migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need a new injection site

+2
tortoisegirl
ladysilverfalls
6 posters

Go down

Need a new injection site Empty Need a new injection site

Post  ladysilverfalls Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:55 pm

Hey all! I am hoping that someone here can give me a suggestion as to where else I can inject my imitrex shots. Up to now I have been alternating between my left and right shoulders. However the last time I used my left shoulder I ended up with my shoulder bleeding like I had sliced it open. I have used my right arm the last two times I needed the shot, but now it is starting to do the same thing. Are there any other places I can use? I take a 6mg injection and I have been using the intramuscular route.
Suggestions?

ladysilverfalls

Back to top Go down

Need a new injection site Empty Re: Need a new injection site

Post  tortoisegirl Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Welcome! I have always done IM injections into my thigh, but have also heard of butt/hip.. Check the leaflet that comes with it (or search online for the Imitrex injection prescribing info if you don't have one). I've never heard of shoulders for an IM injection. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:43 pm

i did imitrex shots for 4 years, quite often, always in one thigh or the other. where there is the most MEAT. ha!

it got so i could do them almost in my sleep (that's when my M's hit, 4 a.m.) and barely opening my eyes. i can't imagine doing them in the shoulder. so why not try your mid-thigh or even the side of the thigh? dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:58 pm

I did one once in my thigh. It had bad side effects, even though I can take the pill form just fine. But there was no issue with injecting in my thigh.
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Jilly Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:08 pm

I use these same shots too. I have always just given them to myself in my thigh, although the leaflet does tell me I can inject it into anywhere I can find an adequate fatty tissue layer. I have only been using them for a few months. After I inject I always get quite the site reaction, so I never want to give it to myself in a place other people would notice.

Jilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Angela0611 Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:01 pm

I have always injected imitrex to patients sub q! Just grab your fatty tissue inside your arms squeeze it n inject it! I've never injected it to myself or other patients IM I have always been instructed as subcutaneous.

Angela

Angela0611

Back to top Go down

Need a new injection site Empty sites and reactions

Post  ladysilverfalls Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:09 pm

ok so the doctor told me to do it IM style in the arm because it was the closest to my head (for my thunderclap migraines) and the box says take as directed and the insert for the packet inside says either IM/fat layer or SUB-Q. very confused about that right now.
as far as site reactions, I generally dont have a site reaction. every now and then some of the medicine hovers in the muscle and if i bump the spot it will release what was ever was residual. my only side effect that i am aware of is the burning sensation in my brain and finger tips that i get about a minute after i take the shot. i told the doctor about it and apperently it is one of the rarer side effects. nothing too bad about it, only lasts about 10-20 minutes and usually the migraine is gone and i just have to wait for the sensitivities (light sound smell) and the nausea to pass afterwards. that does not take more then an hour or so depending on how bad it was before i shot myself.

ladysilverfalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down