migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Triptans and antidepressants

+2
xmom
Tamsha101
6 posters

Go down

Triptans and antidepressants Empty Triptans and antidepressants

Post  Tamsha101 Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:47 pm

I am reading the book the "Migraine Brain" and it says that anyone who is on antidepressants should not use triptans due to the chance of seratonin syndrome. So what do people like me on cymbalta use as an abortive med? Is there anything?

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Triptans and antidepressants Empty Re: Triptans and antidepressants

Post  xmom Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:29 am

I am on Cymbalta and also regularly take triptans. Neither my doctor or pharmacist has ever said I *can't* do this. Serotonin syndrome is a risk, just like any other drug risks, but it is a small risk. You just have to be aware of the symptoms so you know what to look for. I don't know how I'd live a normal life without my triptans.

xmom

Back to top Go down

Triptans and antidepressants Empty triptans and cymbalta

Post  rileyoday Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:14 pm

I took both. My neuro was aware of my large triptan use. Everyone is different. watch for the symptons.

While I was typing the excederin migraine girl came on TV. starts working in 1/2 hr, and neuro recomended.!!

But seriously I was not helped by cymbalta. hope it works for you.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  somebodyhealme Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:33 pm

I take Celexa and Imitrex and Zomig and have never had problems. IMO serotonin syndrome is something to be cognizant of, but very, very rare.
somebodyhealme
somebodyhealme

http://somebodyhealme.dianalee.net

Back to top Go down

Post  robinlbe Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:18 pm

I'm glad to see this topic on here, as I have been searching for this and researching this....

I am so tired of these headaches, and have been fighting them for nearly 40 years. I currently am taking topomax for prevention's sake....it keeps me from the aura migraines, but not the daily ones. I have only fioricet to take for the bad headaches. Lately, the headaches have been much worse and more frequent. One day, I ended up with a total of 8 fioricet (and sudafed and ibuprofen)..I would get a little relief, but as soon as everything wore off, I was miserable.

When I was in to my doctor last week, I asked her if there was something she could give me for the really bad ones.....she said that she couldn't, because I'm on Lexapro, and there would be a risk of seizures, and she just couldn't take that chance. She then ordered a CT scan (which turned out fine)....

So, I'm wondering - and I"m reading....that some of you don't seem to have any problems....

(in my past, I've been in midrin, have done biofeedback, been on inderol, valium, allergy meds, have gone to the chiropractor, and more....these started when I was 12, in 7th grade....with an aura, as I was sitting in science class....the clock suddendly didn't have some of its numbers...and there were things missing on my pages...then the headache hit...yep, good and classic.)

thanks in advance for ANYTHING you can share...

robinlbe

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:43 am

Hi Robin, you ask a good question that most of us graple with. Many of us have had a lot of side effects from preventatives. Glad the to Topomax is working for you. For the really bad ones I still use oxycodone 5 mg which is a low dosage. That seems to take the edge off, but it is certainly still there. The triptans don't seem to do anything for pain. A number of people end up going to the ER for a torodol injection, or something else.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsha101 Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:51 am

I am still confused about this whole issue. I take 30 mg of Cymbalta and 15mg of Nori. I dont take any abortives and I havent really discussed it with my doctor but have been meaning to. Can I take any abortives ie. maxalt with the drugs I'm on now? Any risk of seratonin overload?

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down