migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Genric Imitirix

+7
amy
hollygolightly
sherri b
Enigma
02R96
rileyoday
msmolly
11 posters

Go down

Genric Imitirix Empty Genric Imitirix

Post  msmolly Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:24 am

Has anyone tried the generic Imitrix? My new insurance company is battling me on my Maxalt till I try some of the cheaper drugs. This is one they offer. Would appreciate any feedback. I have never tried Imitrix at all. Thank you!
msmolly
msmolly

Back to top Go down

Genric Imitirix Empty generix imitrex

Post  rileyoday Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:44 am

Molly, I started on Imitrex the neuro gave me free. As i bought generic it was always labeled sumatriptan. My dose was 100 mg 4-5 times a week. I never noticed a difference between the two. Ask the dr for samples mine had alot. I had alot of joint pain on this.

I took maxalt for awhile and liked it alot. No joint pain, but the M would return after 4-6 hrs.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Genric Imitirix Empty Re: Genric Imitirix

Post  msmolly Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks, great input. I am probably going to have to at least try the generic Imitrix to satisfy my insurance, but my neurologist will bail me out with a few Maxalt if that doesn't work and until we can get the Maxalt approved. I get furious that those of us with this disease have to fight and fight for whatever might allow us to lead a normal life, keep a job, or whatever. Maybe I will get lucky and the generic will work, in which case I would save bookoo bucks a month.
msmolly
msmolly

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:54 am

I've used both the name brand and generic type (injectable). I found no difference between the two; both were just as effective.
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  Enigma Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:17 am

I found no difference between the two either.
Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:26 pm

I have used both. I used the name brand for about 5 years. Then it went generic, once it goes generic, the drs. no longer get samples.

I have found the generic to be almost useless for me. I told my neuro about it and he said it is because when they made the generic, they left out the ingredient that makes it work so fast. He continures to prescribe them for me and I save them for the "not so bad migs". but he also prescribed Treximet for me, it works good for the real bad ones.

Sherri B!
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  hollygolightly Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Have you taken Imitrex before?

I agree with the others - I took Imitrex brand name for years & when they went to generic - I couldn't tell the difference.

Amerge/Naratripton is now available in generic, but the largest dose of naratripton -- 2.5mg -- is very weak.

I am the same boat as you are in. My insurance now refuses to pay for most brand name migraine meds, with the exception of Relpax.

I actually started using Zomig Melts for like a time period before Imitrex went generic..and I really loved Zomig, but my insurance refuses to cover it as well.

Good luck. Smile

hollygolightly

Back to top Go down

Post  amy Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:13 pm

I find that generic Imitrex works fine for me -
amy
amy

Back to top Go down

Post  xmom Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:42 pm

My mom and I have noticed a significant difference between the brand-name and generic. We both took the brand name for years. I used to be able to count on an injection to knock out a bad one in 20-30 minutes. Now sometimes an injection doesn't work at all and I end up having to use another one. My mom has had the same experience. I've noticed a difference with the pills also. When I mentioned this to my neuro, he told me that the reason is because by law, generics only *have* to contain 80% of the stated dose. So most generics try to keep this close to 80 to save money.

Also another important factor is I think there are a couple different pharmaceutical companies that make the generic. So different companies might have slight differences.

xmom

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:57 am

Emily,

I agree 100%. doesn't work for me anymore either. Treximet is the one now for me.
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  314 Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:37 pm

I use both the generic and the brand and never notice a difference between them.

Back to top Go down

Genric Imitirix Empty Re: Genergic Imitrex

Post  EvilFluorescents Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:57 pm

My experience has been that the generic form works just as well as the brand name.

That said, I've had some generics do nothing for me (Dr. Reddy's I believe?). When that happened I went to a different pharmacy (making sure they carried the generic form, manufactured by a different supplier) picked up the script and vuala... migraine relief.

EvilFluorescents

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:24 am

Emily,

that is very interesting that different companies make the generic! So does that mean I can ask my pharmacist to try a different company?

Just wondereing, because the generic pills are very mild compared to the real thing. (Imitrex), but my shots are fine.

Thanks,
Sherri B
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Genric Imitirix Empty Suma- vs Ele- comparison

Post  ahbi Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:38 pm

My insurance is pushing me (gently) to go from Relpax (eletriptain) to generic Imitrex (sumatriptain).
I have been reluctant to do so as (years ago) Imitrex made me nauseous and Replax doesn't.
Anyone have thoughts on on this?

ahbi

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:35 am

Ahbi,

I would not switch to the generic Imitrex unless you absolutely have to. My pharmacist told me when a drug goes generic, it is only required to have 80% of the active ingredient.

The generic doesn't work for me near as good.... just sayin'
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum