migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hormone related migraines

4 posters

Go down

hormone related migraines Empty hormone related migraines

Post  migraine53 Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:38 pm

Does anyone have any ideas for dealing with menstrual migraine? I can't wait for menopause, maybe that will help. I am thankful my chronic migraines are under control, but I can't seem to avoid them twice a month Crying or Very sad I would prefer not to take medication and am wondering if anyone has found herbals or other natural means to deal with the migraine when I get them. I don't need something every day, just a couple times a month.

migraine53

Back to top Go down

hormone related migraines Empty Re: hormone related migraines

Post  BabySeal Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Although my chronic migraines are not yet under complete control (getting there!) I had the problems before and after my cycles as well.

I have not found anything to help with those except my birth control Mirena. I still do not love this BC 100% but it has helped with the headaches because the hormone levels are always delivered consistently. There is no drop off (which can trigger a M) for a hormone free week to induce a period. It was awful for a few months after insertion because of heavy and long cycles but it evened out and now I dont get periods anymore!! Very Happy

Good Luck! Other than the Mirena IUD I basically had to just treat those headaches as they came because they were hormone related Sad

BabySeal

Back to top Go down

Post  BabySeal Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Also to add... I realized nothing about what I posted was non-medicinal... sorry I was of no help .

Hope you get relief!

BabySeal

Back to top Go down

hormone related migraines Empty progesterone cream

Post  akunamatata Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 am

i use natural bio identical progesterone cream from ovulation to blood flow and have found it changed my life considerably. i used to get them for 3 days. i rub a tiny bit onto my thigh. i worry a lot about it because some say progesterone causes cancer, but honestly the migraines were killing me and excessive oestregen which the progesterone cream "mops up" also causes cancer, who knows eh!

akunamatata

Back to top Go down

hormone related migraines Empty thanks for the suggestion

Post  migraine53 Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:34 am

[/b]I have thought about progesterone cream before, but was always afraid to try it, thanks for sharing your expereince! Smile

migraine53

Back to top Go down

Post  Wendy Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:37 pm

I've had no success with any treatment apart from propronalol (sp?), which is unfortunately drug-based. I resisted for about a year before finally giving in after a friend who happens to be a pharmacist told me the triptans would be more harmful in the long run than the daily drugs. Progesterone cream didn't work, HRT didn't work (I'm nowhere near close to menapause - it was purely for the migraines), no contraceptive pill worked, and no diet-related stuff worked.

However, right before I went on the drugs, a friend suggested the quinoa diet, where you include quinoa regularly in your meals as there's something in it that helps regulate oestrogen levels. I didn't have time to see if it had any effect before giving in and going on the drugs (which, after a few months, seem to be helping reduce the number of migraines).

I hope you find something that works.
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down