migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to forum, frustrated

3 posters

Go down

New to forum, frustrated Empty New to forum, frustrated

Post  Leigh01 Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi! I am new to the forum but not new to migraine and chronic daily headache. I've had a bad one all day today after a rotten day yesterday at work. I saw my neuro a few weeks ago and had my prevenative changed, again. For a long time Neurontin was working and then it just sort of fizzled out for me and I began eating Motrin several times a day, every day. I figured I was in rebound when the Motrin wouldn't touch it and I can not take triptans at all. So I had to deal with the rebound and he started me on Amitriptyline 25 mg's for a week then supposed to increase to 50 mg at bedtime. I began the 25 mg and it worked, I woke up with no headache, just sedation. I was sleepy all day, slow, groggy. No way can I try to go to 50 mg's right now. Anyways, I had a rotten day yesterday that began at work with 2 difficult situations. I work for a doctor's office. Anyways, I felt ok other than my usual groggy, slow self on the med and out of nowhere I felt hot, tingly, broke out in a sweat and almost fainted. I laid down, drank a coke, had a cold towel and after I came to my senses I felt ok I guess. I ate lunch and finished my work day without another near fainting episode. It was the first time since starting it I felt that way. I have noticed though I forget to eat sometimes and then I realize I am starving so I don't know if my blood sugar had bottomed out or what. It was scarey to say the least. I got home and had another crisis with my teenage daughter that got me all worked up, I didn't sleep well last night after taking it and then today I've had a whopper of a headache all day.
I guess I can say that while I feel goofy on the amitriptyline, I've only had 2 bad episodes since I started taking it a few weeks ago. I just feel so loopy on 25 mg's I can't imagine how loopy I'd feel on 50 mg's at this point. But like I said, other than the 2 bad ones, I can see some improvement over all. I just hate the stupid headaches/migraines. My head just hurts, my face and teeth hurt, nauseated, all of it.
Anyone else have experience with this as a prevenative? My sister also suffers with migraine and CDH and she's been on it for years but at a higher dose than I am on but I know everyone is different. My 16 year old neice is also on it for the same thing. Migraine just runs rampant in the family.
I know I'm just rambling. Just glad others know how I feel.
Thanks!!

Leigh01

Back to top Go down

New to forum, frustrated Empty Re: New to forum, frustrated

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi Leigh,

Sorry you are having such a lousy time. I was on 20 mg amitriptyline for 3 years. Biggest problem was sleepiness. I would sleep long and hard. Hard to get up in the morning and needed naps, but no other issues. I finally weened myself off of it this summer. Back to more normal sleep problems. Headaches about the same. Good luck!
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  WitsEnd Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:11 am

Hi Leigh,

I am the same on Amitryp. I turn into a complete zombie on it, which is why I only use it when I'm on a break from my usual preventatives.

I actually feel like a fog has lifted when I get it out of my system.

Are you going back to your usual preventative after a break? I have to do it that way. My body gets too used to the usual drug being in my system and it stops working. I take a month break from it and after the month break I pick up my usual preventative (candesartan now but was atenolol for a long time) and it works again flower
WitsEnd
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down