migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neurontin/Gabapentin...

+3
Mini
Sara79
Batman55
7 posters

Go down

Neurontin/Gabapentin... Empty Neurontin/Gabapentin...

Post  Batman55 Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:28 pm

Has anyone tried this for headaches/migraines?

If so, did it help at all? And what side effects did you experience?

My neurologist said I'm supposed to take Depakote. After reading a lot about that drug, I have to be honest, I really don't want to take it. However I saw my psychiatrist recently and he gave me a number of options, he's willing to let me try almost any drug for my "24/7 head pressure." One of the options he presented was Neurontin (Gabapentin). It's another anticonvulsant but has--from my point of view--a more favorable side effect profile. On the other hand, apparently it is only used "off-label" for migraines/headaches, it's not even one of the official indications.

Anyone have some insight?

Batman55

Back to top Go down

Neurontin/Gabapentin... Empty Re: Neurontin/Gabapentin...

Post  Sara79 Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:15 pm

My neuro has me use it with Naproxin Sodium, aka Aleve, to help with the pain. From the research I've read, the combo makes each half more bioavailable, helping more with my migraine pain.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:25 am

I have been using Gabapentin as a migraine preventative for several years and it has considearbly reduced the severity of pain which is nothing as bad as it use to be.

But it is making me generally less alert and sleepy at times, which I suppose is the price worth paying. I take 1800 of Gabapenting a day.
This was initially increased, over several weeks, starting slowly from 300mg.

I have at times increased it to 2100, or 2400mg a day, when I felt I needed it, but nowaydays I keep it at 1800mg (taken 3 times a day) and this is sufficient.

I tried to reduce it further but it meant increase in migraines, so it stays at this level for some time.

Just make sure that you give it time, and take it step by step, be patient as you might not see much difference for few weeks. It is certainly worth trying. I wish you good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Last edited by Mini on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Neurontin/Gabapentin... Empty hi there:

Post  Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:27 pm

I take Gabapentin. 1200 daily. It does nothing for the migraines. No side effects other than some drowsiness which wears off quickly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cup of Coffee Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:25 pm

I previously took Neurontin, for other reasons, and it did absolutley nothing for my migraines. I take Topamax as a preventative, and it has saved my life.

Cup of Coffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Batman55 Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:34 pm

Topamax never worked for me. I'm hoping Neurontin might just be the ticket, if I choose to try it (I'm not very fast with these decisions.)

Batman55

Back to top Go down

Post  mattie Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:26 pm

I took Neurontin for several years for preventative at 3600 mgs daily, sometimes more if I had a bad migraine. I really believe it saved my life. The only side effects were drowsiness for the first week or so until you get the dose right for you. My dr had me start with 100 mg daily & gradually added more as my body adjusted. He told me if I got drowsy to get up & stay busy. I think it did effect my memory but so do migraines. I now only take Neurontin as needed & that's when I see the aura of a migraine starting.

mattie

Back to top Go down

Neurontin/Gabapentin... Empty gabapentin

Post  Penny Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:07 pm

]center]Gabapentin is a painreliever as well as a seizure med. As opposed to the medication Topamax which is a seizure med. I found Gabapentin extremely helpful for my migraines, at a low dose 600 mg. However, I only take Gabapentin now for incidents of migraines.

After suffering for 7 years with terrible migraines I discovered an article that spoke to the benefits of gingko for headaches and migraines. long story short - My doctor and I switch my regimen to include Gingko, oxygen therapy, and aspirin. I no longer need to take either the Topamax or Gabapentin daily.

As a person whose life revolved around my migraines, I'd love people to look intoGinkgo and check if they could themselves add it to their regimen.
[/center]

Penny

Back to top Go down

Neurontin/Gabapentin... Empty re: gingko

Post  Guest Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:34 am

I took gingko for awhile. It had no effect. However, I would like to know how much you take daily?? Perhaps I wasn't taking enough. Please let me know.

Back to top Go down

Neurontin/Gabapentin... Empty re gingko

Post  mattie Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:22 am

I tried gingko but it seem to trigger a migraine. Doesn't gingko dilate the blood vessels? I thought that may have been why it made mine worse.

mattie

Back to top Go down

Post  mamak Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:26 am

New to the forum, but hope you don't mind if I jump right in...

I was put on a VERY low dose of this for suspected fibromyalgia (100 mg) and had a constant headache for the 10 days I was on it...not a migraine (thank goodness!), but just non-stop pain. I'm also on 250mg of Topamax daily as a preventive, which I believe kept it from being a migraine.

Based on the replies of others, and I'm sure other threads have shown this as well, everyone reacts to medications differently so I say go ahead and try it as long as it's not going to Hirt financially.

mamak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down