migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

problems with voluntary work need advice about what to say

2 posters

Go down

problems with voluntary work need advice about what to say Empty problems with voluntary work need advice about what to say

Post  dizzyflower Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:53 am

Some of you may know that I have been volunteering at a school.

It seems that some staff are wondering what I'm doing there and one or two have noticed some of my symptoms and taken it that I am nervous and don't know what to do, which is really embarrassing because I'm as qualified as they are, but suffer rather badly from some aura symptoms in certain rooms thanks to the lighting setting things off.

If I say too much I will be seen as a burden, but if I don't say enough any future feedback if i go for a job in the future could be ruined. Unfortunately because I volunteer rather than am paid it feels that I am watched more due to the novelty element. It seems that I need to perform better than I would if I was well to survive this at the moment. This is really hard with visual disturbances and feeling shaky due to migraine. Any ideas short of creating the miracle cure would be welcome.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

problems with voluntary work need advice about what to say Empty Re: problems with voluntary work need advice about what to say

Post  Mini Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:25 am

I sympathise with your dilemma, I know these looks so well! Only, since I am older then you in my case they usually mean "poor woman, she is obviously going senile/menopausal/unhindged", take your pick, I have seen them all over the years.
Now, I am mostly considered excentric due to hats and huge sunglasses I have to wear due to sun/light sensitivity. The kinder souls add that I always look so elegant, even my pharmacist who gives me my Imigran prescription. But this is the life with M.

Some ideas come to mind about your work:
Face people with humour if you can when you notice their looks, and say something like:
"I know, I know it is all a side effect from some new tablets my Dr prescribed, they make me quite dizzy/shaky", or whatever best describes your symptoms.

But make sure that you make light of it, smile as you say it, so they do not treat it as a big problem so this will attract less attention (and will have less impact for your future work prospects, if this is what worries you).

I take it that they know about your headaches, if not, tell them. Maybe just tell one person who seems most friendly.
But again I would make light of it and treat the h'aches more as a nuissance rather then a serious permament condition, so smile when you talk about it, and then you can add that the tablets are for your headaches.

You can also add that it is bad lighting at your current place of work that affects your headaches lately and this is why you have to take those tablets.

IN my experince, once people know something like that, they quickly loose interest and forget all about it. Just watch their reaction and act accordingly.

Think what would get the best response, and in meantime do not stress over it too much, get to know them a little better and it will get easier. You don't owe them a full explanation.

Godd luck and let us know how you got on.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

problems with voluntary work need advice about what to say Empty thanks Mini

Post  dizzyflower Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:38 am

I have had a bit of a chat with my line manager and we have worked out that the folks that think I don't know what to do etc have had little contact with me because I have been placed in their classes for a short amount of time, so they don't actually know my background at all which is easy to put right. When I am doing my voluntary work I am pushing at the boundaries of what I can physically do so I am going to get some problems. it doesn't help that I am on a medication break so am more reliant on those dark glasses. I didn't think that much about what others would be thinking about me when I started this, they make some funny assumptions. I like the idea of being stylish in dark glasses a bit like a film star?
regards
Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

problems with voluntary work need advice about what to say Empty Re: problems with voluntary work need advice about what to say

Post  Mini Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:28 pm

I wear mine all the time. Even today, when it was overcast and pouring with rain my sunglasses are either on my nose, or on my head "always ready". Never leave home withiut them.
I m ust also wear hat/s, becasue I am highly sensitive to light, especially sunlight.

And although I do not mind wearing my sunglasses, I must admit I hate wearing hats. Even if people tell me how smart it looks, this is not what it is all about. I much prefer not to attract attention, and hats, even modest ones, have this effect (I am not even talking about my ruined hairstyles).

Yes, this condition has a lost of unwelcome "side effects" - we just muddle through it, the best way we can.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

problems with voluntary work need advice about what to say Empty well it wasn't safe to drive there again

Post  dizzyflower Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:22 am

And I am finding it very difficult to be cheerful about it. I managed to phone up and apologize but it is embarrassing. The school was lovely about it, but I have got to get it together somehow. I have had to explain that I am waiting for another neuro apointment before I get any more medication, so this is me without any. I can't even get Butterbur anymore because i'm in the uK. They rekon it will be a while before petadolex is allowed back into the country, so I don't think I can even order any from abroad.

So I am one step backwards from being at the school and having to explain my off moments, it's all an off moment. At least before I had a plan.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

problems with voluntary work need advice about what to say Empty I managed to get to school yesterday!

Post  dizzyflower Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:59 am

it was great to feel useful for the day. Totally shattered today, but at least I managed it. Just need to recover for Thursday now.

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down