migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exercise advice?

+9
Migrainegirl
CluelessKitty
Mini
Enigma
Paradox
Ivy
Johnfd
dawn.binks
MaryAnneLive
13 posters

Go down

Exercise advice? Empty Exercise advice?

Post  MaryAnneLive Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Hey all. So I really want to exercise. I really do. How do you do it? How do you fit it in on days (most of them) when you just try to make it to the end of the day with everyone alive, fed and clothed in things that aren't too dirty. And what do you do that doesn't cause a migraine? I can't get my heart rate up too hight... kills me every time. I have a beta blocker that helps some with that. I can't bend over with my head upside down. Nope. I can't jump.

What do you do? When do you do it? What are your favorites? What do you know is a bad idea?

Thank you all.

Mary Anne
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

Exercise advice? Empty excercise

Post  dawn.binks Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:51 am

walking or gentle swimming is good just start slowly and build up. good luck. you have the determination and thats what it takes to do it. all those endorphines flowing will make you feel even better and i think you should flag this up for all migraine sufferers because even the smallest amount of excercise done will help everyone however disabled we are by migraines. well done. flower
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Exercise advice? Empty Re: Exercise advice?

Post  Johnfd Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:23 am

My advice is to start gently and don't rush into anything.

I'm trying to get back out walking although the weather here has been horrible. I used to go for a short walk everyday. Like you I can't do anything that gets the blood really pumping and try to keep to the flat. Luckily there is a good beach here and a path on a disused railway line which fit the bill.

Some days I can't bend down to get things out of cupboards so I avoid doing exercises as such. I manage to do some stretches I was taught by a physiotherapist and this is helpful. If I don't my shoulders and neck will seize up. There was a time I couldn't look over my shoulder. I have to be careful as I have become so unfit that I easily strain muscles and have a stiff neck at the moment despite the stretches.

I can't go to the swimming pool because of the chlorine smell.

Johnfd
Johnfd

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:37 am

Running has been my favorite exercise for 10 years now.
I can't live without it.

When I'm obliged to long periods of stop, my migraine worsen.

When I cannot regularly exercise, I try at least to walk every day 20/30 minutes. Doctors say that for the health this is the best exercise, better than jogging or running, especially for people who cannot make efforts.

I love to walk in the nature among trees and far from traffic roads. The oxygenation makes me feel better and when I feel better in general, migraine also improves.

Ciao
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:11 am

I walk. I'm sur I look silly late at night bundled up in two coats with my walking stick over my shoulder so I can whack any deer that I might startle. I try to sing so as to not startle them.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Enigma Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:28 pm

dawn.binks wrote:walking or gentle swimming is good just start slowly and build up. good luck. you have the determination and thats what it takes to do it. all those endorphines flowing will make you feel even better and i think you should flag this up for all migraine sufferers because even the smallest amount of excercise done will help everyone however disabled we are by migraines. well done. flower

deserves repeating

Deep breathing that fresh air in your lungs. Cool air on your head. Releasing stress from around you. Perfect.
Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Exercise...Hm...I just wonder why you feel the need to excercise? What is your motivation, why are you thinking about it right now.

I think stressing or worrying about it is bad for you - so unless you really like exercisisng why bother.

Some people like to exercise, and this is fine.
Some people don't, but they do it because they are persuaded, or told that they must (for whatever reason) so they exercise but completely without any enthusiasm, this is waste of time.
Some people hate exercise so they never do it, and this is fine as well.

I honestly think exercising (provided you lead otherwise healthy lifestyle) is grossly over-rated.
A balanced diet, eliminating stress as much as possible, and plenty of sleep are far more important.

Just do what feels good for you and only exercise, if exercise gives you pleasure, otherwise there is no point. I am sure that you exercise much more then you think, during your average day already.

Whenever I feel the need to excercise, I put on good music and dance wildly, until the need passes away.
I am also running up and down my stairs, all day long for variety of reasons - this is my ow home gym - also do gardening, I do ironing (a lot) and other jobs, so I get enough exercise on an average day to feel quite exhausted by the time evening comes and the proof is, that I sleep well.

If you wish to exercise to loose weight this never seems to work as well as people think, unless you seriously cut down on your food intake as well.

But if you want to do it because you love it - great - do it, and make sure that nothing stops you.

Last edited by Mini on Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:54 pm

I tried it, even signed up with my daughter at the gym - lasted all of it fully, seriously, honestly maybe two weeks lolol
and gave up.

If you have a treadmill or elliptical at home you can always exercise as much as feel up to.
Otherwise walking is an excellent idea. Or swimming, if chlorine doesn't bother you.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:25 am

Risa,
I HATE gyms.
The dry and dirty air, the lights, the loud music.....all contributes to trigger migraine.
A walk outdoor is much better Smile
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:00 am

The gym I went to was very nice - no loud music, just medium to low
and you could wear your own headphones anyway,
and the air for some reason wasn't dry nor stinky. even the lights weren't very bright.
It was called She's Fit:
http://www.shesfit.com/
I was the Surrey location
http://www.shesfit.com/facility_photos.html

it looks like in the pictures- at least in the beginning.

Perhaps all due to the fact it was a brand new location, I dunno.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:46 pm

I started up with some yoga because I was just so out of shape and could not do anything strenuous. I think it really helped to get me going again. I just had to be careful of stretches involving too much neck extension as that will cause problems for me. It really helped my frame of mind to at least get started on physical exercise again after a very bad summer of being bedridden. Walking is also great, weather permitting.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  lissy Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:37 am

I was just mentioning on another topic I do Body Balance classes. They are a combo of Pilates, Yoga & Tai Chi. I find them really helpful in releasing the pain in my head. The classes are quite gentle but you do get a gentle workout. Lots of stretching and at the end there's 10min meditation which is great. I do these classes 2-3 times a week and it just helps loosen things up a bit. I enjoy walking too - its so nice to get out in the fresh air but lately its been too hot to go outside so I just stick to the classes. Hope you find something you enjoy!
lissy
lissy

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:15 pm

I'm totally for walking and swimming. I walk indoors at the shopping mall early in the morning before the stores open. The mall opens for this reason---to let walkers in early to walk. It's warm in the winter and it's cool in the summer, and it is quiet since no one is really there so early.

I swim in the summer before it gets to warm, with my sunglasses on for sure. I love the way the water soothes my head.

You can walk and swim at your own pace.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryAnneLive Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Thank you all so much for replying. I think what I need to do is not save the exercise for late in the day. By then I am out of gas and in more pain than I was mid morning. Early mornings I have lots of energy.. but rotten pain levels. Perhaps while my daughter is in preschool in the am Tuesday and Thursday I will go to the swimming pool or a yoga class. I love walking and easy hiking outdoors, but right now it is snowing like mad! I took a long walk the day before yesterday... but it doesn't look like much fun today!

You guys are going to laugh. But one of the reasons I want to exercise is too look better in a bathing suit Smile I finally lost all the weight I gained while on Depakote.. well over half of it anyway. But I am feeling weak and flabby. I want to be strong again. I want my core muscles to hold me up straight instead of this humped over posture I have now. I live in a town FULL of STRONG, HEALTHY people. I'd love to be like that again. Also, we are going to the beach this summer

Do any of u use beta blockers when you exercise? I know it is an unusual usage, but I find it helps me keep my heart rate from skyrocketing and causing the awful, blinding, pounding head pain I usually get.

Those of you who do yoga. Do you go to a class or use a video? Or both? Do you have a favorite yoga style? Do you have a favorite tape?

Thanks so much for your input. I am grateful for your ideas, your experiences and your support.

Mary Anne
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:04 pm

I started doing a yoga class, which was helpful because I did not know what I was doing. Only problem was they tended to have loud music sometimes which could be a problem for me. But it was a Korean energy yoga style which was nice for getting in shape.

I think once you know the basics, switching to a video at home would work fine too. The main thing is finding what works for your lifestyle and circumstances so that you will actually go out and do it. (I daresay that is true of most exercise as well.)
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Exercise advice? Empty Exercise

Post  dizzyflower Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:09 am

If bending my head forwards starts to set off migraines more I increase the Cawthorne Cooksy exercises given me by physio. If I do them first I can get away with more exertion.

However I find too that too much fast heart rate stuff is a trigger, so I walk a lot. On a really bad day I use an ecercise bike that you can sit on the sofa to use. I sit cycling away in dark glasses with a blanket round me. usually with my dressing gown on top of my clothes. Fantastic picture to behold!

I actually like walking in the snow beacause there are less smells to set me off. But then I have thermals under my jeans and waterproof trousers. My walking boots are a size larger to fit extra fleece linings in too.

My balance goes with my migraines so I can't stray too far for exercise. I manage at least 3 hour long walks a week plus the exercise bike at the moment.

A bit of Pilates video seems to help too.

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Walking is the only thing I can do. I can't even do that much when I have a migraine. Any movement just makes it worse.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryAnneLive Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:27 am

Thanks all!
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down