migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre-Migraine rage/anger, suggestions

+3
Migrainegirl
Tamsha101
ahbi
7 posters

Go down

Pre-Migraine rage/anger, suggestions Empty Pre-Migraine rage/anger, suggestions

Post  ahbi Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:54 pm

Often (but not always) about 12-24 hours before I get a full-on aura migraine, I get filled with rage.
And it isn't rage that has a logical cause. It is rage over something I should never care about (ancient job interview, court ruling in a state I'll never live in, etc.).
Fortunately, I am never angry at anyone I know. However, I tend to be short or irritable and walk away from them.
But the rage is an all consuming murderous, ape-red-in-tooth-and-claw rage. Directed at nothing sane, really. Just whatever cause in a far away time or space my brain fixated on.
I have calmed down now, but ... a few hours ago I was out-of-my-mind furious.
In addition to the rage (or as a side effect of it) get all twitchy. I paced around the whole house, springing on my tip-toes and my hands and forearms shook because I am so wired and angry.
Further, it felt like the house was 110*F (43 C) but the thermostat says 72*F (22 C). For the first time this year I turned the AC on.
I mean it is a nice obvious warning sign. I can prepare tomorrow to just have an aura migraine.
It is also nice that the anger is so off the charts that I can recognize it as "not right" and isolate myself and warn others accordingly. But, it ain't fun or cathartic to have.
1) Anyone else have this prodrome condition?
2) Any suggestions on how to keep it under control or get rid of it?
Thanks

ahbi

Back to top Go down

Pre-Migraine rage/anger, suggestions Empty Re: Pre-Migraine rage/anger, suggestions

Post  Tamsha101 Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:33 am

Hi

I dont get angry but I get very irritable and full of anxiety. Are you on any type of anti-anxiety medication? I am on 10mg of Cipralex daily.

I find that if I exercise when I start feeling this way it helps - 30 minutes on the treadmill will usually calm me down, same with some basic yoga poses and deep breathing. My doctor also prescribed Ativan which I take only if absolutely necessary.

This disease is awful - I understand what you're going through. My migraines have transformed into daily which makes it all the more difficult.

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Pre-Migraine rage/anger, suggestions Empty Re: Pre-Migraine rage/anger, suggestions

Post  Tamsha101 Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:34 am

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I get "hot flashes" as a prodome or aura as well.

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:28 pm

I dont get angry, but I do occasionally end up in a very bad "hate the world" kind of mood for no apparent reason a few hours before the migraine hits. I believe this is due to a drop in seratonin in the brain which precedes the other migraine physiology.

Since it sounds like this anger is extreme, I recommend talking with your doctor about it. You don't want to end up with other sorts of problems as a fall out of the anger in addition to the migraines themselves.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  stephgood Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:29 pm

ha, yes I do! I try to control it, but I am very mad at the world. I think I am just so irritable and know a migraine is coming, that anything that might not usually bother me, just makes me so mad! I also feel like whatever I am mad about, for example hubby not taking out the trash, is a personal offront directed at me. Like 10x worse though...he didn't take the trash out to spite me and never does anything around here...etc and then it snowballs.

However, I do not have these rageful feelings, anger, impatience, or irritation when I am not going downhill. IF I take my medication, and I usually try to wait a bit on that, I generally feel a lot better in about 30min. Even if the pain isn't better, my anger seems to wear off. Strange that.
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  mattie Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:34 pm

I do that often. Neurontin is good for those symptoms, for me anyway. It seems to calm my brain more than Ativan or Valium probably because it's for seizures & migraines. I have a M so hope that made sense.

mattie

Back to top Go down

Post  jksympson Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:14 pm

YES!!!
I get this extreme, hateful anger that's nothing like me. I wanna take a ball bat and beat holes in the wall and throw things. And I know when I'm having it that I have absolutely no reason to be in this unbelievable RAGE! Evil or Very Mad
As soon as the anger subsides, I cry feel awful and then like a shotgun my head is KILLLLLLING me.

jksympson

Back to top Go down

Pre-Migraine rage/anger, suggestions Empty Totally relate!

Post  k8ate Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:12 pm

I am so so so so glad that I found your post, because it has made me feel a lot less crazy. i just had a terrible migraine on Thursday, and looking back all day Wed., I was irrationally angry. Enraged, at what???? So distressing. I did some research, and guess what? As women age, the crying reflex if replaced with anger, and in men, as they age, the anger reflex turns to crying!! All due to estrogen/testo. changes with advancing age!

I HATE feeling so angry, it is a painful feeling. And then to be followed by a migraine is just punishment!

k8ate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down