migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

+5
survivor
kimsmom
Paradox
Petzi
Ruth
9 posters

Go down

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Empty Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Post  Ruth Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:14 pm

Do any of you have this? I've been thinking that perhaps I have it to a certain degree.

I cannot stand any clutter around me, and things like a pile of books or magazines have to be straight and if they're not, I have to
straighten them. My husband tends to leave a lot of stuff lying around to make the house look untidy, papers, tools, pop cans etc. etc. and it drives me crazy, he knows I hate it and does his best to tidy up some of the time.

Also, we have an ottoman in our living room and if it's not straight and in line with the couch, I have to straighten it! I know it sounds crazy, and wondered if anybody else has this problem. I wish things didn't bother me like they do, but I know I could be a lot worse.

Can anyone relate?

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Empty Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Post  Petzi Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Ruth,

I think you might be suffering from Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) instead of obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

Obsessive–compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) is a personality disorder which involves an obsession with perfection, rules, and organization. People with OCPD may feel anxious when they perceive that things are not right. This can lead to routines and rules for ways of doing things, whether for themselves or their families.

OCD is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by a combination of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions).

I am not a psychologist, but to me it sounds like you have a preoccupation with perfection, but don't suffer from repetitive compulsions (the hallmark of OCD). I would suggest to do some research online to establish which one rings more true for you

I had OCD as a child. I obsessively washed my hands and had an obsession with switching off lights, and flushing the toilet (yes, really!). I was like a mini Howard Hughes. Nobody recognized this back than. I was even told off for the hand washing. So I suffered from the compulsion to wash my hands and had to do it in secret because of fear of punishment. My anxiety level went trough the roof. Luckily I grew out of it, only to have my anxieties manifest themselves in different forms.

I am totally convinced that in my case the migraines and anxiety are deeply connected. I believe that all this is rooted in early childhood experiences when I have been rejected and abandoned by my mother and my brain became hardwired into anxiety overdrive. Babies who have never been taught to talk will never be able to regain their speech later in life because they have missed that crucial developmental window. I feel I have been trapped in a fixed pattern of anxiety, because at this crucial developmental window when I should have been loved and protected, I was rejected and abandoned and in turn lost the ability to relax, feel save and at ease for ever.

Keep us informed about your findings.

Love.

P.

Last edited by Petzi on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:43 pm

Nice explanation Petzi.

Sounds a little bit like it Ruth. I had a friend who couldn't stand clutter. I loved her enough not to be insulted when she would start rearranging the magnet, paper clutter mess on my frig. Helped me be more organized and it calmed her down.

Are you like that only in you house Ruth? Or do you feel the need to arrange things at others homes and businesses?
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:20 am

Thanks for this information Petzi, it does sound more like what you suggested, and I am going to be doing some research on line!
I certainly don't have the need to repeat things over and over, just the neatness thing.

Charlotte, yes I am the same in anybody's home. I have already explained to my dear daughter in laws that I have this problem, and one of them told me 'please go ahead and tidy up all you want'!!!

Sorry my reply is short, I have a headache today Neutral I do appreciate your replies.

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:35 am

Ruth,

Petzi gave a great explanation. It sounds like you have the same thing as my mom. I never thought of it as OCPD until I read Petzi's post. My mother is a very high strung person and we thought it was just that she could not sit still. Therefour she would constantly get rid of clutter and straighten pictures etc...

Have you always had this? My mother has always had this and we just thought it was part of her personality. She would drive us nuts when she came to visit to the point where my ex husband would put a waffle iron on the counter and say let see how long it takes for your mother to comment. She would say to me doesnt this drive you crazy having this sitting here? It could be anything. Honestly I never paid it any mind about the clutter or whatever. It never bothered me.

I do not have a messy home but without a basement we have limited space. Now that there is a name for this it makes more sence to me. Hopefully you can find some information on the internet and it will be helpful to you.

Hope your headache gets better Ruth. Not to worry about the OCPD. It is not a bad thing to have. In fact it keeps you busy and your mind off the headache to clean things up. That is how my mother thinks of it. She has bad migraines too.

Hugs to you Ruth,

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks Pam, I still haven't researched it, I've been busy today and haven't really had a chance.

I don't think I'm a really bad case, I'm sure there are others much worse than me, in fact my house is such a mess right now as hubby has been fixing things and I'm trying to be patient as I know things will be put away soon. On monday I want to clean the house so I'll let it be for now (even though it really bothers me!). I usually ask him to put his things away before I clean house.

Interesting that you think your mum has it too! Maybe I'll go look it up now.

Thanks again!

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:12 pm

Ruth, you aren't alone. The family jokes about my SIL and I. We say we arn't OCD but CDO - that's alphabetical like it ought to be!

I used to be a lot worse when I was younger but have noticed some symptoms returning. Ours included things like bras and panties must match clothes. Hers is to the extent that twice a year she goes and buys all matching bras and panties and throws the old ones out.

I alphabetized my canned goods and spices.

My son and I both still alphabetize DVDs and CDs.

As a child I would cry if my crayons were in the box in the wrong order. I couldn't handle having the big 64 box because I couldn't select the best way to organize them and keep them that way. They literally made me cry.

Just a few examples to make you feel a little better. Smile

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Ruth,

I just wanted to add that good housekeeping doesn't automatically mean that you have some sort of personality disorder. It's pretty normal to want to have a neat and tidy home.

Things start to get more problematic if the following applies to you:

1. Preoccupation with details, rules, lists, order, organization, or schedules to the extent that the major point of the activity is lost

2. Perfectionism that interferes with task completion (e.g., is unable to complete a project because his or her own overly strict standards are not met)

3. Excessive devotion to work and productivity to the exclusion of leisure activities and friendships (not accounted for by obvious economic necessity)

4. Over conscientiousness and inflexibility about matters of morality, ethics, or values (not accounted for by cultural or religious identification)

5. Inability to discard worn-out or worthless objects even when they have no sentimental value

6. Reluctance to delegate tasks or to work with others unless they submit to exactly his or her way of doing things

7. Adopting a miserly spending style toward both self and others; money is viewed as something to be hoarded for future catastrophes

8. Showing rigidity and stubbornness

I hope this helps.

Love

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:57 am

Very interesting thread, Ruth.
Somehow, I do not think your problem is very serious. However, if/when such compulsions begin to interfere with your work, or relationships it is time maybe, to seek advice.

It is understandable that you have a need to keep things neat and tidy - it makes life more simple.
And I should know, since I am not very organised, specially when I am not feeling well I get forgetful, drop things etc. I try to tidy up as soon as I can, but I have no routines due to my health, and I know that untidiness makes life more difficult. I hate it, but I have also learned to live with it, since I have to.
I also had also periods in my life when I could be called obsessive about order. Now I am more relaxed - stressing is bad.

BTW, who is not familiar with that charming and impossible detective Monk?
H e is that extreme example - his need to have everything in order takes over, his life is ruled by it. Not so good!

But learning more about a subject like OCD or OCPD, is always usueful. Because looking at Petzi's list I think we all have it to certain degree, only some might be affected more, then others.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:18 am

Ruth - you can come visit me anytime and straighten up. I'm wondering if my personality is related though. I often don't do certain tasks because they can't be done perfect. I'm not as bad as I used to be. I like things perfect but instead of being rationale about it and doing it as good as I can at the time, I will put it off until it can be done "perfect" which it never is. Instead of looking like a perfectionist, it appears to be the opposite. When it comes to cleaning, I would rather do one room perfect than 8 rooms so-so. My life is so busy I am learning to settle for "so-so". Don't like it though. I'm like that with my clothes also. Everything has to be perfectly ironed with matching accessories to the hilt. I love fashion but my perfection in that drives me nuts sometimes.

My gardening costs me a fortune every year because it has to be perfect. It can't be perfect unless you can add annuals in the proper places.

Wow, I think I really do have somewhat of this disorder. It doesn't really interfere so much with my life but it is stressful. I wonder if this has anything to do with migraines. interesting topic.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks so much for all your replies. Reading through them and thinking more about this, I think I have come to the conclusion that I'm not really as bad as I first thought. I guess I basically like a home to be neat and tidy and clutter free, which unfortunately isn't always the case, if I have clutter around me it really bothers me so I try to tidy up as much as possible. As I said before, my husband tends to leave things around the house that I find annoying but I try and imagine what it would be like if something were to happen to him, I'd then be glad to have all the clutter!

So I don't think I'm crazy, just a neat freak!

Thanks again.

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  hpilgrim Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:59 pm

I might have this to a small degree - I can hardly stand to go into my DIL's house, and SHE can't stand anyone touching her things (which are usually in a mess) --

I think she has it worse than I do, she just wants her mess to be HER mess....
I stay out of trouble and usually stay home... :-)

You're fine,
love ya,
Holly
hpilgrim
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:10 am

I have a saying at my house "I don't care if you write your name in the dust, just please don't date it".

I've decided though that I'm really like Estree, I want it done perfectly and since I can't I don't do it. Brahahahahaha. Just teasing, Estree. I'm just a slob.

Actually, there is a little bit of truth to what you said. When I do get cleaning, I get SO focused on one little area, say the walk-in closet, that it will take me hours. Clothes are hung in a color coordinated, short sleeve to long sleeve manner. No wire or plastic hangers (Just call me Ms. Crawford), shoes are arranged by style and color. It is pristine when I'm done.

However, when I'm done, I'm too pooped to dust the Living Room.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:25 am

You are right Charlotte--than is me also.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:56 pm

How I'd LOVE to have a walk in closet. We live in an older house so the closets are quite small and it's a real pain to put clothes in or take them out, and most of the time they need ironing as they have been too squished!

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:05 am

Ruth, this is the first house I've had one and I must admit its nice, though rather amazing how fast it fills up with other stuff. It's not a huge one, enough room for one person to walk in and turn around.

I do love the character and woodwork in old house though. We're thinking about moving and looking at older house because of that.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:21 am

So jealous! I shouldn't complain though. The vacant bedroom in my apartment does have a walk-in. But it's a smaller room. Maybe I should clean my closet out while it's vacant? Hmmm.... so many things to do, so little that the head allows. Tempting to change rooms but that's so much work....

HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:36 am

We have actually taken out the closets in my old house to have bigger rooms. The small closets were useless as a closet but the extra room made a big difference. I'm using a small bedroom upstairs as a huge walk in closet. So I not only have a huge walk in closet but bigger rooms on the first floor (by the way, I am a huge fashion person with tons of clothes--way too many). Trying to do something about that.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:44 am

Dr. Petzi says you girls are definitely obsessed with closets. Walk-in or not ... cyclops
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:51 am

But Dr. Petzi! It's the only thing in my house that's clean! Razz

Love your idea, Estree. However, I am even more obsessed with bathrooms. I think I would have to take the extra bedroom and make a huge grand bathroom (okay, we're talking lottery dream money now).
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:10 am

bah, there's nothing wrong with being orderly or neat.

heck, there's a whole graduate program called an MBA out there that teaches you to be analytical, neat, and search for the best outcome and decision.

and, if you have a little German in you, (as well as and few other countries) you're going to keep things neat and orderly.

how many of our grandmothers and great grandmothers passed down things about neatness and order?

pirat

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:17 am

Porsche - Don't know if you are kidding or not. I have German in me, and my Grandma's were very neat. I don't think it had anything to do
with their ethnic backgrounds. It had to do with the fact that they did not have to work outside the home and they didn't have the "stuff" that this crazy country makes us think we have to have. No excuses--just a point. Idea

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:37 am

Oh good night! I'm half German and I live in ordered chaos! It's my own system, and if I do clean. Heaven help me if I need something important - can't find it to save my life. I still have no idea what I did with my car title...oops!

I do like to have things tidy but it's my own brand of tidy - no white glove test here. Laughing
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:01 pm

MGB,

I was told in Grad School that a particular branch of my field is known for having immaculate closets. The area of expertise requires attention to detail and perfectionism.

In my job I only have to that type work of occasionally. I can 'turn on" my perfectionism for short periods of time (like long enough to clean a closet Wink ) but can't maintain it.

Heeler,
You mean people know where their car titles are? Really? I thought you just ordered and paid for a lost title when you needed it. I think Marc is cringing right about now! Wink
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:54 pm

i'm not kidding at all. i'm mostly german and ranging from everything has its place to punctuatlity.....LOL.

all of my grandmothers had certain ways of doing things. a few of my grandmother's neighbors were Czech and a few Poles, and they had immaculate houses. of course the english side is very prominent for being neat & tidy as well.

my desk at the moment looks like a tornado has hit it, but i know where everything is. i've had a few docs that didn't understand my research abilities throw in the OCD crap. get's thrown out the window when you say, hello bonehead, I have a dual-masters degrees in fields that require order, attention to detail, and research. guess what doctors, there are other people in the world that have brains--and gasp, are even smarter than you!

alas, yes, i'll certainly take my heritage into being neat detail-oriented. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down