migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Propranolol/Inderal

5 posters

Go down

Propranolol/Inderal Empty Propranolol/Inderal

Post  Tamsha101 Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:44 pm

Looks like the neuro is switching me from 50mg of nori to propranolol since I'm still getting daily migraine symptoms. Anyone tried this and had success? What about side effects?

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Propranolol/Inderal Empty Re: Propranolol/Inderal

Post  BillH Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:35 am

I have been on Propranolol for at least 10 years, for my blood pressure as well as the anti-migraine properties. I have had good success reducing the level of migraines, but it only works for a short period of time for me, I stay on it because I tolerate it well and have no side effects.

This week I was ill, and unable to keep anything down... Nausea, who knew... I felt the lack of propranalol with my head pounding worse when standing, bending , reaching... I think that this should be considered a side effect, although it is really just showing the effects of the med.

Good luck, and I hope you find relief with this med.

=Bill

BillH

Back to top Go down

Propranolol/Inderal Empty propranolol and nortryptiline

Post  Mig_rainy Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:17 pm

I've been on both propranolol (80 mg. a day) and nortryptiline (50 mg) for three years. My neuro thinks that they are both helpful taken together, and, although I'm still having two or three migraines a week, I do think that these meds somewhat help. When I've tried going off of them, my migraines do become more severe. As for side effects, I do have problems with dizziness when I get up suddenly, as well as some fatigue. I just wished they worked better than they do. Hope that the pro. helps!

Mig_rainy

Back to top Go down

Post  BillH Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:50 am

I am also on the Nortriptylene, so that should be noted, along with the Gabapentin twice daily.

Promethazine for nausea, and diazapam for dizziness and anxiety, along with a war chest of past meds and pain meds.

My Neuro writes these and my PCP manages it all and does the labs and films. Actually he is worried about some of the pain meds that I am on and doesn't want to answer for them. Can't blame him for that, some of the levels are more than most Rx for most people, but I only use the last resort meds as, well, a last resort.

The ER is 8 hour wait, the clinic is closed and the Dr is out that day... Then I look at the pentabarbital, the 400 of Meperidine and think, if I am able, 'Is now the time'.

I don't recommend access to this stuff without supervision if you have memory issues with Migraine like I do, forgetting you took a big dose of pain meds and trying to do it again a short time later is not fun for anyone... That was a scary night.
Sorry, I just realized that I ran on again. I hope this med can work for you!

=Bill

BillH

Back to top Go down

Post  Angeliek_15 Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:10 am

I've been taking 120mg of Prorananol for a month now, while weaning off Topamax that wasn't effective as they were hoping for.

So far, it hasn't done anything for me, if anything, my migraines are worse than they were on Topamax, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you! It's worth it to try.

My side effects are: Extremely vivid bad dreams, I'm talking waking up in the middle of the night not knowing where I am or what I was doing. A couple of times I woke up thinking there were bugs on my pillows so I tossed then across the room and began screaming. My husband noted that I talk and thrash around in my sleep, which has caused me to wake up terrified or completely wiped out. It has also made me feel totally bogged down, it slows your heartrate so if you like to work out, it takes a lot for the heart to get pumping, strange feeling.

Currently I am cutting down slowly so I can begin another preventative drug and Botox.

Angeliek_15

Back to top Go down

Post  CJ_AlwaysATexan Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:09 am

My BP is so low anyways, that inderal gives me orthostatic hypotension. I drop like a rock!
I have had some luck in using immediate release inderal (not the LA) during a bad migraine, since the beta blocker aspect reduces anxiety.
I much prefer that to using something like klonopin.

CJ_AlwaysATexan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down