migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weaning off Inderol?

Go down

Weaning off Inderol? Empty Weaning off Inderol?

Post  Guest Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:23 pm

Hello,
I'm a new gal here. I was hoping for some advice about Inderol - Beta Blockers. I'm currently taking it as a preventative. I have just been diagnosed with transformed migraine and trying to come to terms with that, preventatives, and the merry go round of seeing GP's that all think I'm just some old bag with a bit of a head ache.....
Anyway, I've been taking Inderol with a little bit of success - 40 mg twice a day. My doctor (GP) says that you do not have taper off of it, can just stop it cold turkey whenever I like. Hmm. My pharmacist says its better to taper off gradually, not only for your heart but also so not to get the "mother of all migraines" as a back lash.... From reading this forum gradually sounds like the best way to do it, but my doctor says definitely nope, just stop when ever you like....

I apologise if this has already been posted somewhere already, I have not read through all the old topics. and I can't get in to see my neurologist for at least another couple of months, thanks to living in "sleepy hollow"! (middle of nowhere.....shortage of neurologists at the local hospital, looooonnngg waiting list....)

So....can anyone please advise me on this? If they did taper off, how they did it? Is it okay to cut the pills in half? (I've heard that you can't do that to some meds, or it inadvertently increases the dose?) I'd just like to have that information there, so that I'm not worried about how to get off it in the future, or if I have some weird side effect. I had a nasty experience with amitriptyline not so long ago, and a mad dash to the emergency room with racing heart and dangerously low blood pressure.....so I'm kind of spooked about meds at the moment. I can't get in to see my neurologist for at least another couple of months, thanks to living in "sleepy hollow"!!!

So any advice would be much appreciated,

Curls.

Back to top Go down

Weaning off Inderol? Empty Re: Weaning off Inderol?

Post  Seaine Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:21 am

I was taking Propranolol 40mg per day and I stopped cold turkey. I did have a lot of side effects from stopping, such as my heart racing and palpitations. When I next went to my doctor she told me that was dangerous and I should have tapered off. Whoops! She also told me I could have broken the pills in half. Generally, if they are instant-release pills tablets you can break them in half. If they are extended-release, then if you break them they may become instant-release.
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:32 am

Thanks Seaine,
That all makes sense and helps. It confirms what the pharmacist says..and what I've read elsewhere. But it's good to get it from someone that has taken it, so thanks muchly!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down