-low normal. He thought that might be part of my problem and suggested low dosage T-replacement.

I thought that might be fun so agreed. I was worried about side effects but the doctor assured me it was a fairly low dose, about 1/2 of what they normally start people on. He said he took 8 times the dose he was prescribing and the only side effects were that he felt better physically and was in a better mood.

It was a gel form. The first day I tried it I got a severe migraine about an hour after I applied it. It was so bad I showered to try to remove the gel ( it is very slowly absorbing). I was sick most of the day. It could have had nothing to do with the T-gel, so the next day I tried 1/2 the dose. Same thing.

I just looked up side effects and headache is near the top!

I'm going to wait a week and try again but I fear it is not for me. Other than fatigue I am perfectly happy with my T-level, a lot happier than I was in my 20s when I'm sure it was very high. I feel much more mellow.

So just a data point, guys.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

testosterone replacement and migraines Empty Re: testosterone replacement and migraines

Post  charmed quark Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:50 am

Follow up -

Turns out that the peppermint capsules I was taking for IBS may have been knocking my testosterone down. I had read a study reporting this, but didn't really believe it. My doctor recommended I stop the peppermint and also take a vitamin D supplement - I was a little low in blood levels of D which he said can also reduce testosterone.

It feels like my levels are back up, but we haven't measured yet.

Now I just have to find something else to take for my IBS.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

testosterone replacement and migraines Empty Re: testosterone replacement and migraines

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:51 pm

I've been taking 10 mg of testosterone as a part of my hormone therapy. Luckily no problem with headaches from it.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:44 pm

Does the gel have any artifical colorings? I find those to be the worst offenders when it comes to prescription meds and headaches.
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:14 pm

No gel. It is a white powder I take sublingually. No artificial colors or preservatives.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  charmed quark Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:49 am

Same here, it is a topical cream made out of glycerin and oil with the active ingredient in it. In any case, I've never been bothered by the artificial ingredients you mentioned.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down