migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surgery for migraine: boon or boondoggle?

3 posters

Go down

Surgery for migraine: boon or boondoggle? Empty Surgery for migraine: boon or boondoggle?

Post  charmed quark Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:40 am

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20120421_Surgery_for_migraines__A_big_help_or_hokum_.html
"Nothing works for everyone," said Teri Robert of Washington, W.Va., whose migraine odyssey inspired an educational book and her website, helpforheadaches.com.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Surgery for migraine: boon or boondoggle? Empty Re: Surgery for migraine: boon or boondoggle?

Post  Migrainegirl Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:52 am

I think it sounds great. If I knew of a doctor around me who did the surgery I'd probably look seriously into giving it a try. As botox did not work for me the one time I tried it, however, I don't know if I would be a good candidate.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Surgery for migraine: boon or boondoggle? Empty Re: Surgery for migraine: boon or boondoggle?

Post  Cathy Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:08 pm

I went to him 8 years ago and had the botox and it didn't do anything. He still wanted to do the surgery but, 8 years ago, I was given a price of $13,000 and insurance wouldn't cover any of it. If the botox had worked, I might have tried it. I'm glad to hear it worked for 70% of the patients. But I'm pretty sure I would have been one of the 30% who paid $13,000 and it didn't work. I think $10,000 must be a bare minimum starting point. My cost also included staying next to the office in a townhouse they owned because I live too far away to travel back and forth.

I remember that he was training other doctors to perform the surgery so maybe there is a list somewhere of doctors in other cities who could be contacted.

-Cathy

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down