migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good book I thought would only interst the guys

+4
Mini
lentils
Ruth
kimsmom
8 posters

Go down

Good book I thought would only interst the guys Empty Good book I thought would only interst the guys

Post  kimsmom Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:51 pm

my house has been very chaotic since my mother has been living with us part time. I am/was so mentally strained that I just picked up the only book I saw laying around.

The name of the book was Hornet Flight by Ken Follett. It was a very good book. I have read other books by Ken Follett so when I picked it up I thought well what the heck I will read it. I thought of CRT and I bet you have read it. If not give it a try.

Has anyone else read any good books during the holidays that they would like to share? I am not reading House Rules about an Aspergers boy. So far it is a good read.

Anyone read Hornet Flight?

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom

Back to top Go down

Good book I thought would only interst the guys Empty Re: Good book I thought would only interst the guys

Post  Ruth Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:56 am

Hi Pam,

My son and DIL gave me a book by Mary Beth Chapman, she's married to Steve Chapman, the Christian singer who wrote and sang 'I will be here' (a favourite at many weddings). I haven't read much yet but am really enjoying it so far. Some may know that they adopted three little girls from China, and tragically one of them was killed at a young age by the Chapman's son, it was a terrible accident, he ran over her in their driveway I believe (haven't got to the details yet) while parking his vehicle.

I'm not a fan of reading fiction, so I rarely do, I like books based on fact. I also have to limit how much I read thanks to my dry eyes!

Hope you and your family are doing well Pam and that you had a nice Christmas. How is the new puppy doing?

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Good book I thought would only interst the guys Empty books

Post  lentils Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:51 am

"A Round Heeled Woman" by Jane Juska. I'm not sure if I liked it, but it was interesting and worthwhile taking the time to read it. Now I'm reading "Small Island" by Andrea Levy and it is pretty good.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Good book I thought would only interst the guys Empty For Aussies here (but not only)

Post  Mini Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:23 am

Some time ago I have read a most magical book called simply "Eucalyptus", which was written by an Australian author.
It was about a man who bought some land and then to his surprise he became utterly obsessed with collecting all knows species of eucalyptus. It was absolutely charming book, something of a modern fairy tale, and I would lave to re-read it som time.

I forgotten the author's name, but since reading it I have developed a great interest in this incredible plant - there are thousands of varieties of eucalyptus. I would have never guessed.

I like books which are different, books that surprise me. This was certainly one of them and so was another which I have recently finished.

This was a book by Kazia Myers which is called "Stolen Years" and it is about wartime in central Europe, as well as wonderful love story portrayed through the eyes of a 17year old girl who was dragged by force from her family by Gestapo and taken to Austria to work in most terribly condition as a slave for Austrian farmers.
It is a true story, extremely well written and researched, and since I did not know anything about such events, I found it to be a most interesting read as well.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Good book I thought would only interst the guys Empty Re: Good book I thought would only interst the guys

Post  lesherb Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:19 pm

I've read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It takes place in 1960s Mississippi during the Civil Rights Era. It was really good.

I've got a few books going at once.

1) In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (true story about a family who was murdered and the perpetrators).
2) Two Rivers by T. Greenwood (single father raising a 10 year old daughter and the unexpected houseguest from a train wreck in the area).
3) Ubroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (about a WWII veteran and his misspent youth and exxperience as a POW in Japan). The author also wrote Seabiscuit.
4) Pictures of the Mind: What the New Neuroscience Tells Us About Who We Are by Miriam Boleyn-Fitzgerald
(Over the past decade, a revolution in medical imaging has allowed researchers to scan the brain of subjects in situ, while setting their minds to an assigned task. Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and positron emission tomography (PET) are revealing, among other discoveries, that the brain of some apparently vegetative patients can be active; the brain's ability to heal and grow well beyond what was previously believed; and the various centers of different behaviors and skills. Physicist and science writer Boleyn-Fitzgerald addresses brain injury, addiction, memory, meditation, and more with summaries of recent research, cogent explanations of what scientists are learning, and plentiful references. Fascinatingly, she illustrates how "knotty questions about morality, blame, and punishment provide abundant raw material for brain researchers," who can assess, for instance, "whether 'normal' brains are wired for altruism and cooperation." Boleyn-Fitzgerald writes in a clear voice, making scientific data engaging and accessible for anyone with an interest in the study of neurology, mindfulness, or behavior).

Quite an eclectic selection. I love my Kindle!

£eslie

Last edited by lesherb on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited to fix underlining)
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:53 pm

I just recently started Hornet Flight. I like Ken Follett. I think anyone who enjoys adventure and intrigue would like his books.

I think one of Follett's books had a character who got migraines. Follett described what it feels like perfectly. It makes me wonder if he has them himself or knows someone close to him who does. I had mixed feelings about his character with migraines.

On the one hand I feel sympathy and empathy for anyone who has migraines. On the other hand the migraine sufferer character was a particularly cruel Nazi officer. One part of me thought, "Good! That's the type of monster who deserves migraines!"

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:24 pm

I've bought the Migraine Art by Klaus Podoll for myself for Xmas,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I am not really reading it, just looking at the pictures, and enjoying it!
Some pictures are even funny. I recommend this book. It truly reflects our experiences visually.

I also started reading "I am Ozzy" by Ozzy Osbourne. It is pretty good! Explains a lot about him.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:34 pm

One of my all time favorite books (and there are MANY) is

Rachel Calof's Story: Jewish Homesteader on the Northern Plains [Paperback]
Rachel Calof (Author), J. Sanford Rikoon (Editor)

Fascinating diary of a Russian woman in an arranged marriage as the homestead in North Dakota. Riveting and I was sad when it ended. I wanted at least 300 more pages.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Hornet's Flight looks pretty intersting. I have about 4 books unfinished--I'll have to catch up.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down