migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Negotiating airports....

5 posters

Go down

Negotiating airports.... Empty Negotiating airports....

Post  hpilgrim Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi all ----
I have a question - I am not a traveler by plane, so I don't have a lot of experience in this matter - hopefully someone can answer a question.

My son wants to drive to FL with his girlfriend for xmas break, and come back alone by plane, on Christmas EVE... I am wondering how much of a bad idea this might be...!

Any advice? (He would be flying out of Orlando, Florida)

THANKS!
Holly
hpilgrim
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

Negotiating airports.... Empty Re: Negotiating airports....

Post  HeelerLady Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:40 am

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea but I'd see if it's even possible. Flights be already be booked or at least are going to be very pricey. My mom and brother did something similar 2 summers ago and it worked well.

Hope this is helpful. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  hpilgrim Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks.... pricey doesn't sound good... he may have to rethink this --

I just didn't want him to have to sleep in the airport :-)

Happy birthday!
Holly
hpilgrim
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:59 am

Thanks Holly. Smile

I don't know that it will be expensive but if I remember right, flights around the holidays go up in price (because everyone wants to fly). Check it out, there still might be deals out there.

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:58 pm

I have slept in many airports around the world Holly and because of the security, especially in recent years, it is probably one of the safest places in the world to have a nap.

The chairs are never good to sleep on, they always have the arm dividers, but usually carpets are cleaned two or three times a day, and there is usually a quiet area in the boarding gate lounge to curl up with your bag under your head.

My son is a huge traveller, his last trip of ten months going all through Asia, Russia and Europe - never a drama, except his man-bag being stolen I think in Sweden of all places. The world is a much nicer place than most people think.

As for Christmas, it will be busier maybe, but usually quite jolly from past experience.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:36 pm

Personally, I'd avoid this like the plague. Then again, I am not a young man in love.

Orlando (MCO) is a very busy airport with lots of small children (because of Disney). It is a big Christmas destination. That being said, leaving MCO probably won't be a that much of a problem. Most people will be arriving.

If Southwest is an option for airlines, they don't charge an arm and leg for one way tickets.

MCO also employs those body scanners which are in the news nowadays. Your son will face the option of going through one of those or being "pat down".

I hope I've helped. I have a nagging feeling I haven't Sad
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  hpilgrim Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:55 pm

Thanks, everybody---
Leslie, we hadn't really thought about the scanners...! So yes, as usual, you helped... I hate for him to go so far, but it's inevitable. I am losing my baby Crying or Very sad
love to all,
Holly
hpilgrim
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:16 am

I hate airports. It makes me so mad that you get treated like a potential terrorist. I want to scream when an obviously European mother and her baby have to defend themselves for bringing a milk bottle. Same goes for elderly travelers from who could not look more innocent. Minorities must not be offended under any circumstances. It is common sense and political correctness completely gone overboard. I recently read that this madness is about to be stopped. Apparently profiling is the way forward. Thank god for that.

Sorry for the rant!

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum