migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dental visits

+3
Kate
dcook60
mattie
7 posters

Go down

dental visits Empty dental visits

Post  mattie Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:01 pm

When I go to the dentist & the ordeal is over & the novacaine wears off I have an excruciating headache, my neck hurts & I'm miserable. The filling I had today was a difficult one & the procedure took over an hour. I thought I would be ok but now that everything is getting back to normal I'm in pain from my back to the top of my head. Does anyone else have these problems with dental visits? Thanks.

mattie

Back to top Go down

dental visits Empty Re: dental visits

Post  dcook60 Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:16 pm

mattie, i've gone to the same "holistic" dental office for about 20 years. they allow no perfume or stinky cleaning stuff on their premises, because several of their patients are migraineurs and/or chemical sensitivity folks.

all the office personnel are trained in patient safety and comfort. they fuss about the headrests, a blanket to cover me if i need one, and the position of the chair. (my head needs to be UP as much as is possible, otherwise not only do i get a killer head, but i cough and cough so they can't work on me, Very Happy)

neck position is all-important. mine has a backward curve, has had fusion surgery, so is extra-vulnerable to bad positioning.

if it's a possibility for you to ask for these things, please do. otherwise, look for a different dental office. dental visits are bad enough without the added misery that you describe. good luck, dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  mattie Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:16 am

Thanks dianne, There is not a holistic dentist in my area. Thankfully there was no perfume but I did smell a slight odor of cleaner. I always ask they not lay me any further back than necessary. The position of the chair varies with each visit. I will take my own neck pillow the next time.

mattie

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:11 am

Mattie, how was it having to keep your mouth open for that long? That's what gives me problems. I was also told that when you get a root canal that they put a device in your mouth to keep your mouth open. Anybody have this done and how did it affect your head?

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:28 am

I also forgot to ask for anyone whos had a crown, if that stuff they use for a mold has given you problems? It tastes terrible and made me want to throw up. I'm really sensitive to these types of things now and everything is magnified thanks to my migraines.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  mattie Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:21 am

I didn't have to hold my mouth open the entire time but my jaws are sore today. I have osteoporosis in my jaws so it was uncomfortable. One thing I hate is when the chair is fully reclined I feel I can't swallow & feel like I'm choking.

Kate, they can do what they call one day crowns now & you don't have to have an impression made. It's all done with computer. That is, if you are a candidate for it. I don't know what decides if you are a candidate. Google, one day crowns. I can't remember the exact name.

mattie

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:36 pm

I had a filling fall our and the tooth break off.
He did me a white filling. No drill, nothing horrible.

All was fine for 3 days. On the third day, I got awful toothache.
This is now 4 weeks ago. The filling is fine, but I have a lump high up in the gum line.
My sinuses which sit right on my nerves had fired off.
Now I have neuralgia. I cant get out of pain.

Pain meds dont touch it, I am going crazy with this...

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:52 pm

pen, it's good to see you here! i must admit, i rarely visit your site anymore......too busy i guess, with working 30 hours/week at age 72.

so sorry about your neuralgia problem. i've had that rotten disorder twice, (trigeminal neuralgia) both times from dental drilling. thankfully, it went away after a couple of months, and i hope yours does, also.

two 500 mg. tylenol worked like magic for me, the first time i had it. the second time, nothing much worked, but the problem gradually faded away.

dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi Dianne, Nice to speak with you too.
My site is pretty busy these days.
Stop by and see us when you can.
Good to hear you are keeping busy and able to do so.
Are you still on the near daily triptans?
You are a testimony to their safety.

Some of us are trying a process which really seems to help a lot of people.
Not just with migraines, but many other conditions.
If you want to know more, just pm me. I dont want to look like I am promoting something.
Im not, but it is exciting.

My sinus thing flared at Christmas and they gave me anti bios.
That upset my IBS.
They I had the tooth break, and it started up the other side.
So more anti bios, and more gut problems.

I have not even started 2012. Just been sat holding my stupid face.

I am heartened that you say yours went after a while though.
I need these lumps on the gum to go down, they hurt, but I guess it is down to time.

you take care my friend, and dont forget, you know where to find me...

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesBryson Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:36 am

It happens with my brother when he has been treated for dental implants. Specially fixing that implant in jaw bone. pale But it was for those few days only!

CharlesBryson

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:23 am

Pen, can't dentist fix it?
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

dental visits Empty Dental Bite Blocks

Post  Jilly Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:52 pm

Kate wrote: I was also told that when you get a root canal that they put a device in your mouth to keep your mouth open.

That device is called a "Bite Block". It is made of rubber. I have asked for one since about 1995. I never get work done without one. When I was in high school I learned some really neat relaxation techniques that I like to use at the dentist. I cannot focus on the relaxation AND focus on holding my mouth open at the same time. If I had to hold my mouth open I think I would have bitten my dentist numerous times by now. My mouth is also very small and he can barely get his hands in there anyways. My dentist also offers me lots of breaks from the bite block and does not make me keep it in there for long periods of time. I love those bite blocks! I hate what they do in my mouth while it is in there though!

This is what the Bite Block allows you to do. Instead of trying to hold your mouth open all the time, it allows you to relax your jaw. It is very straining to hold your mouth open for a very long period of time.

Jilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks, Jilly. Next time I go I will ask about it.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:55 pm

Unfortunately, I am very apt to get a migraine from the dentist. Having to turn my head for very long and keeping my mouth open that long are both killers. Luckily my dentist and the hygienist are very compassionate and good about giving me frequent breaks. This really helps a lot!
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down