migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brand new here

2 posters

Go down

Brand new here Empty Brand new here

Post  Headforward Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Hello,

I am 59 and my migraines have worsened after menopause. But so has my stress.

I am compelled to find a group of supporters because I just had to end a friendship, when my supposed friend just could not believe I really had migraines.

I also wonder about my medical care from an HMO. The doctor gives me Maxalt. She will not allow me more than 9 tablets a month no matter what. I have to try something else, like allergy medicine, to let her know I have tried something else. I know the last sentence sounds absurd.

I take topamax to prevent, but it doesn't work well. The only thing that works well is lack of emotional pain. When I have a good month in this regard I don't need all 9 tablets. When I have a bad month, like this month, it's hard to stretch the nine tablets out.

I am looking for suggestions on how to deal with this. I have never tried anything beyond Maxalt. Before this medicine was available, I would have to go to the HMO and get an emergency shot of Taurodal.

Thank you.

Headforward

Back to top Go down

Brand new here Empty Welcome

Post  chelle8178 Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:48 pm

You will find friends here. I did. I am fairly new here, as well but I am really enjoying the support system I feel here. I hate it that people just don't "get it." A migraine is not "just a headache." I wish it were! I have been suffering with migraines since I was 14 years old, though I started with auras years before that. They became chronic/daily by the time I hit thirty and I had to quit working. I am currently getting them every day and am trying to get disability. It's been a long fight so far, but I am not giving up. I am on Topamax, as well, though I don't think it's helping. I got Botox about three weeks ago--it hasn't helped yet. I take Maxalt (9 pills is the norm for insurance to allow per month, mine is the same now and has been for the past 15 years I've been using it off and on (with at least 3 different insurance providers), Zomig, and Ibuprofen 800 mg as abortives. Sometimes the work, sometimes the don't. I have tried every other drug imaginable as far as preventatives go, from Depakote to Propanolol to Zoloft, a long line of beta-blockers and MAO inhibitors, you name it, I've tried it. I've done Imitrex, DHE and Migranal as abortives with limited success and cannot use narcotics. Narcotics make me nuts. So, that's me. Good to meet you. Wishing you well... Michelle
chelle8178
chelle8178

http://fuzzyredbees.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Brand new here Empty Thank you Chelle

Post  Headforward Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:36 am

I really appreciate your welcome and post. Wow, thanks for listing everything you've tried, it shows how hard it is. I have been good for two days, trying to work on my emotional stress with things I learned at an EBT class. Also staying away from the totally unempathetic friend has helped. I have other friends who understand very well! I will continue to post on here, and to try to be of help!

Headforward

Back to top Go down

Brand new here Empty Re: Brand new here

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down