migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pain Clinic and long acting meds

4 posters

Go down

Pain Clinic and long acting meds Empty Pain Clinic and long acting meds

Post  Anna Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:07 am

Hi everyone,
It's been awhile since I've been here and I can see that there have been some changes. I wish everyone only the best.

I have been referred to a pain clinic and the doctor here prescribes long acting meds mostly. I wondered what people here who are taking long acting pain meds are taking successfully. Any thoughts? ( I do realize that we all react differently, but I'd like to know what has worked for others with migraine.) This doctor seems to mostly work with people with back pain, though he said that he was getting more migraine patients recently. He is not a neurologist but does specialize in pain management. The whole idea is frightening to me, but I'm willing to try.

Be well.
Anna
Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

Pain Clinic and long acting meds Empty Re: Pain Clinic and long acting meds

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:30 pm

What sort of long acting meds? Im very curious.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Yea, I'm curious too.

I went to a pain management dr. also, he told me to lay off the imitrex and toridal, he gave me oxycodone suppositorys, 5 mg. I only use as needed. They seem to be helping. I use very little imitrex lately. or toridal.

I also started a nasal spray with steroid in it, I am also getting relief from this too.
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:14 pm

I take long acting narcotics for my 24/7 headache. Feel free to message me with questions. I did very well at first (50%+ relief) but due to age (25) and my prior history taking short acting narcotics for the pain I quickly built tolerance. My doctor isn't willing to raise the dose any more and I can't find anyone in my area who is willing to see a headache patients on these types of doses and consider an increase (my area is very anti narcotics and they want to get you off the meds). I'm still better off on the meds than off as I get some hit or miss relief and little side effects, but its so frustrating how much better I was doing in the beginning. There is no reason to have a dose ceiling. There are no dangers to the body with pure opiates.

I think for those chronic headache patients who have tried most everything else its something to strongly consider. Doctor selection is key as you need a trusting relationship that they won't cut you off and will neither under or over treat you. Response to them can be hit or miss. If you have had success with short acting narcotics you will likely do well. They can cause a lot of side effects at first but they can go away with time. You will become physical dependent on them but very few become addicted. Those that do will likely have warning signs in their life such as other addictions. I can work, drive, etc, on my meds (never get high). If you feel impaired, you are likely overdosed. A good goal is 50% as that takes a good edge off the pain but minimizes tolerance and side effects. When trying a new med I always do so at home with hubby home just in case. Never had any problems though. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down