migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Photographs

+2
lesherb
Anna's Mom
6 posters

Go down

Photographs Empty Photographs

Post  Anna's Mom Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:34 am

Our beloved Grandma Ruth (my husband's mother) passed away last week from a first time devastating stroke. The stroke happened on Christmas night. One minutes she was sitting with a group of ladies at her nursing home, talking, and totally fine. The next minute she was slumped over, totally unresponsive. We pretty much knew that night she wasn't coming back to us. She died four days later (92 years old), and we will greatly miss her. She was a wonderful person--greatly loved by many.

She never much organized her photos. I have boxes of them now. Hundreds of photos. Small vintage photos from the early 1900's. WW II years. Kodac Instamatic photos. Many 3/12 X 5 inch photos. And photos from recent years.

I think I want to put them in more old fashioned scrapbook type albums. The early photos are different sizes. The middle years more standard shape. All so interesting!

I haven't done anything with my photos since Anna got sick eleven years ago. They are sitting in boxes. I haven't had the heart--life has been too hard and sad. So I am not up-to-date with how people even do photo album photos anymore.

I can't spend tons of money on organizing my MIL's photos. There are too many of them. I would like some practical and not too terribly costly way of putting them in albums. I remember how people used to mount photos in black paper albums with the little corner thingys. I'm not too terribly keen on the idea of using double stick tape. But I don't really know what to do or where to buy what I need. I am an online shopper, if you have any ideas for me.

Thanks!

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Photographs Empty Re: Photographs

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:21 pm

very intereting cheryl.

i know there are some programs out there that can make a digital photo album--you can scan your pics in. My dad did a huge project with tons and tons of photos. I'll have to ask him what he used. LOL, he also "removed" some people from the pictures.

i missed out on some of the photos from my grandmother. my cousin looted all the "good" photos when she died, and i got what she didn't want.

maybe if you get a chance, you can get a photo project together. part archeology.

take care!

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:50 pm

I think Marc is onto something. Scan the pictures you want to keep and put them on CDs. In fact, you can probably get someone (professional) to do it for you.

Then just select a special few to put in a photo album.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:52 pm

Creative Memories.com has been rather the fore front of scrap booking. You can get very fancy (and $$) or keep it very simple. What is nice is that the albums and sleeves are all acid free. I hate how all my photos from the 70s are discolored because of the sticky albums we used to use.

I'm sure there are now similiar products to the creative memories only cheaper.

They have you start out by organizing the pics. If you can attend a Creative Memories "Crop a thon" ( that's what they call it in my area) they are very helpful in helping you organize so that you can even start. Plus they have acid free pencils and markers for journaling. I don't get pics in albums but I have put dates and names on the back. It's so frustrating to have boxes of pics from my Mom and Dad and I have no idea who the folks are or when they were taken.

Good luck!
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:04 pm

I don't have any ideas when it comes to photos etc., but wanted to offer my sympathy on the passing of your Grandma Ruth.

From another Grandma Ruth.

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:46 pm

Dear Cheryl - I am so very sorry for your loss. Grandam Ruth sounds wonderful. IT is difficult to say goodby to someone so dear, but she will live in your happy memories and so will be with you forever.

Lats year I have lost my beloved Aunt (the same age) and I still miss her vitality and sense of humour, which she kept almost to the very end. To me she was always young, since she had such young personality and this is why she hardly ever changed. I miss her so much - she was always there, always cheerful no matter what.

I treasure such memories, so you are definitely doing a wonderful thing in trying to preserve all her photos. I cannot help with any advice, I am sorry, but I am myself gatherer of old family photographs but I keep mine in boxes, with decription at the back of the picture. I find them fascinating and by looking at them discover new things all the time.

Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:58 pm

Thank you for the kind words. My MIL was a retired Major in The Salvation Army, and she lived a wonderful life Smile

She was THE Salvation Army Doughnut Girl in the U.S. during WWII. We have several publicity photos of her serving coffee and doughnuts to soldiers and to the Mayor of NYC.

I just love looking at her photos. I want to preserve them nicely.

Thanks!

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:15 pm

She sounds like a wonderful person not only to her family but to absolutely everyone!

My deepest condolences on passing of your Grandma Ruth, Cheryl. I am so sorry.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum