migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insurance disappointmenti

3 posters

Go down

Insurance disappointmenti Empty Insurance disappointmenti

Post  Paradox Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:21 am

My husband has insurance coverage for the whole family at no charge through his work. We are very fortunate. I was over the moon when the law said that Robert could be covered until he is 26. 4more years of really good insurance.

Then I got the letter from hubbies work. It said that yes, the insurance is mandated and that he will be covered, but no where in the law does it say that the employer has to provide it. So as of March 1 we have pay 100%.

I can't afford him on my policy at work. It would be $900 a month. I have a feeling hubbies price will be similar.

I know we are lucky that we had it this long, I just wasn't expecting this after being so happy about the new law. In fact it was the basis of the law that I allowed Robert to leave school. He was entitled to stay in school one more year and would have been covered while he was in school, but Robert hated school.

Dang.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Insurance disappointmenti Empty Re: Insurance disappointmenti

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:17 am

Char, our state reimburses us for Anna's share of our private insurance premium. It is cheaper for them to pay this rather than have Anna NOT be on private insurance and Medicaid paying 100% of her medical bills. It is called "cost effective health insurance." Why don't you call human services in your county to see if IL has something like this.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks Cheryl, I had forgotten you told me that. Thanks for the reminder.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:00 pm

In Anna's case, it is cost effective because she has so many medical bills (those brain/spine surgeries add up). Robert probably doesn't have so much. But I just thought I'd mention it to you.

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:23 pm

I thought someone in Robert' positionn would be covered under Medicaid as Disabled person.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:50 pm

The problem with Medicaid is there are a lot of doctors who won't take Medicaid patients. And you can only see doctors in your state. Having private insurance gives a patient more options.

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:57 pm

He is Leslie, but I've been told two different things by Social Security. First I was told that he needed to be receiving benefits for two years before he would qualify for Medicaid. Then I was told it didn't matter, he does qualify.

He has only received benefits for one year, so hopefully it's the latter.

He has very good insurance now and after much trial and error he does very well with his autism and A.D.D. on Concerta ER. I fear ( and I may be wrong, hopefully I am) that Medicaid will want him on a cheaper med which doesn't work nearly as well for his agitation. I'm also afraid we'll have to switch Drs. I know we will dentists and it's hard to find dentists that take medicaid.

Plus, I think we all dislike dealing with Social Security and the hoops and waits.

Cheryl, Robert has very few medical bills, only his Concerta and a Dr visit every year ( shhhh....I don't know why his Dr doesn't make him come in every month like he's supposed to, but I'm not gonna argue it).

Hubby is very depressed about this. He doesn't like his job, never has but he does it to support his family and for the insurance. Robert is the only person this policy effects. Hubby said this morning "They always say how much they love and care about Robert, I guess this shows what they really think". He's taking it very personally. I understand they are setting precedent and policy, but hubby is still too upset to see it that way. Maybe in a couple days.

I came home from work and Robert is sitting on the couch and hubby is laying down with a pillow and his head on Roberts leg. Robert has his arm resting on hubbies shoulder. I've never seen them do this before and think that hubby just needed to be as close to Robert as possible.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:11 pm

I'm sorry, Char. It is hurtful, I'm sure.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum