migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FDA Removes Darvon / Darvocet article link

+4
lesherb
HeelerLady
CluelessKitty
Mule Kick
8 posters

Go down

FDA Removes Darvon / Darvocet article link Empty FDA Removes Darvon / Darvocet article link

Post  Mule Kick Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:37 pm

Here is a link to an article saying that the FDA has removed approval for Darvon and Darvocet. confused

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/19/fda.removes.drug/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

FDA Removes Darvon / Darvocet article link Empty Re: FDA Removes Darvon / Darvocet article link

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Oh. Looks like it wasn't an anti - narcotic witch's hunt, but the drug caused irregular heartbeat.
Hmmm.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

FDA Removes Darvon / Darvocet article link Empty Re: FDA Removes Darvon / Darvocet article link

Post  HeelerLady Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Risa,

From what I read (and I could be wrong, dang M), is that they've always known about this. For some reason they only recently decided that this is a problem. I think the drug has been on the market 30 years...

I wonder if it isn't a pre-emptive strike considering Celebrex and _____(there was another one that I can't think of) and they didn't want bad press on it?

Sorry for the brevity but I'm in a fioricet fog and words are escaping me.

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:31 pm

Heeler Lady, I think the med you are forgetting is Vioxx. It worked really well for my plantar fasciitis! Oh well.

I can't believe Darvocet and Darvon are gone, though.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:41 pm

lesherb - thank you! That was it! I had it for a second and then it evaporated. Such is the life of a migraineur on drugs. Razz

I thought Darvocet was fairly safe though... I feel for my fellow sufferers who may have been using that with success.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:13 pm

I've taken both Darvon and Darvocet with out problems. I found it to be a mild alternative to Vicodin.
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Oh, again. I am not familiar with this med and its history at all, hence my reply - naive as it turns out.
Sorry.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  lrobb98 Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:27 pm

I think this is not good news for pain sufferers; it limits even further our choices. We need milder alternatives. Larry Robbins,M.D.

lrobb98

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:04 pm

I fear this is a witch hunt against all of the evil narcotics. Shades of Reefer Madness
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:32 pm

So... why (after 30 or so years on the market) is it being pulled now? Suspect
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  kathy Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:08 pm

About 30 years ago there was darvon compound and people were dying but.....it was an ingredient not the Darvon. can't remember what it was but they removed it and it looked ok.
Last year they were trying to remove it but passed. If I had known this I would have stocked up. Does this mean it is off the market in Canada also?

This sucks for me!!! I have used it for years without problems. Now I'll have to use vicodin and hope I don't lose my hearing!
kathy

kathy

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:34 pm

As long as you don't abuse Vicodine and take huge quantities for a sustained period of time (as Rush Limbaugh did), your hearing should be OK. I've been using various forms of Hydrocodone (the opiate ingredient) for 10+ years without any problems. However, I don't use them to get high either.

I'm more concerned with the amount of APAP I'm receiving. From what I understand, individually neither one actually causes hearing problems, but rather the combination of the two. And I'm not sure if a positive connection has been verified. The APAP (or Acetaminophen) is very toxic to the liver, so the amount per day maximum is around 1800mg?

I'm no expert, but I play one on the internet. affraid
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down