migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you keep from going crazy???

+3
sailingmuffin
Jewishmother
Tamsha101
7 posters

Go down

How do you keep from going crazy??? Empty How do you keep from going crazy???

Post  Tamsha101 Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:57 pm

I have been suffering with chronic daily migraine that includes vertigo since November. While my symptoms seem to be improving little by litte, I am going nuts! I had to go on disability from work because I couldnt control the headaches. I am not sleeping at night which is triggering my headaches. I've been trying EVERYTHING from a holisitic approach to Topamax (couldnt take it) and now on Cymbalta. I also have ativan and a sleeping pill but I hate to use them too often. I am tired of being housebound and not being able to make plans.

I am SO frustrated! I feel like I am losing my mind. I miss my job, my friends, MY LIFE! I just want it back!! I keep telling myself that there are worse people off than me, I'm not terminal and certainly things will get better but it doesnt seem to help.

AARRGGG!!!!

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

How do you keep from going crazy??? Empty Re: How do you keep from going crazy???

Post  Jewishmother Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:09 pm

I understand how frustrating it is that we have to give up parts of who we are in order to deal with our migraines. However, who we are is not our jobs..........we are so much more than that. What do you like to do? What brings you joy? Is there a new hobby you have always wanted to try and could never find the time - now might be a good time to try something new. And even though we may have to cancel plans it is a good idea to keep trying to get out and do what makes us happy. Even if it is only for a little while it is good to get out and breathe the "fresh air" of the outside world. Can your friends come to you? Can you skype with them? Sometimes we only have the energy and concentration to take little steps and do a few things so please choose to do those things that bring you joy. Take care and stay in touch. Leslie
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

How do you keep from going crazy??? Empty Re: How do you keep from going crazy???

Post  sailingmuffin Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:30 am

Hi,

Yes, migraines can certainly isolate you and make you feel like you are going crazy.

I have had chronic intractable migraine for thirteen years now. I also have a fainting disorder- which I find more isolating than migraines.

Anyway, first of all, if you can't sleep due to migraines, take your meds to sleep. A good night's sleep often helps me and I have been on something to sleep for years. Zanaflex is a preventative that also helps with sleep. Just a thought. I know you don't want to take them too often, but not taking them may be contributing. I don't know.

Also, as to work- don't worry about it right now. Is there anyway your friends could pick you up for lunch or something? That is one way to stay connected. Maybe shorter hours would help. But as the previous poster said- you are not your job.

also, we are here is you need us.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsha101 Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks for your kind words. I'm trying to keep myself busy doing something each day or planning some sort of "outing" but it seems like every morning I wake up and I think blah, another day with no purpose. This Cymbalta thing isnt helping either. The nausea and grogginess is awful - it's only been day 4 so I'm hoping they eventually go away. I keep telling myself that in time I'll find the right combo of meds and things will get better but it's SO hard!

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Post  stephgood Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:15 pm

Well here is what I am thinking...I spent over 3 years staring at the walls in my house. I had no purpose and no schedule. Both of which will cause depression. I take Melatonin to sleep. It really helps and I need a very tiny dose. You need to sleep. If you are not sleeping regularly it will make the headaches worse. In order to get out of my funk, I had to do something, I got up everyday, took a shower and got dressed, not in PJ's but in real clothes. That was a start. Eventually I move on to taking walks, weather permitting, and forcing myself to do a little something every day. I found a purpose. We all have something we can contribute in life. Maybe it is as little as visiting a nursing home, or reading a story to children at the library. Taking care of a pet, anything, but it does serve a purpose.

One thing I have learned through the years is that with good friends, time is of no consequence. I can go months without seeing or talking to my real colse friends and we pick up just like we talked yesterday. At this point we are all scattered all over this country, as well as other countries, so it is really nice. Having this arrangement make actually getting together so much better too! Good Luck
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:54 pm

I know it is frustrating. Good advice above. Just keep trying the meds. If cymbalta does not work, move on to the next one. Natural supplements like magnesium, iodide, B2 and progesterone finally did it for me. The important thing is not to give up.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

How do you keep from going crazy??? Empty re: how do you keep from going crazy....

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:18 pm

you do not

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:08 pm

If I have my meds (and they are working) I usually retreat to my studio and relax by either playing or listening to music. BUT...

If I'm having a major episode where the meds are barely working, I need solitude. I also have to keep depressing from creeping in as I've had some serious problems (in the past) with it. I don't have a support system to fall back on so for the most part I'm on my own. I keep focused on how my kids need me and that usually allows me to stay grounded. Without them well... I don't know.

Suspect
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeneyes Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:54 am

So sorry that you are suffeing..we understand what you are experiencing and it is awful...coming on the migraine board and talking with people who get migraines can help a lot. I call my best friend..spend time with my boys(even if I do have to ask them not to be so loud)..pray..watch something that's funny..and do things slowly (having to take breaks)..and when all else fails eat chocolate (okay,not a good idea if this is a trigger for you..I'm just a chocoholic..it's in our blood).

Hoping that you feel better soon I love you
Greeneyes
Greeneyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down