migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My favorite teacher died

+3
Mini
dawn.binks
Paradox
7 posters

Go down

My favorite teacher died Empty My favorite teacher died

Post  Paradox Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:01 pm

I hope we all had a teacher like Mrs. D. The woman who believed in me when no one else did. I was a wild child. At home there was a lot of drinking and fighting. Partying to me was normal.

I was suspended from school in 7th grade for having alcohol in my locker. Most of my teachers shunned me and treated as me a "less than". I was told that I had let down the school (I had been a cheerleader) and I was written off. Except by Mrs. D. She had been my 5th grade teacher and somehow she knew what was going on at home.

After I got in trouble she asked that I be sent over to the elementary school a couple times a week to "help" her. I mimeographed copies for her, helped her grade papers, she made me feel valuable when all I felt and was being told was that I was worthless.

I Can still hear the click of her high heels and song of her bangle bracelets as she walked down the hall. I was so jealous of her daughter...I wanted Mrs. D to be my Mom.

Last year I sent her a letter telling her that I turned out well, a professional woman with a advanced degree, a loving family and a job that I love....and that she had a big part in making that happen. I'm glad I got to let her know. Her daughter said she was very touched.

I miss so much work because of health, but I think I may take the day off Friday so I can pay my respects. It will be a ton of driving but she meant so much to me.

How lucky I was to have this wonderful woman in my life.

Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

My favorite teacher died Empty teacher

Post  dawn.binks Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:42 am

what a shame! you celebrate her life and all that she did for you! im sure you will bring a lot of joy to the family by sharing with them!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

My favorite teacher died Empty Re: My favorite teacher died

Post  Mini Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:39 am

Yes, I do remember having a teacher I've greatly admired, she was extremely elegant, immaculately dressed and very approachable. She wass married to a wealthyh man, so she did not no need to teach, but she loved it, and this was obvious in her teaching.

WE all adored leson with her, she talked to us as we were all equal (which was not a usual thing to do, as teachers had great authority and were generally scared of them).

She often joked and went totally off the subject, but she was a great teacher all the same. She was enthusiastic and inspiring. In fact I have followed her subject on to university, as I "wanted to know more". I knwo she was very pleased about that.

At one time she even lent me a pair of high heeled shoes and a beautiful scarf, for a school play where I was to be a "sophistcated" woman. All my friends were green with envy, but I almost killed myself walking in them - (feeling very much like Jack Lemmon in Some Like it Hot).

She was wonderful we all adored her - there were even whisperings that she had an affair with one of the older boys... We did not belive it, of course (but now I wonder...).
Sadly, soon after I left the area to go to University, and from what I knew she left teaching soon after. So I would not know how to get hold of her, and now she is probably long gone as well.But you reminded me of her.

I think it is so important to let people know how much we appreciate them, before they are gone. I do that with some of my older relatives, try to keep in touch etc.
I am sure your teacher was thrilled to learn how much she was of help to you, and pleased for you. Little things can make such a big difference sometimes - fFor good, and for bad.
The same goes for parents BTW.

I hope you are well enough to be able to say Good By to her. Her family will be evry pleased, it will mean a lot to them.

Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:27 pm

So sorry for your loss. I was very touched by your post. I hope you are able to make the trip, as it will be worth it in so many ways.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:27 pm

My mom and my grampa were teachers. I know how special this profession is firsthand.
They received a lot of special "thank you" from various students throughout their career.
I know my mom did, as my grandpa died when I was very young and about him I know from family stories.

Thank you for writing those beautiful words about your teacher, Charlotte and I am so sorry for your loss.

Your teacher sure was one of those rare few who went into this profession deep from the heart, and had a great intuition not mere training for the job.
I am deeply grateful she could see how beautiful person you always was, Charlotte when no other (stupid) teacher did
and also glad you let her know that before she has passed away.
Hugs, sweetheart.

Risa

CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi,

I am sure your teacher was glad to recieve your letter and I am glad yu got a chance to tell her what she meant to you. My grandmother and all her sisters were teachers and even years later, people came up to her and told her that she had made a difference in their lives. She retired, but I don't think she ever stopped teaching. She taught me so much-poems, reading, all kinds of things and I remember them all.

I think you should take the day off and pay your respects.

One teacher can be the difference between a student liking school and a student hating it.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:38 pm

Oh Charolette,

You post gave me goosebumps and tears. I have worked in the Special Ed field for students with Emotional/Behavioral struggles for almost 15 years now and I could not imagine any other kind of work. It is always so amazing to be reminded how what we do, even the small stuff, does matter very much to the young souls who need to feel important and loved. Sometimes former students contact me and say thanks and share their story of success, it is what keeps me going, so I bet your teacher was warmed by your thoughtfulness in sending her a letter. Smile

Sorry to hear of her passing, but glad to know you were touched by an angel and had the chance to show her the amazing woman you have become.

Huggs

Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down