migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stabbing pains in ear

4 posters

Go down

Stabbing pains in ear Empty Stabbing pains in ear

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:07 pm

Does anyone else get weird stabbing pains in their ear?
It happens to me periodically and can last a few hours to several days.
It feels like someone poking my eardrum with a sharp object.

I know many of you get stabbing pains behind the eyeball (I do also on the left side).
This is like that, only in the ear.

I've had it checked by doctors before, and there is no infection or anything.
I don't know if is related to the migraines or not. It is always in my left ear,
which is the one with the most sensitivity to sound also, and the left side is the
side my headaches are always on.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Stabbing pains in ear Empty Re: Stabbing pains in ear

Post  Feddy Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:13 am

Yes!!! You described it perfectly - just like the stabbing in my eye, only in my ear. For me, it happens infrequently, usually with the worst migraines. I can't add anything helpful, I don't know why or anything like that, but wanted to let you know that you're not alone with it.

Feddy

Back to top Go down

Stabbing pains in ear Empty Ear pain and jaw pain too

Post  Summer Rain Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi, I'm new here...

I have ear pain too, with my migraines. Mine is not stabbing, really - it's either dull, sharp or like electricity.
I get that in connection with jaw pain and intense pain in all my teeth at the same time.

I don't know what helps with the ear pain.
I find that peppermint essential oil from the chemist rubbed onto my gums helps stop the tooth pain... tho it tastes pretty disgusting.

Do you do anything specific, to reduce the ear pain?

SR
Summer Rain
Summer Rain

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:19 pm

Well I'm glad to hear its not just me. But sorry you have this too.
I seem to get the ear pain when I'm not having a migraine. It makes
me nervous that one is coming.

My doctor told me to try taking a decongestant, but I can't tell that helps any.
The best relief seems to be a heating pad held to my ear. It doesn't stop it from happening,
But certainly reduces the pain for a bit.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Prinny09 Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:27 pm

Re: Stabbing Pain in Ear
I just started getting this pain a couple of months ago. I went to the doctor to see if I was suffering from an ear infection-nope-my ear was "pink and healthy" according to doc's examination. Three days of suffering and I was ready to go back to the doctor convinced he was wrong. It was so painful...like someone was taking a knife and stabbing the inside of my ear continuously. Ibuprofen would dull the pain but not take it away completely. On the fourth day, the pain was gone. I want to add that at the time, I was not suffering from migraine but I had gotten a migraine five days earlier and it seemed to have passed.
Fast forward to a month later. I had gotten my hormonal migraine and gotten over it and yep, you guessed it, the ear pain had returned with a vengence. But I noticed that the pain had also radiated to my lower jaw and cheekbone...all on the right side of my face. I go to the immediate care clinic because my doc was not in on a Weds and I see a new doc. She says my ear is "pink and healthy", no infection. I tell her of my previous doc visit for same problem a month earlier. She says it is probably a form of neuralgia and that i should maybe see a neurologist? Could be trigeminal or occipital neuralgia, very common condition. Or could be a dental problem. So i see my dentist the next day. No dental probs. I have not seen a neurologist just yet. I know he/she will order a CT scan...something I cannot afford right now. So I am just dealing. Yes, a heating pad does help. No, decongestants, like sudafed do not work, neither does allergy meds like Claritin because the pain is not sinus, it is nerve pain. Never have the stabbing ear pain with migraine. I feel your pain. Google trigeminal neuralgia/occipital neuralgia for more info. My best to you.

Prinny09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down