migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help with migrains

+2
dcook60
irene
6 posters

Go down

help with migrains Empty help with migrains

Post  irene Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:08 pm

hi, my name is dianna im 45 and tired of migrains

i have had all the tests, nothing wrong with my head, so the doc's says. i have a list of foods and food dies not to eat
i take REPLAX when i have a migrain comming on . just started daily meds 3 days ago . does anyone have their favorit meds that work well
foods that will cause your migrain. im missing something im getting migrains every other day, sometimes daily, they put me down all the way, bed- dark-ice-quiet- sometimes vomiting and a ride to the hosiptal twice in the past 30 days
they cause pain in my neck& shoulders also please any info would be helpfull

thank you

irene

Back to top Go down

help with migrains Empty Re: help with migrains

Post  dcook60 Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:18 pm

READ READ READ. that's the best advice i can give you. read on this forum as many hours as your head will allow, and you will probably gain more information that with any doctor's visit.

click on the titles that sound most interesting to you. there are years and years of archives, and the old messages are full of useful information.

i've been in the ER multiple times over many years, without much help with the awful pain. i've had to figure out myself, what my "triggers" are. mine are MANY, including the chemicals in food, smoke, stinky chemicals, perfume and etc.

see how i'm writing this? by hitting enter after every couple of sentences, it becomes possible for others with a bad head to read your posts.

as for drugs, there are 7 triptan drugs, which are the only drugs specifically designed for migraine. i take two of those, alternating. although they are all in the same class of drugs, they have slightly different actions on the brain. relpax did nothing at all for me.

most of us here have had every test known, and they show nothing amiss. we KNOW there's a big something amiss, but no researcher has yet come up with the final answer. not enough money is spent on researching this very common disease/disorder.

it is common for neck and shoulders to hurt along with your head, and pretty much the entire body! we understand how not-fun this all is. but you really must educate yourself. good fortune to you, in finding some clues for yourself in what preventive measures to try.

i am dianne, and i'm age 71
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:48 pm

Hi Irene. Different meds seem to work better for different people. Many of us have had negative side effects to so many of them. So just watch carefully as you try the various preventatives to see which will work for you and which have problems.

My current regime is 200 mg natural progesterone, 400 mg magnesium, 5000 mg vitamin D, 12.5 mg iodide, 20 mg amitriptyline. It brought me from 80% headache days to 20%, and most are less severe.

I had chronic daily migraines starting at age 45. I'm now 50.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Chucky Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:27 pm

Welcome Irene,

I use Relpax as well and usually find it effective (as long as I'm able to keep the pill down). I tried Imitrex and Zomig before this.

I'm also still trying to identify my patterns and triggers, the inconsistency makes it very complicated and frustrating! Sad

I have had occations as well where I have vomitted 12 times in five hours from the pain that I know I should go to the ER, but have always stayed back because here in Canada, you could be waiting hours to be seen.

Have you started a journal? Recording your acitivities and food etc may help find patterns of things to avoid.

-Christina, age 31 (migraines since late teens).

Chucky

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeneyes Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:59 am

Welcome to the migraine family..we understand your frustration..sorry, that we suffer with the same condition, but are comforted by the support of fellow migraneurs..

I agree..get as much information as you can..be your own doctor(meaning keep records..write in a migraine diary...read every book out there...talk to people who suffer from the same ailments..join a support group)

Just started reading a new migraine book called...OVERCOMING HEADACHES and MIGRAINES by Lisa Morrone (PT) so far it's true..only on page 76 though 193 total pages in all..also, she is a Christian which I like( please don't anyone be offended if you aren't spiritual) Read this book.

Feel better soon I love you
Greeneyes
Greeneyes

Back to top Go down

help with migrains Empty overcoming migrains

Post  irene Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:22 pm

Greeneyes wrote:Welcome to the migraine family..we understand your frustration..sorry, that we suffer with the same condition, but are comforted by the support of fellow migraneurs..

I agree..get as much information as you can..be your own doctor(meaning keep records..write in a migraine diary...read every book out there...talk to people who suffer from the same ailments..join a support group)

Just started reading a new migraine book called...OVERCOMING HEADACHES and MIGRAINES by Lisa Morrone (PT) so far it's true..only on page 76 though 193 total pages in all..also, she is a Christian which I like( please don't anyone be offended if you aren't spiritual) Read this book.

Feel better soon I love you

thank you i will read that book asap. i am looking for food triggers i just found out that peanut butter has been causeing me bad migrains, so for the past 5 days i have felt alot better. i passed that info on to my daughter who happened to have pbj's for lunch so she threw them away and had chicken, now she has had a better 3 days. we both ate pbj's alot as well as pb crackers. any other ideas would be great. thanks Very Happy

irene

Back to top Go down

Post  GSDtravels Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:51 pm

I discovered years ago that sleep pattern disruption was one of my major triggers. I never found a connection to foods, but certain alcohols would trigger them (good thing I'm not much of a drinker), mostly mild liqueurs. I know stress is a major factor, but most of it is unavoidable, so...
GSDtravels
GSDtravels

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum