migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URGENT - MAXALT and MUSCLE PAIN

+2
tdu
evary
6 posters

Go down

URGENT - MAXALT and MUSCLE PAIN Empty URGENT - MAXALT and MUSCLE PAIN

Post  evary Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:35 am

I'm a long term migraine sufferer (over 20 years) and have recently (about 2 months) been experiencing muscle and bone pain, especially in my arms and legs. I'm beginning to suspect it's long-term use of triptans, especially maxalt which I have been taking regularly now for over 8 years. Has anybody else experienced muscle pain when using Maxalt?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
evary
calgary, canada

evary

http://www.calgarydentist.ca

Back to top Go down

URGENT - MAXALT and MUSCLE PAIN Empty Re: URGENT - MAXALT and MUSCLE PAIN

Post  tdu Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:37 am

I experience it when using it, and generally the day after, but nothing permanent. It was way worse with Immetrex for me.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  evary Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:41 am

tdu wrote:I experience it when using it, and generally the day after, but nothing permanent. It was way worse with Immetrex for me.

How long did the muscle pain last? a couple of days? Was the muscle pain in your arms and legs? thanks

evary

http://www.calgarydentist.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:50 am

It generally lasts for maybe 48 hours at the most after taking it. It's general muscle tightness and will occur over most of my body. My fingers and knees will get sore as well. If I have to take 2 doses to get rid of a headache, it's worse. It's always happened with Triptans for me though. As mentioned, it was the worst by far with Immetrex. I'd get so much muscle tightness that breathing would hurt. Would feel like I had been tackled or something.

As far as I know, it's a listed side effect with all these drugs. But you have to watch out for chest pain that could be heart related. If you are having that you may want to see a Dr.

EDIT doing a search I found this:

Some side effects of Maxalt MLT occur for a short time when you begin taking the medication and they will fade with use. If any of these do continue, contact your doctor. These side effects of Maxalt MLT include sensation of cold or heat, euphoria, spasms in the muscles, pain in the muscles, stiffness or tightness in the joints or muscles, noises in the ears, dry eyes, headaches, indigestion, increases in thirst or sweating, depression, anxiety, chills, blurred vision, irritation in the eyes, irritability, insomnia, nausea, drowsiness or fatigue.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/70447-side-effects-maxalt-mlt/#ixzz1sPqpUK6H

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:02 pm

my migraine history goes back 43 years. when imitrex first came on the market (the first triptan) i began the shots immediately, and they allowed me to have a life. when imitrex quit working after 4 years of use, i went to maxalt.

so that means i've been taking maxalt (alternating with amerge) for 15 years now. although i have bad effects from almost every drug and supplement out there, (extreme sensitivity to multiple things) i have never had a single one from maxalt.

you could, perhaps, try another of the 7 triptans. this side effect, for you, sounds severe, and something to which you should definitely pay attention. dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

URGENT - MAXALT and MUSCLE PAIN Empty maxalt and zomig

Post  chelle8178 Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:26 am

I switch between Maxalt and Zomig. I have noticed some muscle achiness with Maxalt but not severe. I have been taking it on and off for the better part of 13 years. I like Zomig a little better right now only because it is way stronger, so I usually only need half a pill at a time, which saves money since insurance will only allow 9 of each (Maxalt and Zomig) a month and I get migraines every day. So, if you haven't tried Zomig, you should ask your dr about it. The only side effect I noticed from it is fatigue but that is true of Maxalt, as well. Good luck!
chelle8178
chelle8178

http://fuzzyredbees.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

URGENT - MAXALT and MUSCLE PAIN Empty maxalt.

Post  rileyoday Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:49 am

Triptans always gave me joint muscle pain, I found maxalt the most gentle. Try another brand of triptan.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:08 am

I get muscle and joint pain from the migraines themselves.
One good thing to try is vitamin D. Since I started taking 5000 mg per day,
most of my muscle pain is gone. It's worth trying for a month to see if it helps you.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down