migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oxygen deprivation part of the problem

2 posters

Go down

Oxygen deprivation part of the problem  Empty Oxygen deprivation part of the problem

Post  Migrainegirl Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:07 pm

Check out this study posted by Risa on the other discussion forum.

""Migraine Headaches May Cause Brain Damage, Mouse Study Shows""

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070430102025.htm

The team uncovered a complex, unexpected tale of supply and demand regarding blood flow and oxygen.

In short, the team found that the brain develops a voracious demand for energy as the organ attempts to restore the delicate chemical balance that is lost in the initial throes of a phenomenon known as cortical spreading depression, which is thought to underlie many migraines.

Even though the brain's arteries expand dramatically and make a great deal more oxygen-rich blood available to meet the demand for energy, some parts of the brain still wind up experiencing severe oxygen shortage, or hypoxia. This causes parts of brain cells' sophisticated signaling structures to disintegrate, similar to what occurs when a person has a mini-stroke, or after a severe injury, or when blood flow to the brain is completely stopped, such as during a heart attack.

"In mice, the damage from these episodes looks exactly like the damage that occurs to the brain from repeated TIAs, or transient ischemic attacks," said Takano. "It's long been known that patients having a migraine attack are functionally impaired from the pain. It's also been shown recently that with repeated migraines, a person's cognitive abilities decrease. But actually doing damage to the brain -- that is a surprise."

...a few studies have found that people who get auras with their migraines are at increased risk for vascular problems like heart attack and stroke

A very interesting study that ties brain overactivity to the chemical issues to the vascular theory. I think this explains a lot of the data. I plan to try hits of oxygen to see if that will prevent an impending migraine
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Oxygen deprivation part of the problem  Empty Re: Oxygen deprivation part of the problem

Post  Paradox Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:32 pm

I have a oxygen condenser here at home. I slept with it on. It didn't make any difference as to whether I woke up with a headache or not.

I quit using it the second time the tubing got tangled and I woke up in a panic feeling like I was suffocating. I felt that way cause I was! Shocked

But, we're all different so it is certainly worth a try.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down