migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Migraines and hydration

4 posters

Go down

Migraines and hydration Empty Migraines and hydration

Post  Feddy Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:26 pm

Just curious...sometimes when I get a monster migraine (like today) I get extremely thirsty. I drink all day. I can't eat much but can't quench my thirst. I especially want (crave?) hot drinks. Question

I can find all kinds of information on dehydration being a trigger for migraines, but I am exceptionally careful about staying hydrated, so I don't think that's it.

But I can't find any information on why I get so thirsty during a migraine! Help?

Feddy

Back to top Go down

Migraines and hydration Empty Re: Migraines and hydration

Post  3K9sMum Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:17 pm

I have found that when I take one of the meds like Imitrex or Relpax when I get a migraine it makes me super thirsty. Could it be that? That's all I've got to offer. Sorry!

3K9sMum

Back to top Go down

Migraines and hydration Empty Oliver Sacks book...

Post  Summer Rain Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:14 am

Hi Feddy,
I remember reading in the famous Oliver Sacks migraine book that migraines are often accompanied by significant fluid retention and that often a release of that fluid will occur when the migrain "breaks" - via urine, vomitting, snot, tears, sweating etc.

I can't rember the details of it, but as the book is so informative, it would be worth taking a look at anyway. (Make sure to get the right edition - some were significantly shortened by the publishing houses)

cat SR

* I think it's the 1992 Edition, called "Migraines: Revised and Expanded" by University of California Press
Summer Rain
Summer Rain

Back to top Go down

Post  Feddy Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:31 am

Thanks to you both. The book is a great recommendation, I haven't heard of it but am going to look it up for sure.

Perhaps it is the drugs? That might make a lot of sense. Don't know, just thought it was an interesting phenomenon, more so because of my constant craving for hot drinks and the fact that it happens almost every time (regardless as to what medication I take).

Good news...the pain has receded substantially today. Smile Where I live we are going through a major weather transition and the temperature has dropped roughly 10 degrees in two days (going down another 5 - 8 tomorrow). It was mild and dry two days ago and now it's snowy, freezing and windy. Grrr this is exactly the type of weather change that ALWAYS triggers me.

Hopefully the worst is over now.

Feddy

Back to top Go down

Post  Angela0611 Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:31 am

Thats interesting i usually crave something sweet or chocolate milk shake the day before my migraine will attack! I get prodome sxs. Oh and i HATE chocolate but when i crave it i have to have it n either that night or next day i will have the wirst migraine! But i dont get thirsty not until its passed bug i think because of all the drugs they have given me!

I will ask my phycisian about that

A

Angela0611

Back to top Go down

Post  Feddy Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:32 pm

I crave chocolate and diet coke before the pain and those are huge warning signs for me that something is probably coming. I also have NO appetite other than what my cravings "require" me to consume. I will literally force myself to eat when I can because I know that being hungry (even if I don't feel hungry) will make things worse. So interesting.

Feddy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down