migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Graves Disease masked as migraines? Anyone?

2 posters

Go down

Graves Disease masked as migraines?  Anyone? Empty Graves Disease masked as migraines? Anyone?

Post  trutland Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:25 pm

Sorry, this is somewhat of a repost as I posted it to another topic of mine regarding tachycardia....but I've been doing some digging lately and...

After some research and some "aha" moments, I remember an episode with my thyroid back in 2003 when I was diagnosed with migraines.

I had some abnormal labs suggesting hyperthyroidism and a positive thyroid scan indicating possible Graves Disease. When I was referred to an endocrinologist, he simply brushed it off and told me I was "too young to worry about this"....

Shortly after, my migraines and thyroid symptoms fell silent, save for a few migraines per year. I was so intimidated by this doctor that I never sought a second opinion and the thought of Graves Disease never crossed my mind again until all these symptoms stared reappearing this year. I am hoping that these tests done years ago were false-positives. If not, I may have been living with an auto-immune disorder, masked as migraines for at least 9 years...if not longer.

Looking back, I found photos of me with a VERY enlarged thyroid gland. I have gathered those photos, and the thyroid reports and scans and am taking them with me to the doctor in early January. I'll give an update when I know more.....

Anyone with helpful info, please pass along. Many thanks.
trutland
trutland

Back to top Go down

Graves Disease masked as migraines?  Anyone? Empty Re: Graves Disease masked as migraines? Anyone?

Post  Mule Kick Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:57 pm

I do not know about Graves disease, but I have been diagnosed with multi-nodular Goiter.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Graves Disease masked as migraines?  Anyone? Empty Re: Graves Disease masked as migraines? Anyone?

Post  trutland Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:23 pm

Mule Kick wrote:I do not know about Graves disease, but I have been diagnosed with multi-nodular Goiter.

Did your doc seem to think this plays a role in your Migraines? My scan did not show any nodules, just a 35% uptake in sodium.....and the radiology report said "indicates Graves disease."

Just waiting to talk to my new primary and a have new set of tests, I presume.
trutland
trutland

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down