migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouth guard

4 posters

Go down

Mouth guard Empty Mouth guard

Post  oceandee Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Dentist wants me to try a night time mouth guard but all the cost comes out of my pocket. Have any of you tried drug store guards and what ones do you think are the best.
Thanks
oceandee
oceandee

Back to top Go down

Mouth guard Empty Re: Mouth guard

Post  Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:32 am

I had one once as I was getting headache everyday and he said it was due to me grinding my teeth while sleeping , I agreed to have one made and it cost £199 affraid

It never did any good at all , I couldn't wear it and I couldn't sleep , I found out that I had sleep apnea and not Bruxism .
My doctor told me I have to live with sleep apnea as there is nothing can be done, but I found a briliant video on youtube which shows how to exercise the neck and throat muscles which has really reduced the apnea cheers

Anyway back to mouth guard , is your dentist suggesting you have Bruxism ?
If so you can buy mouth gurards from sports shops which I have heard do just as good a job as the expensive dentist guards .

Regards Happy Feet x

Back to top Go down

Post  oceandee Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:24 am

I am trying one from the drug store. It doesn't need to be fitted as it is adjustable. It isn't bothersome and hasn't interferred with my sleep because it is tiny, not big and bulky. BUT I don't really see a difference. I faithfully wore it for a week but since have forgotten to wear it a couple of time and haven't noticed a difference. It sure would be nice if it helped my sleeping let alone my M but I am not seeing it....yet.
oceandee
oceandee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:49 am

Happy Feet-

You do NOT have to live with sleep apnea. Please research CPAP therapy and demand it if needed. I went to the funeral of someone with untreated sleep apnea this summer, and I religiously wear my CPAP unit, which also helps with the migraines.

Hope this info helps!

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:09 am

Sara79 wrote:Happy Feet-

You do NOT have to live with sleep apnea. Please research CPAP therapy and demand it if needed. I went to the funeral of someone with untreated sleep apnea this summer, and I religiously wear my CPAP unit, which also helps with the migraines.

Hope this info helps!

Hi sara,
Thanks sleep apnea is horrible it deprives the body of oxygen and makes you wake up feeling like you have been kicked around a football field. Since doing the exercises I have had a massive improvement in my sleep. I also know if I have slept well by how my tongue feels, because when sleep apnea happens my tongue falls back and when I wake up gasping for air I seem to always bite my tongue which can get really sore, It scary too .
I never thought it could cause migraines ?
Thanks for the advice about the mask Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:12 am

oceandee wrote: I am trying one from the drug store. It doesn't need to be fitted as it is adjustable. It isn't bothersome and hasn't interferred with my sleep because it is tiny, not big and bulky. BUT I don't really see a difference. I faithfully wore it for a week but since have forgotten to wear it a couple of time and haven't noticed a difference. It sure would be nice if it helped my sleeping let alone my M but I am not seeing it....yet.

Do you suffer from lack of sleep also ?
Its terrible isn't it, I might try one of the guards myself see if it helps with the apnea .

Back to top Go down

Post  oceandee Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:28 am

I have had all the sleep tests done and nothing is out of the norm. I have what I call an Type AAAAA Personality. My mind is always racing. This was great for any of my bosses because I was the person to always get things done but now I am retired and don't have to do anything I don't want to do. BUT I seem to have to still order things out in my mind. I have tried making list the night before to order my next day but if something pops up while I am trying to get back to sleep I have to order it all out or get up and start it. I have had this since I was a child ..... drove my parents crazy. I am not sure if my lack of quality sleep affect my M but I have to take PM pain reliever or Passion Flower every night to get to sleep and then I may sleep only 5 hours or so. I am a night person and have to force myself to go to bed just so hubby and I are at least some what in cynk with our lives. While reviewing all my M symtons I have found stress to be my biggest enemy. I feel like I have monster talons digging into my shoulder. I have done spiritual warfare and have removed all but one of those talons.....will be interesting to see what finally releases that little bugger.
oceandee
oceandee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:36 am

oceandee wrote:I have had all the sleep tests done and nothing is out of the norm. I have what I call an Type AAAAA Personality. My mind is always racing. This was great for any of my bosses because I was the person to always get things done but now I am retired and don't have to do anything I don't want to do. BUT I seem to have to still order things out in my mind. I have tried making list the night before to order my next day but if something pops up while I am trying to get back to sleep I have to order it all out or get up and start it. I have had this since I was a child ..... drove my parents crazy. I am not sure if my lack of quality sleep affect my M but I have to take PM pain reliever or Passion Flower every night to get to sleep and then I may sleep only 5 hours or so. I am a night person and have to force myself to go to bed just so hubby and I are at least some what in cynk with our lives. While reviewing all my M symtons I have found stress to be my biggest enemy. I feel like I have monster talons digging into my shoulder. I have done spiritual warfare and have removed all but one of those talons.....will be interesting to see what finally releases that little bugger.
Oh my goodness that sounds a bit like me, i have to make sure everything is order before I can sleep and if like you something is on my mind I have to get right up and sort it out .
When you say spriritual warfar are you a christian ?

Back to top Go down

Post  oceandee Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:00 am

Yes, I am a Christian. I know satan would like nothing better than to keep me in poor health. I also know there are certain things that trigger my M and knowledge on my part should keep me away from these things but sometimes I forget or think I can sneak a little. This is not saying that there are not things that are physical wrong and that my doctors can't help me. I have put myself on a drug holiday and do not take anything any more than Imetrix as needed. I just didn't like all the side effect of the differant drugs my doc was trying. when I get stressed I have to remember to take time to be quiet and remind satan that he isn't the one incharge and as far as I am concerned his "assignment" has been cancelled. But I also need to stay away from the things that are my triggers. I know my M are both physical and spiritual so I treat both.
oceandee
oceandee

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:02 pm

I've learned to keep a pad of paper in my nightstand. If I'm suffering from "busy brain" and can't sleep for going over and over something in my mind, it really helps if I just get up and write it all down. Some how this off loads it from my mind so I can stop fretting over it and go to sleep. The next morning it never seems nearly so important anyway.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:52 am

Any doctor who says you need to live with sleep apnea and that nothing can be done should lose their medical license. Left untreated, not only does it make you feel terrible, it can lead to heart problems. I strongly urge you to find another doctor and get a CPAP. They may take a week or so to get used to, but they're not as bad as you think, and you'll feel SOOOOO much more alert and awake in the morning.

Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  oceandee Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:42 am

I usually wake up for a "bladder break" or when my hubby gets up for work and then just can't get back to sleep. Brain just starts racing and I have to put it in order or just get up and start it. I just can't let it wait.....I sure that is the whole control thingy. And the funny thing is it isn't anything important.....may be a craft project or something weird like that. Today is coupon day in the paper......that drove me to get up after 5 hours sleep.....like the coupons are going to change or walk away.........I am SO WEIRD!!!!!!
My doctor didn't say I had to live with it but there was nothing to show a direction for action on his part. He did comment that now it was on record so we need to address it some other way. I have been taking PM pain reliever and that helps but I hate the "hangover" feeling I get and sure don't want to depend on them. I do seem to do better on the mornings that my hubby is home.....maybe I feel safer knowing he is in the house. That is so odd because for most of our marriage he was an over the road truck driver and gone alot.
oceandee
oceandee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:34 pm

oceandee wrote:Yes, I am a Christian. I know satan would like nothing better than to keep me in poor health. I also know there are certain things that trigger my M and knowledge on my part should keep me away from these things but sometimes I forget or think I can sneak a little. This is not saying that there are not things that are physical wrong and that my doctors can't help me. I have put myself on a drug holiday and do not take anything any more than Imetrix as needed. I just didn't like all the side effect of the differant drugs my doc was trying. when I get stressed I have to remember to take time to be quiet and remind satan that he isn't the one incharge and as far as I am concerned his "assignment" has been cancelled. But I also need to stay away from the things that are my triggers. I know my M are both physical and spiritual so I treat both.

I am a christian too and I know exactly what you mean, I was praying yesterday for a few hours and I asked the Lord to uproot whatever it is causing the migraine .satan is a liar and as children of God we need to stand firm in our faith and tell him he has no power , you are correct he isn't the one in charge we are.
I have a real phobia to any type of drugs I was in a deep depression a few years before I became a Christian and I was prescribed a medication and it had a really horrible side effects which included racing heart beat and breathing problems, so I can't take anything that is why I try and stick a plain diet , and like Monday it knocked me for six as I had not eaten anything different what might have caused the Migraine apart from some brussell sprouts and mushrooms a week previous, It was very upsetting for me as the migraine aura really frightens me and disturbs me for weeks afterwards .

It's really hard isn't it , we know we are healed by the stripes of Jesus and yet these migraines show their ugly heads every so often and it is hard to understand how it happens when the word of God tells us otherwise .
I will be praying for you , I have opened a Christian forum only the other day I have 6 members so maybe you would like to join us you are very welcome and the more the merrier, we post our favourite songs and pray for each other and it is just really relaxing being in the Lord's precence Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down