migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vitamins for migraine prevention

+5
dcook60
Migrainegirl
rileyoday
mxgo
dix12
9 posters

Go down

vitamins for migraine prevention Empty vitamins for migraine prevention

Post  dix12 Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:34 am

Has anyone tried B complex vitamins for migraine prevention? Just wondering... Im desperate!

dix12

Back to top Go down

vitamins for migraine prevention Empty Re: vitamins for migraine prevention

Post  mxgo Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:50 am

Did nothing fo me.

I also tried Petadolex, magnesium, Coenzyme Q10, and they also did not do much for me.

Has anybody tried feverfew? I've read the reviews for a feverfew product called Migrafew, and they are very positive. But, it seems that all these products get positive reviews until we, in the migraine forums, try them.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

vitamins for migraine prevention Empty Vitamin B

Post  rileyoday Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:24 am

I added different B vitamins and liked the results but after 90 days I dropped them and felt better. have not used then since.

I took small doses 50 or 100 mg. not considered large doses. I think magnesium is a trigger for me. Remember we are all different. You should try some. Feverfew did not help me but 5-HPT did help alot.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:32 pm

I took 400 mg b2 and 400 mg of magnesium for about 6 months with no effect. But then when I started taking bio-identical progesterone and vitamin D along with the magnesium I got a marked improvement. Cut my headache days from 80% to about 20%, which really makes a difference.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:24 pm

just adding a little note re: my vitamin/mineral/supplement experiences over the past 40 years or so.......

we are mostly pretty desperate folks, and have tried so many things they are uncountable. including me. back in the days when i used to believe in the "conspiracy theories" of medicine, wherein the drug manufacturers were in collusion to prevent REAL/NATURAL cures from coming onto the market, i fell for nearly every vitamin fix out there.

this, of course, is a very unwise idea, and now that i'm older, i've become smarter and able to use more critical thinking.

there are studies to back up the feverfew, petadolex, and magnesium treatments, but not much else that i'm aware of. the "natural progesterone folks" might have something there, and sometimes that works for a minority of women. didn't work at all for me; waste of money.

it's always a great thing when someone finds an alternative something that actually works for them. more power to ya! but be more discriminiative about it that i was, because supplements are NOT always benign, and for some can be quite dangerous, especially in the high doses about which one can read in "testimonials".

testimonials are worthless, of course, and i hope we all realize it's just snake oil in a different form. promising us everything, delivering very little or nothing.

the book i mentioned in another post "treat me, not my age" goes into all the reasons for our sometimes-futile quest to find our cure, and our willingness to fall for crazy stuff. but we must keep on keeping on, right? dianne

FORGOT TO SAY, "HAPPY JULY 4TH TO ALL USA PEOPLE".

dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  Chucky Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:55 pm

I started taking Magnesium last Christmas and then Coenzyme Q10 and found a very *slight* decrease in migraines with the Magnesium.

I just started taking Vitamin B(s) about a week ago....

Chucky

Back to top Go down

Post  Matilda Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:12 am

My sister and I both find that Vitamin B only makes it worse.

I have also tried Co-enzyme Q10 & Magnesium with no improvement.

Matilda

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:05 am

I believe the that Petadolex has helped me. I have seen a decrease in frequency while taking it.

I believe 5HTP helps me as well, but from the angle that it helps with my sleep and relaxation, which again helps decrease freqquency.

The problem is that I find I have the same issue as I do with actual medications, after a prolonged amount of time they start to lose effectiveness. So I am trying to figure out a schedule to 'cycle'.

There are a few huge issues with supplements though:

- Everyone is different as pointed out earlier in the thread. You not only have to find what works for you, but what quantities

- A lot of people don't give the supplements time to work. In the case of 5HTP, I saw pretty immediate results when it came to improvements in my sleeping. But in the case of something like Petadolex, it took me 3-4 months to start to see results and 6 months before I could really gauge effectiveness. This goes back to point 1, that everyone is different. But, I see a lot of people who aren't patient. And that is understandable considering costs, and the fact that they are in pain. But in my experience a lot of treatments take time to work no matter what you are treating.

- The lack of research issue was also pointed out. I have no doubt some of these supplements can benefit migraine sufferers personally. But there is very little research when it comes to what doses can help. The studies on something like Petadolex were geared towards migraines, so the recommended dose is at least geared towards that. But with things like Magnesium or B vitamins, who knows that an optimal dose is for migraines?

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  lrobb98 Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:53 pm

Riboflavin, B2, occasionally helps, as does Magnesium..I think Petadolex is the most effective herb for prevention..Larry Robbins,M.D. http://www.headachedrugs.com

lrobb98

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down